Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro's testing the water with Lyra x BonBon

Buck Testa

12745570_1266482730035828_45296143218691

If you didn't see the little caption that came with it, what would you think about this hasbro picture?  One royal married couple, another married couple, and then Lyra and BonBon hugging, all in the same heart for their little valentines day picture. 

The little caption on the bottom was enough for them to get away with the "best friend" thing they keep trying to shoe in with Lyra and Bon Bon

Celebrate your special somepony on Hearts and Hooves Day whether it’s the one you love, or simply your best friend! 

but come on, look at it. They are clearly testing the waters. 

lyra_and_bonbon_are_having_a_moment_____211.gifmy_little_pony_s05e09_1080p_hd__1080p__m

If they feel that it is safe for them to have such a couple as a lesbian pairing and feel there is money in that move I'm sure they would do it. Other shows now a days have been profiting off of the fanfare towards "alternate pairings" like Steven Universe, Legend of Korra, and Adventure Time, So I'm sure Hasbro's team is definitely considering bringing a canon lesbian pairing into the show. Personally I'd like to see a Male pairing show up but hey any move towards the Lgbt direction is a good one in my book. 

• Brohoof 14

I would celebrate the day when Hasbro would full on show that they are a couple in the show itself. All of the fear against it is something I want to see fought against. Shining Armor and Cadence love each other, and if Lyra and Bon Bon did, then that would be literally the same thing. Sadly they are still background ponies so even then it wouldn't mean much. 

In fact, I can guarantee you that the card they are on is not implying anything. 

• Brohoof 4

I would celebrate the day when Hasbro would full on show that they are a couple in the show itself. All of the fear against it is something I want to see fought against. Shining Armor and Cadence love each other, and if Lyra and Bon Bon did, then that would be literally the same thing. Sadly they are still background ponies so even then it wouldn't mean much. 

In fact, I can guarantee you that the card they are on is not implying anything. 

That's why I'm saying they are testing the waters. They are clearly thinking about making that move, but you know those conservative religious nuts would jump at the opportunity to screech at hasbro over something like that. Its gone over well with Steven Universe and others, so perhaps they'll take the plunge, but with them being a buisness I can understand the need for caution. 

• Brohoof 3

That's why I'm saying they are testing the waters. They are clearly thinking about making that move, but you know those conservative religious nuts would jump at the opportunity to screech at hasbro over something like that. Its gone over well with Steven Universe and others, so perhaps they'll take the plunge, but with them being a buisness I can understand the need for caution. 

I do hope it will eventually lead to something official. A show that teaches about friendship and other morals could also be a good way to tell people "Hey, if you happen to not be heterosexual, then that is perfectly okay." One can dream I suppose. 

• Brohoof 5

They really should, my younger siblings are being taught about sexuality and they are between 8 - 13 years old, don't see why it would do any harm. Worst case scenario is surely a kid saying ''Hey mom, why are these two girls together, or why are they kissing?'' Depending on the parent either they would stop them watching the show, explain to them in a decent way about modern day couples, or tell them when they are older.

Hasbro is already making alot of progress in counting in boys in the toy sales and image of the show so doing this would be amazing :D 

• Brohoof 2

I thought Big Jim confirmed that Lyra and Bon Bon were just friends on twitter a while back.

But thankfully/hopefully this means that all of the shipteasing that the two have gotten through their cameo in Rainbow Rocks, all of their interactions and body language in Slice of Life, the entirety of their Friendship Games Short, and of course:

medium.png

weren't for nothing/ weren't just really thorough and mean teases.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Hopefully that happens. This is certainly the time to do it considering how lgbt friendly cartoons are getting. 

It'd be nice, but Hasbro doesn't have a good track record when it comes to soccer moms raising up a complaint. They give in almost instantly, so I will not be holding my breath for it.

It'd be nice, but Hasbro doesn't have a good track record when it comes to soccer moms raising up a complaint. They give in almost instantly, so I will not be holding my breath for it.

That's why I'm saying they are testing the waters. It all comes down to whether or not its worth it to risk the Soccer mom uprising. You gotta admit Lyra and Bon Bon were no where NEAR that touchy feely before. They are trying to gauge how far they can get without raising a stink 

That's why I'm saying they are testing the waters. It all comes down to whether or not its worth it to risk the Soccer mom uprising. You gotta admit Lyra and Bon Bon were no where NEAR that touchy feely before. They are trying to gauge how far they can get without raising a stink 

It's possible, or it's just possible they are just pushing for them as best friends. Considering we have been given no confirmation, I won't jump to any conclusions.

Steven Universe can 'get away with it' as it's a small blip on the radar of global media.

Hasbro is a big shaker in the toy world; exporting to a wide variety of countries. They have to deal with other cultures as well as the traditionalist side of the West.

That they sell items that are essentially 'child development aids' means any reaction will be all the greater than the content of a cartoon unassociated with any product.

Would I like to see this happen? Yes (though morally and objectively, OctiScratch would be better). Do I think Hasbro will? Not yet. Could still be too much of a risk. I can see them pulling more stuff like this (if it's what we think it is) and/or watching other people try first.

Or they're being massive tease-merchants and the fandom is acting just like they think it would.

• Brohoof 1

Why are people sayin' things like, '' it is too risky '' '' they can get away with it since x y z '' what do people actually think is gonna happen? x)  We live in the 21st century not the 20th century where these things may have not been so public, but now it is part of every day western life. If tomorrow they released an episode showing these two without a shadow of a doubt in a relationship the backlash would be so little it wouldn't even matter :D 

• Brohoof 1

Why are people sayin' things like, '' it is too risky '' '' they can get away with it since x y z '' what do people actually think is gonna happen? x)  We live in the 21st century not the 20th century where these things may have not been so public, but now it is part of every day western life. If tomorrow they released an episode showing these two without a shadow of a doubt in a relationship the backlash would be so little it wouldn't even matter :D

Nothing is going to happen because gays are old news. 

I highly doubt this show will actually go beyond just implied closeness, but if G3 could get away with blatant lesbianism then why not? I like to think these two can let what happens behind the waterfall stay behind the waterfall though. I honestly don't think we'll ever see anything super blatant, but as this is a series that always leaves room for headcanons, I think that's still an invitation to think of them as a couple. Maybe that's just something intended for older fans to notice while it flies over the heads of children, which isn't uncommon in a series like FiM.

You'd be amazed what some religous folks will try to do when they think a show is trying to "indoctrinate their kids" or some other bullsh*t excuse to hate on lgbt things they can come up with. 

There is a gay couple in Littlest Pet Shop, so why not a lesbian couple in My Little Pony? (Littlest Pet Shop is also owned by Hasbro) 

attachicon.gifGay.png

Oh Really now?! 

Well that makes things a whole lot more interesting if Hasbro's already made those moves in another show. 

Oh Really now?! 

Well that makes things a whole lot more interesting if Hasbro's already made those moves in another show. 

Littlest Pet Shop is not exactly popular, so they could get away with more things, though. I think there were gay mice in g1 of My Little Pony, but it's not confirmed for obvious reasons. It's just two male mice were looking for their children. If opposite-sex couples can show to be in a relationship without ever stating it, then why are same-sex couples any different?