spoiler The hatred for Batman v Superman shows people are brainwashed.

TheMarkz0ne

I wanted to start off by saying, I thought this movie was 'avergae' or 'medicore'. It did the bare minimum of what it needed to do. I had many issues from the commercializing for the JLU movie. Eisenberg as the happy pill pusher Lex Luthor. Wonder Woman barely being involved in the plot. But the last 15 minutes saved this movie because the fight was just fun to watch and better than any fight Marvel has put on the big screen. Editing in this movie is garbage, nothing naturally flows and I don't feel immersed.

I am laughing over here. people will worship and kneel before Disney/Marvel when movies such as Iron Man 2/Thor.Incredible Hulk/ guardians of the galaxy were just commercials for bigger productions like Avengers. 

I don't  know why DC is being criticized for wanting to set things up for JLU(poorly might I add, but still, they can do it) but everyone bows before Marvel as some perfect god and all these movies have no issues.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah right , anyone who has a different opinion with you are brainwashed , it seems that we have an Einstein over here. 

To be fair though, I did felt that the movie was mediocre but not terrible. There are so many things that they could have done to save the movie but didn't, which just make the movie even more disappointing.

Edited by White
  • Brohoof 6

I am laughing over here. people will worship and kneel before Disney/Marvel when movies such as Iron Man 2/Thor.Incredible Hulk/ guardians of the galaxy were just commercials for bigger productions like Avengers. I don't know why DC is being criticized for wanting to set things up for JLU(poorly might I add, but still, they can do it) but everyone bows before Marvel as some perfect god and all these movies have no issues.

I've never witnessed this phenomena really, but if it does exist then it's because people hold DC up to a higher standard than Marvel.  Marvel have never produced anything even remotely as good as Watchmen or V for Vendetta, or most of the Batman films ('most' excluding Batman forever and Batman and Robin).

Incidentally I haven't seen Batman vs Superman yet, so cannot comment on it specifically.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Or, you know, it could just not be that good of a movie.

It sounds like a lot of the problems of recent DC films sounds like they're all trying to both ride off the success of both Marvel's films and trying to make all of them like The Dark Knight Trilogy. The problem with the latter is that that style really only works for Batman. People want a good Superman movie that feels like Superman, not a Chris Nolan-like Batman movie with Superman instead.

I still have yet to watch BvS, and I do intend to watch it some time this week, but it does sound like a lot of things I was worried about came into fruition

• Brohoof 4

I wanted to start off by saying, I thought this movie was 'avergae' or 'medicore'. It did the bare minimum of what it needed to do. I had many issues from the commercializing for the JLU movie. Eisenberg as the happy pill pusher Lex Luthor. Wonder Woman barely being involved in the plot. But the last 15 minutes saved this movie because the fight was just fun to watch and better than any fight Marvel has put on the big screen. Editing in this movie is garbage, nothing naturally flows and I don't feel immersed.

I am laughing over here. people will worship and kneel before Disney/Marvel when movies such as Iron Man 2/Thor.Incredible Hulk/ guardians of the galaxy were just commercials for bigger productions like Avengers. 

I don't  know why DC is being criticized for wanting to set things up for JLU(poorly might I add, but still, they can do it) but everyone bows before Marvel as some perfect god and all these movies have no issues.

Your logic makes no sense. You are saying DC is doing a poor job, and clearly marvel is doing a better job at it, but people are being "brainwashed" into liking marvel movies over this movie? A movie, again, that you have said is just not up to snuff? 

News flash, all movies and franchises are out there to make money, including Marvel/Disney and DC. Marvel is doing that job better than DC right now. They've paced out their MCU over a great number of movies while DC is trying to play catch-up with just a couple. If DC had wised up and made their bid for the Justice league sooner and made the journey more gradual you wouldn't have this mess of a movie called Batman v Superman. 

They got so many people hyped to see this movie, and then they went and botched it by trying to set way too many things up for the future while neglecting the very thing a movie is supposed to accomplish; tell a cohesive story. 

