1. 1. Did you like the episode?

• It was terribad! >: (
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it.
    • IT WAS GREAT AND POWERFUL!!! <3

Ugh. Siiiiiiiigh

Super cringey episode. Why?

Twilight's little forced smile to Trix was cute, but then it all went downhill fast. Her not giving Trix a chance, trying to force other friends on SG, not giving her space to grow on her own makes Twi feel like anything but the "Princess of Friendship"

Just take the title away from her if she's going to be like....this. and sad part is, it's not even the first time

This ep. Just make me cringe and hate Twilight even more.

Not to mention, much as I love Dj and Derpy, god, they felt like forced pandering.

My reacion to this episode was pretty much the same as Sunbutt's. Not amused.

• Brohoof 2

Alright, here are my thoughts on No Second Prances. This is going to probably surprise everyone, but I liked it. I think this was the first episode where I felt any sort of sympathy for Glimmer. It actually felt like she was getting out and trying to make things right instead of moping about and feeling sorry for herself. She seemed a whole lot more confident, which I think went a long way towards making her work for me. Her interaction with Trixie was genuinely enjoyable and I hope Trixie becomes a recurring character in future Starlight Glimmer episodes. The two seem to work well together.

That being said, I had a couple of problems with this episode. Twilight was really unlikable in this episode. There were a number of points where she was just way too controlling and way too hypocritical for my tastes. She seemed to trust Glimmer, but not Trixie. Granted, she has good reason not to trust either of them (in fact, I'd argue the Mane Six should be a little more suspicious of Glimmer), but it seemed like Twilight didn't have any hangups about trusting Starlight until Trixie got involved. She also told Glimmer to go out and make friends but got pissed when she became friends with somepony she didn’t like. It felt like the writers were trying really hard to make us take Glimmer and Trixie’s side simply by making Twilight so unbearable that we’d have no choice but to take the opposing side.

Another problem for me was the fact the writers were making such a big deal about Starlight’s progress…in her first episode. This is Starlight’s first episode that isn’t a season premiere or season finale and only her second (if you count the Season 6 premiere as a single episode) where she isn’t evil. I can’t help but feel as though this episode should’ve been later in the season, especially considering the synopsis for the Hearth’s Warming Eve episode has her back to her old, mopey self. There’s also the fact (in the first half of the episode, at least) that the writers kept making light of her bad behavior. I dunno, I just find it really hard to forgive her when the writers keep reminding us of what she did.

Overall, an okay episode. Could've been better, but also could've been a lot worse. 7/10

VG_Addict, on 30 Apr 2016 - 6:12 PM, said:

I felt that Starlight was pulling spells out of her ass. 

She was able to make a great cake in just a few seconds, and she was able to use magic to make Big Mac more talkative. 

Yeah, it seemed like Starlight was venturing dangerously close to Mary Sue territory.

For one thing, I think it is way too early in the season for an episode where Twilight is portrayed as in the wrong for not trusting Starlight, who, less than ten episodes ago, attempted to kill her. Perhaps after a long season in which she learns several friendship lessons, this it would have fit a lot better. But for her second episode in the show, it simply doesn't work. 

What just makes this all the more insulting to me is how we're apparently supposed to ignore Starlight's impulsiveness earlier in the episode. Perhaps I could have looked past her using magic to set the table directly after Twilight told her not to, but casting a spell on Big Mac to force him to talk?!?!! This clearly shows how abusive and controlling she still is, and it vindicates Twilight's concerns BEFORE THE EPISODE EVEN INTRODUCES THEM!!!!!

SHE DIDN'T EVEN THINK SHE DID ANYTHING WRONG!!!!! She promptly justified this action by stating that she couldn't make friends with Big Mac if he didn't talk. I'm sorry, but if she's not at the point where she doesn't know that exerting power over others is wrong, then she truly cannot be trusted. And yet, the episode still goes out of its way to portray Twilight in the wrong for not trusting her!??!!?!?!?!??! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, this episode would've felt more natural if it'd happened later in the season. Starlight making jokes about enslaving and brainwashing ponies was cringe-inducing and that scene with Big Mac was a monumentally stupid move on the writers part, especially when Glimmer is on thin-ice with a good chunk of the fandom.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

I thought of that too. Trixie attempts the stunt anyways knowing that she'll might not be saved by her heartbroken friend.

Yeah. Dr. Wolf made it pretty clear in his review that as Trixie did the stunt anyhow, unsure if Starlight would still save her after breaking her heart, the look on Trixie's face as she plunged toward the Manticore's open mouth said it all: "I REGRET NOTHING!"

Thankfully, thanks to Twilight, Trixie was given a second chance at life as Starlight came to her aid and finished the trick.

