Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Buck Testa

img-3148717-1-spike_crying_by_hourglassp

Lets not beat around the bush. Spike is sad and lonely. Poor kid is in a world full of ponies as the only dragon living among them. Normal dragons are just plain jerks too so he is just kinda stuck trying to get ponies attention and live like he is one.

Thats why he needs a dragon friend. Someone who could be a buddy like the cmc has. it could be a girl or a boy, I don't care. Im not even saying like a love interest, he just needs a friend he can really relate to. Someone like him but different enough to have that banter and conflict. And not a one dimensional jerk or just a pawn for relationship stuff like flash, like an actual character.

Am I wrong? Does he just need to shush and play along with ponies and never get to explore that dragon side of him? Would you like to see this?

Back in 2014 I made a thread called "Spike needs a dragon friend." At the time he was getting really abused by the writing and it was kind of hard to watch really. He's been fodder for slapstick and been the butt of jokes all the way back to season one episode one. However he has been finally been getting some traction in recent seasons and seems to be making a really strong showing in season Six with his solid performance in the season premier and now he's starred in probably the best Spike episode to date.

Plus, just like I asked back in 2014, he finally gained a friend (and a potential love interest) in Ember, the dragon Princess turned dragon lord. 

dragon%20lord%20spike_zpsbwycuzkp.png

dragon%20lord%20spike%202_zps43tavl5o.pn

So what does this bode for Spike and the dragons in the future? Ember has the scepter and is his friend, so you know that he has the dragons on his side at least from that angle. Is she going to make him glow and call him over for things in the future like the other Dragon Lord did? Does this basically mean he could be called for his own Episodes with Ember just like the cutie map can call any of the mane six? It would be interesting to see if they work that angle more. 

On a side note: My 2014 self is having quite the track record this season  :wub:

• Brohoof 6

Ember and her father could possibly in the future build relations with Equestria and spread peace in some way, but I think the Dragon Lands are in good claws.

• Brohoof 2

Today's episode is the kind of episode I've been anticipating for a while: Spike was given something interesting to do, he didn't have to share the lead, and he behaved with more maturity and grace than I've seen exhibit in a long time. I'm looking forward to Ember returning in the finale, since it looks to me like something will threaten Equestria that warrants the help of dragons, Ember, Spike, etc.

I mean, with this good connection (and that seemingly-foreshadowing ending conversation between Twilight, Spike, and Rarity, it seems like a strong possibility that the dragons will be necessary to some future boss villain arc, or some badass friendship extravaganza. You could call me excited but that might be an understatement. :P

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Also am I the only one who really wanted Spike to go Godzilla on Garble?

adult_spike_by_beyondtheforbidden-d4ip5w

"You're making me Greedy Garble! You wouldn't like me when I'm Greedy!" 

bf4c4c884e7fe9a6920cffbdc9b5d848-d9qn8tg

"I think I just wet myself...." 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 5

Also am I the only one who really wanted Spike to go Godzilla on Garble?

adult_spike_by_beyondtheforbidden-d4ip5w

"You're making me Greedy Garble! You wouldn't like me when I'm Greedy!" 

bf4c4c884e7fe9a6920cffbdc9b5d848-d9qn8tg

"I think I just wet myself...." 

Didn't Zecora say that all Dragons can do that?

It would be a stalemate instead of a stomp.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

If all dragons can do that, then WHY aren't all dragons doing that? Garble has literally no reason why he isn't making a hoard to get bigger if that were really the case. 

All of the winged dragons seem to grow chronologically, while Spike seems to be different and more magic oriented, thus he grows via giving into greed. Perhaps Zecora meant all of SPIKES type of dragon can do that? 

• Brohoof 2

If all dragons can do that, then WHY aren't all dragons doing that? Garble has literally no reason why he isn't making a hoard to get bigger if that were really the case. 

All of the winged dragons seem to grow chronologically, while Spike seems to be different and more magic oriented, thus he grows via giving into greed. Perhaps Zecora meant all of SPIKES type of dragon can do that?

I think the ability to grow huge is an ability shared by most if not all dragons BUT it is an ability that is highly situational. In "Secret of My Excess", of course, Spike grows from greed, and I'm assuming its something a dragon grows out of, learns how to control, or doesn't encounter often when surrounded Ina community of dragons where the greed is allocated a lot more evenly. You know? Like, the dragon in "Dragonshy" doesn't have anyone he's trying to compete with, so he stays fat and happy, but the dragons elsewhere who live in groups can't always access the ability to grow huge based on an influx of greed. The energy is too evenly-distributed.