• Brohoof 3

Personally, I would rather watch Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin over Batman V Superman.  That campy film was a better popcorn flick than Zack Snyder's attempt at turning the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel into their own Leonidas.  Hell, I'll take the Bat Credit Card over that scattered mess.

• Brohoof 6

So you give us perfect examples for why the movie is bad, yet call us who find it bad to be brainwashed?

I find the movie to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Mostly because the issues that you mentioned. And unlike you I found the fight to be nothing to hang in the christmas tree, so there wasn't really anything to redeem the faults of the movie.

• Brohoof 1

So you list reasons to why the movie isn't good then you call people brainwashed for thinking the movie isn't good? 

Interesting. 

From what I have heard, there are many, many problems with the film. The casting the pacing, the ending, I have heard many negative things about it and from what I have seen, they make sense. 

• Brohoof 3

I haven't seen Batfleck v Superman yet, and I honestly don't want to.  The casting turned me off to it from the get go, and what footage I've seen in the trailer tells me I probably shouldn't bother.  But so far as your issues with others' perception of DC films and Marvel films...

Marvel has, up to this point, done a MUCH better job of creating a cohesive film universe.  While there have been hiccups all along and casting issues on their side of things as well, what they've ended up with is both functional and kind of exciting for anyone who gives a damn about Marvel superheroes.  Marvel is more or less delivering what people seem to want, and DC is awkwardly playing catch-up. 

I think Marvel also has the edge where television is concerned.  Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Daredevil are better written, higher quality products than Arrow and The Flash (even though I still watch both when they pop up on Hulu and definitely prefer the latter).  Every so often, the two DC series pull a crossover with each other.  But S.H.I.E.L.D. ties into the films and occasionally brings in Asgard warriors and Nick Fury, and Daredevil cast Vincent freakin' D'Onofrio as Kingpin (spoiler: he was perfect).

• Brohoof 2

@@C. Thunder Dash,

It was based on the Frank Miller comic "The Dark Knight Returns" featuring an older, bigger Batman who relied more on strength than other versions, thus telling why they chose Ben Affleck as Batman.

As a fan of DC, I will admit that I'm biased, but I REALLY enjoyed the film. It was everything I wanted. I suppose I could see why it was confusing, but I tend to think really quickly. Most people I've talked to who know DC's comics have really enjoyed the film, and I think you need to have an understanding of the comics.

Whatever pleases people is what should be delivered. If people like their Disney/Marvel movies, give them more. And they're not just commercials, it's a building overall story arc that will meet in one big movie. Sure it makes them money, but it makes people happy. Marvel has something that DC doesn't. Well developed characters. Both Batman and Superman are viewed as people who get to do basically anything they want. They have no real internal struggles, and while Batman can at least be physically injured, Superman remains invincible. Now sure, people can say that Kryptonite or the whole "solar radiation" thing from Man of Steel can work, but there's always someone else to go ahead and bail Superman out. He relies on Deus ex Machina whenever he's in any serious danger. Marvel heroes have internal struggle and problems of their own. They're real people in the eyes of the viewers. It makes them more appealing. But all that aside, it's an entertainment business, and entertainment is subjective. 

bjective. 

I would argue the exact opposite, I don't really feel any emotion or sympathy for Marvel's characters. Batman is trying to save the city that refuses to be saved, he's a man among gods, fighting alongside the likes of Flash and Superman with just his brain. Superman owes the world nothing, yet he chooses to save it time and time again, he will never stop fighting until all of mankind is safe and free. Plus, DC has WAY better villains, and the fact that the films take a serious tone is something that the superhero genre desperately needs to become a more respected genre.

Superman is also weak to red sun radiation and magic.

I respect your opinion that you suggest Marvel characters are better, but to call out DC's characters is foolish and ignorant. I thought little of Superman's character until I read Red Son, I would highly recommend it.