I love the "You are going to be banned to the moon" face Celestia made!

post-25840-0-87666000-1462056579_thumb.png

And then the "I just realised I am going to be banned to the moon" face of Twilight...

post-25840-0-58636800-1462056749_thumb.png

Edited by Missklang
  • Brohoof 7

All Celestia did was sigh in this episode xD

Ah, who can blame her? She was hoping to see how Starlight Glimmer was doing under Twilight's tutelage, and instead, she finds herself in an awkward dinner get-together with three Ponyville residents with no sign of Starlight since she was helping out Trixie.

• Brohoof 3

I think I realized what felt off about this episode: it felt like an early draft for an episode that somehow made it into production. There were issues with the story and the characters that should've been fixed before the episode was produced.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

Ugh. Siiiiiiiigh

Super cringey episode. Why?

Twilight's little forced smile to Trix was cute, but then it all went downhill fast. Her not giving Trix a chance, trying to force other friends on SG, not giving her space to grow on her own makes Twi feel like anything but the "Princess of Friendship"

Just take the title away from her if she's going to be like....this. and sad part is, it's not even the first time

This ep. Just make me cringe and hate Twilight even more.

Not to mention, much as I love Dj and Derpy, god, they felt like forced pandering.

My reacion to this episode was pretty much the same as Sunbutt's. Not amused.

You expect Twilight to be perfect. That would be a horrible mistake, because a perfect character, dosen't have conflict.

Twilight did see the error of her flaws and she apologized, which makes her realistic.

But i will say that the BG's felt forced.

• Brohoof 1

It was my favorite episode so far! I loved the return of Trixie and how her and Starlight got along so well! And for some reason I thought she was going to try and take Twilights Princess-ness and Hasbro was going to be like 'well! Let's just throw away Trixies reformation and make her evil again!' And when I saw Trixie in the preview I was like 'OMG Trixie returning! Quick get the popcorn!' I'd give it a 8/10. Why? Because they called Vinyl Scrach DJPon3 >:( but it was good! And I loved the ending Cranky: 'so, how do you get your hair to do that?' ;D

I think it was because the dinner turned out to be awkward and boring.

Yeah, she was hoping to see how Starlight was doing, and instead, due to Starlight being busy helping Trixie, Twilight had to find an alternate means to try and salvage the dinner, with not much luck from the looks of how bored Celestia was waiting to see if Starlight would come back as that's who she wanted to talk to.

True, but she seemed to have a "I'm not in the mood for this sh-" attitude from the moment she arrived and didn't see Starlight.

My thoughts exactly in regards to Celestia wanting to see how Starlight was doing and not seeing her there when she first arrived, making the dinner very awkward to Twilight, and boring for Celestia since this was not what she was expecting at all.

For a episode of seeing Trixie return after not being included in a prominent role after 3 seasons, it was a good feeling when I saw her appear of the screen and not only interact with Twilight again but, have her interacting with Starlight. Trixie actually having a genuine friend who she can relate to and not judge her solely on her past, was refreshing and I was happy to see Trixie happy.

The puns, gags, and facial expressions were on the money with the comedy. 9/10.

medium.gif

• Brohoof 2

You expect Twilight to be perfect. That would be a horrible mistake, because a perfect character, dosen't have conflict.

Twilight did see the error of her flaws and she apologized, which makes her realistic.

But i will say that the BG's felt forced.

I'm sorry. I didn't think that expecting a pony who leaned all these frirndship lessons abojt being a good friend, ganing ge princess of friendship title, seeing how her own mentor allowed her room to grow without being a stalker who forced certain friends on her, or having sense enough to treat pnies hlw she would like to be treated, was expecting perfection from her. =_= because, yanno. It's not like it's basic observation, experience, or common sense.

Oh wait, it is!

Yeah. Dr. Wolf made it pretty clear in his review that as Trixie did the stunt anyhow, unsure if Starlight would still save her after breaking her heart, the look on Trixie's face as she plunged toward the Manticore's open mouth said it all: "I REGRET NOTHING!"

Thankfully, thanks to Twilight, Trixie was given a second chance at life as Starlight came to her aid and finished the trick.

way to go, PoF. You nearly drove Tiie to commit suicide. All hail the PoF!

=_=

UGH

BUCKING Twilight

I'm sorry. I didn't think that expecting a pony who leaned all these frirndship lessons abojt being a good friend, ganing ge princess of friendship title, seeing how her own mentor allowed her room to grow without being a stalker who forced certain friends on her, or having sense enough to treat pnies hlw she would like to be treated, was expecting perfection from her. =_= because, yanno. It's not like it's basic observation, experience, or common sense.

Oh wait, it is!

=_=

UGH

BUCKING Twilight

And you miss my point. She is sorry. What you want from her is perfection. And a perfect character, would be the death of the show because a perfect character has no conflict.

Also, if somebody like Trixie did something like that to you  in the past, wouldn't you be a bit doubtful? I admit, Twi was a bit over the top. But i would also be suspicious.

• Brohoof 2

Oh wait, it is!

=_=

UGH

BUCKING Twilight

Can you blame her? She did have her own personal problems with Trixie in the past from the events in Boast Busters and Magic Duel that was clouding her judgement with Starlight befriending her after all.