So, it's likely something that CAN happen to ALL dragons, but just because it CAN happen doesn't mean it WILL happen ALL the time.

• Brohoof 1

I think the ability to grow huge is an ability shared by most if not all dragons BUT it is an ability that is highly situational. In "Secret of My Excess", of course, Spike grows from greed, and I'm assuming its something a dragon grows out of, learns how to control, or doesn't encounter often when surrounded Ina community of dragons where the greed is allocated a lot more evenly. You know? Like, the dragon in "Dragonshy" doesn't have anyone he's trying to compete with, so he stays fat and happy, but the dragons elsewhere who live in groups can't always access the ability to grow huge based on an influx of greed. The energy is too evenly-distributed.

So, it's likely something that CAN happen to ALL dragons, but just because it CAN happen doesn't mean it WILL happen ALL the time.

I like the way you think, when they are together like that they can't really get into greed as much as they could on their own. 

Plus it would explain why the head honcho is so damn huge, he's probably got the others to gather his hoard for him at some point. 

• Brohoof 2

I got two quesggestions:

Where is Ember’s mother?

Who are all those other young dragons not named Ember related to?

Alright, alright, two more:

It looks like dragons really dislike ponies. Then why did old Torch refer to them as Dragons of Equestria? I’m pretty sure that Celestia would know if some big dragon dude named Torch was a lord in her princessdom.

Being pretty weak along with lording over a pathetic excuse for a dragon flight, does all this mean Ember is at risk of getting bewilderbeasted by an actual alpha from another flight?

• Brohoof 1

I loved what Twilight said at the end of the episode. "You saved Equestria and gained us a powerful ally." Said in her usual chipper tone . . . but doesn't that sound like something out of Game of Thrones?

Maybe that will come into play further down the line?

• Brohoof 2

I like the way you think, when they are together like that they can't really get into greed as much as they could on their own. 

Plus it would explain why the head honcho is so damn huge, he's probably got the others to gather his hoard for him at some point.

Bingo, pony friend. I like the way I think too.

• Brohoof 1

One thing that I like about Ember being introduced is that there's a few REASONABLE dragons now for spike to interact with to teach him how to "be a dragon". Not really giving up on his pony roots but that they can have episodes dealing with stuff like spike not having wings compared to other dragons and talking to ember or the others about it or something.

• Brohoof 1

There's enormous potential going forward with Ember.  I'm thrilled that Spike has a dragon friend, and I hope we see more of her, and not just as an ally when Equestria is threatened.  I hope that she and Spike hang out and some point, and she teaches him about dragons and helps him with his identity, and maybe even helps him learn something about his origin.  Hmm....wouldn't it be something if it turned out that they were related somehow?

• Brohoof 2

There's enormous potential going forward with Ember.  I'm thrilled that Spike has a dragon friend, and I hope we see more of her, and not just as an ally when Equestria is threatened.  I hope that she and Spike hang out and some point, and she teaches him about dragons and helps him with his identity, and maybe even helps him learn something about his origin.  Hmm....wouldn't it be something if it turned out that they were related somehow?

This brings up the million dollar question once again. 

Where did Celestia get his dragon egg and why was she using it in a test? We now know more than ever that Dragons have their own governing body and everything, and I'm sure it has its own customs when it involves things like Dragon Eggs. So wouldn't Celestia having his egg like that be tantamount to kidnapping? Not to mention when he was hatched she clearly put at least one spell on him that connected his flame to her location AND she gave him to Twilight whom basically has used him as a servant this whole time. A servant she really cares for sure, but a servant none the less. 

• Brohoof 2

Where did Celestia get his dragon egg and why was she using it in a test? We now know more than ever that Dragons have their own governing body and everything, and I'm sure it has its own customs when it involves things like Dragon Eggs. So wouldn't Celestia having his egg like that be tantamount to kidnapping? Not to mention when he was hatched she clearly put at least one spell on him that connected his flame to her location AND she gave him to Twilight whom basically has used him as a servant this whole time. A servant she really cares for sure, but a servant none the less. 

The "governing" body of dragons mainly seems to just be that there's a supreme leader that everyone obeys, but past that I don't think there's really much formal government. More like a system of anarchy with a single individual who can, in times of emergency or for important matters, rally them to do something.