Edited by Jellal Fernandes

I would argue the exact opposite, I don't really feel any emotion or sympathy for Marvel's characters. Batman is trying to save the city that refuses to be saved, he's a man among gods, fighting alongside the likes of Flash and Superman with just his brain. Superman owes the world nothing, yet he chooses to save it time and time again, he will never stop fighting until all of mankind is safe and free. Plus, DC has WAY better villains, and the fact that the films take a serious tone is something that the superhero genre desperately needs to become a more respected genre.

Superman is also weak to red sun radiation and magic.

I respect your opinion that you suggest Marvel characters are better, but to call out DC's characters is foolish and ignorant.

I appreciate the criticism. I'll continue to refine my argument with a few more points. While I did say Superman is "Invincible," I did say that when his out-of-nowhere weaknesses came into play, deus ex machina occurs, immediately resolving said problem. Batman's just a rich dude who can amass military grade weapons and arms via cash piles. He's not really special. His parents are dead, and he's pissed at the world. Superman is portrayed as being compelled to do good. It's just not normal. He's got no real motivation other than that it makes him feel good. Everyone that completes volunteer work, cleanup/rehab efforts, medical work, etc. has a story as to why they do what they do. Superman doesn't. He's a hero because he wants to be a hero. DC comics has crazed and outlandish stories, and while it makes thing entertaining, it's not for everyone. Marvel has taken a more real-world, down-to-Earth approach. From recent movies, they've portrayed very relatable characters. Star-Lord wants to protect people because he couldn't do it for his mother, and he also wants to find his father. He's also a bit mischievous and likes to cause a little mayhem when he can. People can relate to that. He's like the cool kid in school with a bad home-life who gets in trouble to get attention. There's Ant-Man, the ex-criminal who wants to do good for a change, the Punisher, who's basically a real-world version of Batman because he actually harbors a grudge against the world and kills because of it, and plenty other examples that I'm just to lazy to mention. 

I appreciate the criticism. I'll continue to refine my argument with a few more points. While I did say Superman is "Invincible," I did say that when his out-of-nowhere weaknesses came into play, deus ex machina occurs, immediately resolving said problem. Batman's just a rich dude who can amass military grade weapons and arms via cash piles. He's not really special. His parents are dead, and he's pissed at the world. Superman is portrayed as being compelled to do good. It's just not normal. He's got no real motivation other than that it makes him feel good. Everyone that completes volunteer work, cleanup/rehab efforts, medical work, etc. has a story as to why they do what they do. Superman doesn't. He's a hero because he wants to be a hero. DC comics has crazed and outlandish stories, and while it makes thing entertaining, it's not for everyone. Marvel has taken a more real-world, down-to-Earth approach. From recent movies, they've portrayed very relatable characters. Star-Lord wants to protect people because he couldn't do it for his mother, and he also wants to find his father. He's also a bit mischievous and likes to cause a little mayhem when he can. People can relate to that. He's like the cool kid in school with a bad home-life who gets in trouble to get attention. There's Ant-Man, the ex-criminal who wants to do good for a change, the Punisher, who's basically a real-world version of Batman because he actually harbors a grudge against the world and kills because of it, and plenty other examples that I'm just to lazy to mention.

This argument is really a matter of opinion, and it's one we don't share. I've had fun with Marvel's movies, but I don't feel that I need to see them. The characters felt bland and uninspired to me. I'm also more into dark and gritty, which is DC's thing. I respect that you prefer Marvel characters, but I don't share that with you. The one Marvel franchise that I've really enjoyed is the X-Men. While I've yet to see the movies and I haven't really delved into the X-Men comics, I've really enjoyed the shows. I do hope that you check out some of DC's more serious stuff like "Watchmen" and "V for Vendetta," my favorite work of fiction. I also hope you check out "Superman: Red Son." If you have any recommendations for me, I'll gladly check them out.

Personally I don't really like any of these superhero action movies out now and wish they'd just stop putting so many out in such a short time. The x-men movies never go away, there's another sequel every 5 minutes, do we really need that? Do we need a war between comic book companies to see who can make the bigger, more over-the-top action/explosion/fighting movie? I don't think we do

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, if I could advise DC I would tell me to invest in their animated films and series.

