Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How bad is the crime where you live?

KillerKingBakudan

• 5 months later...
(edited)

It's very split. In Salem there's hardly ever any crime, which I think carries over to the schools since the school system and most of the students there are amazing. In Roanoke, however (where I live), it's pretty bad (about 4.5k incidents per 100k people, which is over double that of Salem). I'm lucky enough to live in a tiny neighborhood in the calmer area of Roanoke (about 300 feet from the border with Salem), so I never hear about anything.

What surprised me was the crime rate in Norfolk, which is where I went to college for a year, is about 1k less than Roanoke. I swear there was an incident on or near campus at least twice a month.

Edited by Booker

• 3 years later...

Not much really. It's actually a pretty safe neighbourhood. :)

The area I grew up in, not so much. It's infamous for being the most dangerous area in my state. :eww:

Crime is VERY low where I currently live. It's probably the number one thing that I'm nervous about in moving. I will be stepping outside of this safety bubble, for sure... But I'm leaving because the government itself isn't safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Supposedly I live in one of the highest crime towns in my state. So that’s fun. 

Thankfully my family and I have always been alright if things really are that bad around here…

Crime rates were somewhat low for my city before Covid. Since 2020 though, it's gone up drastically. My part of the city isn't too bad, but there was a stabbing only a few blocks from my house just a week or two ago. Got home and there were police everywhere. :sealed:

It could definitely be safer. 2 attempted burglaries, 2 successful thefts.

Even then, my municipality is a tourist and trade port destination, so the government has taken some attempts to secure it. Or the touristy areas at least, the residential areas are as decrepit as ever.

The inner municipalities are even worse off, though. There's a particularly infamous one I had to take a bus to. Within 10 seconds of disembarking, stuff was going down. Never again.

Edited by Dignity
vocab change

It depends. In the specific city I live it’s your usual affair of petty crimes like theft and shoplifting alongside drugs. Toledo as a whole, eh it’s not the safest city according to the stats. Lot of shootings but almost all of them are gang related. I still feel pretty damn safe in the city though since it’s mainly specific bad neighborhoods where the worst crime is. Avoid those and you’re fine.

• 5 months later...

The police department disbanded here, but most people are armed so things are still quiet. I know stealing tires/rims is big but I park in a garage so I'm not worried.