Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Introduction and importance of Butterscotch

ManaMinori

For those not in the know of the history of MLP, Butterscotch was the very first pony character of the franchise, which was originally "My Pretty Pony". She was an earth pony. Do you guys thinkshe should have an appearance in FiM? Should she have more, and be the main character in gen 5?

For those not in the know of the history of MLP, Butterscotch was the very first pony character of the franchise, which was originally "My Pretty Pony". She was an earth pony. Do you guys thinkshe should have an appearance in FiM? Should she have more, and be the main character in gen 5?

Hi, as this thread is more about reflecting on a past gen character than about the current series, I have decided to move it to Sugarcube Corner.

Is there a reason for her to be introduced then I don't see why not.

because she's THE pony who started everything that is MLP, today? And she hasn't gotten any screentime in any generation?
  • Brohoof 1

because she's THE pony who started everything that is MLP, today? And she hasn't gotten any screentime in any generation?

Well, she was one of the the first pony figurines. Saying that she started everything that is MLP today is kind of stretching it.

Well, I might be mistaken, but as far as I know, the original My Pretty Pony has no name. The more colorful re-releases and the eventual MLP were the ones given names. It might be me, as I'm no expert in the matter :huh:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Butterscotch was part of the collector/flatfoot set and there was a Butterscotch in G3, I don't see a problem with her being released as a new character or a toy I guess. She's personally never caught my eye but there are plenty of fans of hers.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I might be mistaken, but as far as I know, the original My Pretty Pony has no name. The more colorful re-releases and the eventual MLP were the ones given names. It might be me, as I'm no expert in the matter :huh:

the My Pretty Pony and Beautiful Baby packaged together came with baby Butterscotch as the flatfoot set. Seeing as how baby ponies of gen1 were named, smaller versions of their "mother", I figure the MPP also had to be named Butterscotch

Butterscotch was part of the collector/flatfoot set and there was a Butterscotch in G3, I don't see a problem with her being released as a new character or a toy I guess. She's personally never caught my eye but there are plenty of fans of hers.

see above post for reply
  • Brohoof 1

I love all the G1 references in FiM and it would be awesome to see the creators of the show acknowledge a pre-G1 character as well!  :love:

My only concern is... What if they introduced Butterscotch to the show as a Granny Smith-like elderly pony? (Personally I'm not a fan of the elderly pony designs and I'd like to see Butterscotch bloom...)

• Brohoof 1

the My Pretty Pony and Beautiful Baby packaged together came with baby Butterscotch as the flatfoot set. Seeing as how baby ponies of gen1 were named, smaller versions of their "mother", I figure the MPP also had to be named Butterscotch

Hmmm, ok, that clears some things up. Previously, the only Butterscotch I've knew, was the fan given name of rule 63 of Fluttershy. You're up to learn something new every day huh  :dash: ? I wouldn't mind if she shows up in FiM, but we have to be sure if Hasbro kept the rights of her :huh: 

• 1 month later...

As a note, I looked at the release dates of the various toys, and while Butterscotch was the first My Little Pony toy released (it was bundled in a My Pretty Pony and Beautiful Baby), there was a full-sized My Pretty Pony toy that was a recolored regular My Pretty Pony toy, but was pink with flank markings (And a manufacturing glitch had some of them be white). It wasn't named at that time, but eventually a G1 My Little Pony toy was released that had the same coloration & cutie-mark named 'Peachy'. So *technically* Peachy predates Butterscotch by about a year, if you can accept that the earlier toy was in fact Peachy given none of the My Pretty Pony toys had names.

I think both Butterscotch and Peachy should appear at some point. Though personally I could see them showing up as contemporaries to Granny Smith, just for a giggle.

As a note, I looked at the release dates of the various toys, and while Butterscotch was the first My Little Pony toy released (it was bundled in a My Pretty Pony and Beautiful Baby), there was a full-sized My Pretty Pony toy that was a recolored regular My Pretty Pony toy, but was pink with flank markings (And a manufacturing glitch had some of them be white). It wasn't named at that time, but eventually a G1 My Little Pony toy was released that had the same coloration & cutie-mark named 'Peachy'. So *technically* Peachy predates Butterscotch by about a year, if you can accept that the earlier toy was in fact Peachy given none of the My Pretty Pony toys had names.

I think both Butterscotch and Peachy should appear at some point. Though personally I could see them showing up as contemporaries to Granny Smith, just for a giggle.

the recolors happened after Beautiful Baby, though. Butterscotch still predates Peachy.

Either way, I agree that both should be thrown into the animation. Preferably in a new generation.

the recolors happened after Beautiful Baby, though. Butterscotch still predates Peachy.

Either way, I agree that both should be thrown into the animation. Preferably in a new generation.

Huh. The various G1 merchandise sites (like Dream Valley) I looked at seemed to indicate that the Peachy recolour was late 1981, where the original toy was early in 1981, and Beautiful Baby was in 1983 just before the relaunch as My Little Pony in 1984. However, it's very possible those sites have it wrong. I don't have the toys myself to look at the release dates.