So pretty much so long as it doesn't interest the dragon lord, you can do whatever you want (and have whatever you want done to you in turn)

• Brohoof 2

Spike seems different than other dragons.  Even when he grows (Secret of My Excess, The Cutie Mark Chronicles) he STILL doesn't have wings & can't fly.

It is good he has other dragons to talk to & maybe learn of his heritage but I'm not sure they've got time to develop that subplot.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or the town pessimist here, but I have a good feeling that they're probably going to throw these characters away, and if they do return, they'll probably be mentioned or featured in minor cameos.

The main reason is that episode scripts are finalized a year before production, so they have no idea which characters the audience will or will not like. Even if the writers like the new characters, the way they work independently on scripts raises the likelihood that writers of later episodes were probably not even aware of Ember's existence while writing them.

Still, that hasn't stopped it from happening before. More Spike episodes focusing on his independent friendships and role in Equestria would be good. If all we got from Ember was a cameo or a mention, it would be good enough for me.

I finally found out that season 6 started.

I'm trying to remember what my original thoughts were about Spike over these past seasons. What I vaguely recall the past uh 3-5? seasons was I felt that Spike had hit the downward spiral and like everyone else, felt that none of the writers knew what to do with him in general. What was his last episode in S5 again? Goes to check...... cringes again and remembers why I buried that episode

Haven't really been up to speed on much, so just going in I was actually really interested in seeing this episode for Spike, for its potential for finally bringing him out of his depressing slump. And honestly, it felt like it actually soared to me.

I'll get to more the point about the OP and would be glad to see more future Spike episodes where his new found friendship with Ember goes from here. I feel this could blossom into something quite exciting and beautiful for Spike's development.  They're finally giving Spike some space to breath more into his character and personality and it seems like they're coming back to questions that they weren't originally going to answer or had ended completely/shut out with 'Dragon Quest'.

I got two quesggestions:

Where is Ember’s mother?

Who are all those other young dragons not named Ember related to?

Alright, alright, two more:

It looks like dragons really dislike ponies. Then why did old Torch refer to them as Dragons of Equestria? I’m pretty sure that Celestia would know if some big dragon dude named Torch was a lord in her princessdom.

Being pretty weak along with lording over a pathetic excuse for a dragon flight, does all this mean Ember is at risk of getting bewilderbeasted by an actual alpha from another flight?

That was the first question I instantly asked as well when Ember showed up (who and where was the mother?)

I'm out in the wild here as I can't really get a sense of how dragon society operates.  It's been rather loose and uncertain on a lot of things as I always seemed to get an impression that "dragon society" seems rather 'loose'.  Lord Torch was rather out of the blue for me, but interesting new info to take in now and to see further fleshed out.

I agree, I think that's always been the question about where exactly did Spike come from and why was he used as a test subject for an entrance exam?

I vaguely recall making snarky jokes about this.

There's always been a lot of questions with Spike that they could explore and they're touching upon it here and there (recently).

Like I'm always thinking, about, why does Spike not have wings? I keep chalking this up to maybe age (I don't recall exactly how it was explained, if it was, about how fast dragons age).  But even in Secret of his Excess, I still expected wings. Which begs the question, is Spike a wingless dragon? Perhaps there is a breed of wingless dragons that we don't really know about.

The governing body structure of dragon society feels very loose, not necessarily tightly structured. Because they still haven't presented us with any new information about Spike's origins, it still comes off as Celestia having committed some form of kidnapping (or "he rolled into her life by accident").  Like sure, she might have kidnapped him, but I feel as though no one in dragon society cared about that (or at least, if we get an origin story, the only species that would've cared would've been Spike's biological family and/or original dragon pack) Like, I feel as though, no one actually cared when Spike declared, "Of course, your Lordship! I, uh, guess I don't understand dragon customs. Another reason why I shouldn't compete.". No one cared and it seem Spike could get off the hook easily for that (he didn't get ostracized at all for that). In short, I feel as though dragons are like semi-independent "wild" Nomads, that keep to their particular dragon families or dragon pack and have a loose leadership with loose laws.  Really, I haven't gotten a sense of it, and that's what I vaguely seem to be interpreting with the details presented.

Edited by pony.colin

I love this episode and what it did for the dragons but it did leave me with one question is this part of a grandplan for this season's finalle. To gather allies around equestria for a grand old battle for the fate ofequestria against the changelings?

I like all of these suggestions. One of the best Spike episodes, and YES someone please animate an epic dragon battle between teenage Spike and Garble! See the classic "Mega Man vs Heatman" for idea fuel. Use better graphics and smoother animation, though.