They've always beat out Marvel soundly in that aspect with only a few exceptions and they could product animated films and series that could be put out more frequently, for longer time frames, and with better continuity than Marvel (see: the X-men vs. the rest of Marvel canon).

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, if I could advise DC I would tell me to invest in their animated films and series.

They've always beat out Marvel soundly in that aspect with only a few exceptions and they could product animated films and series that could be put out more frequently, for longer time frames, and with better continuity than Marvel (see: the X-men vs. the rest of Marvel canon).

Heck, I think it would benefit DC to bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as executive producers, like with Kevin Feige and Marvel.

Wait, so you're defending a movie where Batman guns people down with reckless abandon, including making a guy explode with a hostage right next to him; a movie whose villain was a campier and stupider bastardization than anything Joel Schumacher could have dreamed up; a movie that made Wonder Woman Jewish for fuck-all reason; a movie with absolutely no redeeming value to cinema whatsoever...

And the people who call it a piece of shit and prefer the Marvel movies are brainwashed?

• Brohoof 1

Heck, I think it would benefit DC to bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as executive producers, like with Kevin Feige and Marvel.

Animation doesn't get nearly enough respect in North America to be ridiculously profitable, and the DTV films aren't well-known enough. Even if that wasn't an issue, DC hasn't been getting much commercial success with animated shows. Just look at the success of Teen Titans Go! and compare that to the beloved Young Justice, which online fans of the latter are too eager to point out.

Theatrical animated films can work, but they'll somehow need to emulate the success of studios like Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks, and WB has nothing to say in that respect.

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are great at what they do, but they probably won't be asked to do big-budget movies since they don't have much experience in that area.

TZN: People such as yourself and Bruce Timm in Warner Bros. Animation always do such a great job at adapting DC characters into a motion picture format where they are relevant, realistic in a way, and in compelling stories. I think guys like you are better storytellers than the people who are behind the live action versions. Why do the live action people never talk to you guys because, you’re some of the best and I’d say most experienced with these characters?

DWAYNE MCDUFFIE: We have the most experience with these characters, but the guys making those movies are betting a $100 million. So when you bet a $100 million, you bet on a guy who’s worked on a $100 million project before, right? So most of us haven’t worked on anything that large.

For those dissatisfied with the recent Batman v. Superman film, check out the animated "World's Finest" instead, or even the episode "Battle of the Superheroes!" from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Animation doesn't get nearly enough respect in North America to be ridiculously profitable, and the DTV films aren't well-known enough. Even if that wasn't an issue, DC hasn't been getting much commercial success with animated shows. Just look at the success of Teen Titans Go! and compare that to the beloved Young Justice, which online fans of the latter are too eager to point out.

Theatrical animated films can work, but they'll somehow need to emulate the success of studios like Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks, and WB has nothing to say in that respect.

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are great at what they do, but they probably won't be asked to do big-budget movies since they don't have much experience in that area.

For those dissatisfied with the recent Batman v. Superman film, check out the animated "World's Finest" instead, or even the episode "Battle of the Superheroes!" from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Well, they made the transition from TV to Video Game pretty smoothly.

(edited)

Teen Titans Go!, lol.

Laziest attempt to cash in on nostalgia ever. Young Justice actually tried to do new things, and was doing pretty well at it too.

If they want to actually do those competently they need to take some cues from their good works. Like the original Teen Titans and the Justice League, or even the classics like the original Batman/Superman. Not to say they should repeat them by any means. But I think the last successful "original" animated work they made that was piggybacking off of something else was Batman: Beyond.

Chibi characters were just not the way to go.

That rant aside. I don't know that they would ever be able to achieve the kind of profit that Marvel/Disney does nowadays--I mean, Marvel has Disney behind them, that's nigh impossible to compete with. They should have just shifted the battlefield elsewhere.

I have some hope for Suicide Squad, but that's about it right now.

Edited by Lagrangian
  • Brohoof 2