Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will MLP persist or will it be as dead as disco?

cybershocker455

Who said Disco was dead? It may be wounded and hidden from mainstream attention, but it is still there, still getting attention from those who actively search for it.

I reckon one of two things will happen:

• The show will persist as Hasbro likes the money, money that is made from having a large fanbase made up of people with disposable income.
  • The show will not persist, but like many other fandoms of 'dead' shows/films/comics/etc. the fandom will persist.

If neither of those happen I will eat one of my hats.

I think the FIM fandom will stick around for a while. Even if Hasbro decides not to make a new gen with most likely new writers and a new voice cast( which they most likely will.) this show has touched so many of our lives, that this fandom will live on

Through its fanfics/ art/ music/ conventions / meet ups etc. etc. etc. I think it's better that they end it now. Always better to stop a show and leave fans begging for more,

Then it is to run the same show till it becomes so bad people are begging for less.

*points at Doctor Who fandom, which had a hiatus from 1989-2005*

Fandoms do stay alive even if their shows end. As AlbaTross said, the fanvids are now an integral part of the pony fandom. I'd think we could run on fandom fuel for a pretty long time.

*points at Doctor Who fandom, which had a hiatus from 1989-2005*

Fandoms do stay alive even if their shows end. As AlbaTross said, the fanvids are now an integral part of the pony fandom. I'd think we could run on fandom fuel for a pretty long time.

Agree ^ the situation is the same with some video game franchises. For example, look at Crash Bandicoot...he hasn't seen a game in who-knows-how-long yet he still has a fanbase.

Also, if you combine the aforementioned fanvids with the fanfics and fan art out there, there's enough to keep people interested for a long time.

Considering, 3 Generations got already cancelled and despite that, Mlp is still around and successful, it will probably never really stop.

Might get rebooted sometime, but i dont think that My Little Pony will ever completely vanish.

(edited)

While it may not have as much impact on Pop Culture as Star Wars or Doctor Who, we do have an extremely creative and active fanbase- new art, videos and music are being pumped out by the hundreds, there are tons of notable brony commentators- heck, we have conventions dedicated solely to pony when even shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe don't (least not that I know of). Not to mention the brony charities. How many other works out there can say the same?

While it is possible that ponies will die out soon after the show ends, it just seems unlikely, given how vast the pony universe is and how much creative stuff the fandom makes.

Also, like others pointed out, I think Hasbro's gonna try to take the franchise to G5, or G4.5 or whatever. It's way too successful to just put an end to it.

Edited by PGNatsu

I'm inclined to say it will, but honestly, the people who make up the fanbase change on an individual level and the franchise will (FiM won't last forever i'm afraid), so i don't know. It may be reduced to being less significant, but i don't think the fandom will die out as fast.

While it's not as big as Doctor Who, Star Trek, and some other big franchises, MLP is still large enough to be remembered. We still have fans of G1 30 years later, for one thing. If this franchise can last 30 years, it won't easily be forgotten.