Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is there an interstate near where you live?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So I was randomly thinking. Sometimes I do that waaaaaaay too much. I was thinking about the new Interstate that is going through my county, something that is a fairly big deal for around here. Tons of possibilities for expansion and new businesses as a bunch of the land near the Interstate exit has been bought for commercial use. That is a pretty exciting though. 

So in my thought of randomness of Interstatey wonder, it makes me think, what about other interstates and where they are located, what impact they have had. 

Brings me to the weird question: Do you live near an interstate? Is there a lot of business and such near the particular area where you live close to it?

• Brohoof 1

Yes and yes to both questions, I live near the I5 which goes from the US-Mexico border into Oregon. Since I am in North County the San Diego part of it is the part I am closest to. Where I live there is a decent amount of business but not quite as much as there is further south toward the city of San Diego. North County has been built up fairly significantly these last 30 years or so, with some recent projects coming up within 10-15 minutes of where I live with all these new apartments opening up which has brought a lot of new business.

Interstate? What's an interstate? :P

I suppose the equivalent in Ireland would be the Motorway, the road system that connects the major cities to each other. I live closest to the N3 route, but since Dublin is like the center point for the entire network, you really aren't far from it anywhere here. Shortly after it was completed, a major shopping plaza was constructed over time, and now it's one of the busiest shopping districts in the country.

blanchardstown_5.jpg

You can see a part of the N Route at the bottom there, but yeah, there was a time where that whole stretch of land was empty fields. All that has happened in just over 10 years.

• Brohoof 1

Closest thing we have in New Zealand are State Highways, though we don't actually have any form of state like the U.S.A., I live about 5 minute's drive from one - they're hardly anything big, 4-lane carriageways in cities and glorified 2-lane roads rurally.

I don't live close to any interstates. Closest one might be I-44 in Missouri. That is to the north.

To the west, I'd say closest is I-49, and to the south would be I-40 or I-30...

And to the east would be I-555 and the main one I-55.

Interstates from all 4 directions are all 2 hours plus drive away from me, I must live out in the sticks to live so far away from any interstates. xD

This area is interstate-less, and not very populated. So yeah.

(When I was living in Colorado, it was I-70, I-25, I-76, I-225, and I-270 all were close and that's listing all the interstates in Colorado as a whole. xD)

In Australia, we have A routes and M routes. An A route (A48) passes through my home town while the closest M route is M31.

The M routes are the closest thing in Australia to America's Interstates.

So I was randomly thinking. Sometimes I do that waaaaaaay too much. I was thinking about the new Interstate that is going through my county, something that is a fairly big deal for around here. Tons of possibilities for expansion and new businesses as a bunch of the land near the Interstate exit has been bought for commercial use. That is a pretty exciting though. 

So in my thought of randomness of Interstatey wonder, it makes me think, what about other interstates and where they are located, what impact they have had. 

Brings me to the weird question: Do you live near an interstate? Is there a lot of business and such near the particular area where you live close to it?

Is it 99? in PA? I think they're still working on opening that one

And yep, we have an interstate that runs through my city, but only one and it doesn't branch off. Quite a lot of fun to ride on, actually. I usually hit 100 on it as soon as I get off the ramp just for shiggles

(edited)

Mine is I-278, one of the most congested highways in the nation. It still has one of the fastest routes to Manhattan through the express buses in the HOV lanes, but they're subject to a major choke point at the Verrazano Bridge as well as lane violators. The highway itself is often subject to construction and random slowdowns on approaches to hills.

Also, I doubt anyone here wants to pay $11-16 to use a bridge.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I live, like, RIGHT on a network of interstates now that I live in the more metropolitan area of my state. I also lived right by an interstate when I lived in a smaller area too. It is so convenient - I can't imagine not having it. The interstate is an easy way to get from place to place quickly and without fuss. I use the interstate daily to go everywhere in my city - my work, the mall, my college, my friends' homes. It connects everything. God, if I had to take regular streets with stop lights and stuff to get around everywhere, i would HATE it.

My city of Spokane is one of the main cities that I-90 runs through. We take that to get basically everywhere quickly lol, so there are many businesses that are close to it. 

I live in Sydney so there's a bunch of highways around where I live, most notably is the Great Western Highway (AKA the M4) which connects Sydney with the Western outskirts.

I live in Southern California by both Interstate 5 and Interstate 15.

It's not part of the interstate system, but I also live just a couple miles from Route 66.

That's basically Barstow, then. :P

I live near the I-405, which is a small branch off the I-5 that goes through the city of LA and Orange County, though both ends of the 405 eventually connect back to the I-5 near San Fernando (North) and Irvine (South). The closest highway, though, would be CA Highway 73 (a toll road basically no one uses) and CA Highway 1, which is California's well-known Coastal Highway.

Up in my old home, though, the closest interstate would be I-280 and the closest highway would be CA Highway 85 and 87.

• Brohoof 1

They built a turnpike that runs just North of my neighborhood around 15 years ago (Geez, I can not believe that has been fifteen years). The area has certainly kind of boomed. Beforehand we had a smoke shop and a pasture for horses. Now we have a Walmart, Sonic, several banks, a pharmacy store, a couple of small shopping strips with other businesses like Papa John's, Subway, etc.

It's actually been nice.

Even though I'm out in the country, I live a mile or two from I-90. It's far enough away not to be much of a bother, though at night with the bedroom windows open I can hear the vehicles driving along it.

Recently they started a major multi-year expansion to convert the section I live by from 4-lanes to 6-lanes, so I will have to find alternate routes to get anywhere once the ramps start closing.

One of the nice things about being near an interstate is you get a couple of decent fast food restaurants at the exits, so if I feel like fast food I can make a 10 minute trip to go grab some despite being in the middle of nowhere.