Can you blame her? She did have her own personal problems with Trixie in the past from the events in Boast Busters and Magic Duel that was clouding her judgement with Starlight befriending her after all.

I think the problem was that she seemed to have no problem with trusting Glimmer (the pony who stole her Cutie Mark, kidnapped her, attempted to brainwash her and nearly destroyed the world after Twilight and her friends foiled her evil plans) and yet she couldn't bring herself to trust Trixie. Even Starlight seemed surprised by this.

• Brohoof 3

I think the problem was that she seemed to have no problem with trusting Glimmer (the pony who stole her Cutie Mark, kidnapped her, attempted to brainwash her and nearly destroyed the world after Twilight and her friends foiled her evil plans) and yet she couldn't bring herself to trust Trixie. Even Starlight seemed surprised by this.

Only because that Twilight knew Trixie was still jealous of her being able to one-up her in their last couple of encounters, and she was still wary of Trixie and did not want Starlight to be friends with her. I think Twilight was being overprotective again.

Yeah, and remember how Discord has been ever since he stopped being evil and all the bad things he has done? So what the hoof is your point? She is going to be the same Domineering evil pony she always has been for quite some time now. What do you expect? It is a learning process that is going to take a while. Get over yourself sunshine. 

Twilight was completely in character, I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you are missing out on a lot of twilight episodes? There is dozens of times when she has shown her extreme sides of her personality. Remember when she was a student and couldn't find a friendship lesson and tried to make one? Remember the time travel episode? Remember any episode where she acted out in an extreme manner? That is what is called a "character flaw". Twilight has had this extreme personality since the very first season. 

I am extremely surprised you had never noticed it before. 

Mrs. cake is extremely proud of her baking and then comes along a pony who in mere SECONDS bakes a cake that would take her days or even maybe WEEKS to make and it looked a million times better than the ones she was making and that is her entire life, her cutie mark and lively hood. Wouldn't you be a little defensive about it?

Celestia had every right to act that way. Stop putting Celestia up as a Icon of perfection. She was stood up, was sitting in one spot for HOURS with nothing to do and nothing to drink or eat waiting. you would be irritated as well. 

...damn dude, you mad? I understand you disagree with me, but you don't have to be so aggressive about it.

the episode was good. I thought the scene at the end was very deep. Trixie was prepared for suicide and, although kind of wished starlight did the spell, she accepted her death. I think this episode, aside from all funny brony references, sends out a real message to bronies contemplating suicide, your friends will always be here for you no matter how many arguments you may have had. long story short, season 6 has been bad until here but I would have liked a longer hiatus if it meant all episodes were like this. it was funny, serious, shout out-y. I think they need to tone down the references a tad. I think it was a tiny tiny tiny bit too much

A very deep episode! And yay! Trixie's back! The one thing that really shone in this episode was character development. Starlight still had a bit of her bad side lingering and I think that's what caused her to veer off track. Trixie was the same, that is, until Starlight caught her giving herself away. 

Quite a few adorable scenes here, and some cringy parts too. 

All in all, great episode!

Clearly you never experienced great depression. When you are down on yourself that first step as you call it is the hardest thing in the world to do. In fact I would say it is damn near impossible to do on your own. You need someone else to show you that you can have a friend or at least someone cares about you. Rather it be a stranger or not, in my experience it does not really matter.

However I do agree that Celestia was weirdly out of character.

Overall I liked this ep. the story was nice the background gags were fun. and sad twixxy was cute. I say 8/10 

You’re talking about great depression? Clearly you’ve not experienced a great show for youths and family. There are proper places to talk about these things and MLP: FIM ain’t one of them. Sure you can hint it and deal with similar lightweight problems, but if you have three major and four lesser symptoms by ICD-10, then you need help of a medical variety and no show with pastel equines is gonna help your mental state. Starlight and Trixie can be sad and depressed all they want, they were still badly executed and worked only because Twilight was too plot device-y to stand up and drag them both into an open discussion, which she always does when it comes to every other character but Celestia herself who she reveres. And then there was Trixie who went from a friend-stealing jerk to a woobie who just wanted a friend in the matter of seconds. It happened so fast one could not ascribe it to some realization but a switch in her head that turned her from Bad Trixie to Good Trixie who was just misjudged by the Big Bad Twilight. They could have made the whole scene with her realizing her mistake and all that, but nope, a few seconds is good enough! Better have more time for Celestia’s jerky twin sister!

So, to sum it all up: stop hiding bad characters and stories from a family friendly show behind a shield of sadness and gloom. This show is not a brochure your get in a waiting room at your local medical center. It’s here to make people mildly amused and to force us all to buy toys. That’s that.

(edited)

Very good episode, the character interactions were great! And Cranky asking something I myself have wondered for years :lol:

I felt sorry for Celestia, just forced to awkwardly hang with those ponies she barely knew.

Edited by TheSqueelyOne