So a lot of info about the MLP movie has just been released

Slashy

(edited)

http://www.horse-news.net/2016/05/my-little-pony-movie-concepts-shown-in.html

And it looks very exciting.

1. Loads of transformations

2. Journeying across and beyond Equestria

3. Seaponies, pirates, aliens!

4. Having to possibly team up with baddies to take on a bigger threat.

I really hope this is some kind of extraterrestrial menace.

As if we NEEDED confirmation that Spike would be in this movie? And i'm skeptical of the legitimacy of the rest. I mean, ALIENS? Seriously?

See, this is what happens when people don't have context. :okiedokieloki:

Allow me to explain: the whole "alien" thing stems from the mention that the Mane Six would visit a "scary alien world". And that was only a rough translation: by "alien", they did not mean "extraterrestrial". It is simply another word for "foreign" or "unfamiliar". You know, much the same way the Everfree Forest and its laws of nature were "alien" to the ponies. And where do you think the term "illegal alien" comes from?

Anyway, I found a video of the very panel this information was announced in, and it has a far clearer translation. The full excerpt should put your minds at ease:

"Our ponies will have to venture beyond Equestria into a giant, scary, cruel, foreign world. And they will feel very minuscule in comparison to this huge world."

Here is the whole video. Maybe this will raise far more interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0eEZG4J49Q

Aliens actually comes from the latin of someone foreign, but it's nowadays associated with extraterrestrials. It's technically accurate, as they are foreign from our world, but it's a mistake how it's perceived nowadays. They probably meant that they'll travel to a new and foreign place, alien to our main characters 

Well, it seems that they've changed alicorns for merponies... which is not that bad, but I'd preferred alicorns from the leaks. Character changes followed by groans from the fans.... that's not a good sign, but the other info doesn't sound too bad 

If you mean the group shot of the Mane Six as alicorns, that was fanart that predates the movie's announcement by at least two years.

Edited by immblueversion

If you mean the group shot of the Mane Six as alicorns, that was fanart that predates the movie's announcement by at least two years.

Hmmm, that comment could bean two things:

-The alicorn comment: I didn't meant them, I meant the whole movie plot in general. The movie was focusing in expanding the alicorn lore according to the leaks in 2014, even with a villain related to the Celly and Luna

-The change of the characters: I don't mind if that MEANT they'll be transformed, but I wouldn't like if that meant a change in portrayal and personality

Hmmm, that comment could bean two things:

-The alicorn comment: I didn't meant them, I meant the whole movie plot in general. The movie was focusing in expanding the alicorn lore according to the leaks in 2014, even with a villain related to the Celly and Luna

-The change of the characters: I don't mind if that MEANT they'll be transformed, but I wouldn't like if that meant a change in portrayal and personality

Yes, I'm familiar with those Sony emails. But that was supposedly part of an earlier draft at least two years old now, and even then, none of it has been verified. This should all be taken with a grain of salt until we get word from Hasbro and/or the filmmakers themselves.

Yes, I'm familiar with those Sony emails. But that was supposedly part of an earlier draft at least two years old now, and even then, none of it has been verified. This should all be taken with a grain of salt until we get word from Hasbro and/or the filmmakers themselves.

Yeah it's really not uncommon for movies to be almost completely different from the first draft to the last.

On the bright side, the concept art for them looks nice.

Yeah, they seem to have Ditched G1 Seapony designs and said "SCREW IT. Seaponies are Hippocampi now!" which I LOVE. I really hate the "Normal" aborted fetus looking seapony designs, but I love hippocampi, like what the sirens were.

And where do you think the term "illegal alien" comes from?

Wait, wait, wait. You mean they AREN'T actually extraterrestrials that we keep deporting each year?!

Crap... I need to go rethink my political views...

(edited)

As long as it doesn’t have vengeful bambies, but enough about me, let’s talk about what our great eastern comrades have snatched for us from the talons of capitalist toymakers, and on a proletarian holiday no less.

Hippocampus sea ponies, pirates, hippogriffs, villains, oh my. Throw in a Disney style underwater metropolis and a promise to venture outside Equestria, and you’ve got this little goat interested. Not to mention the pictures: no Starlight, Sunset or any other bullshit character over here. No potential best waifu or woobie of the year over there either. Could this be the show’s anathema that I was waiting for? I want to believe.

P.S: Griffons x ponies productive cuddling confirmed?

If this is for real, I might be more interested then I thought. Though I'm still not confident that Hasbro won't botch it.

I want to see vengeful Bambis! And what on earth is a woobie?

Edited by Leave a Whisper

From what i've seen and i don't try to be a party pooper here, is that they want to implement as much ideas into a 90-120 minute movie as possible and i fear that this could turn out really bad. Transformations, pirates, aliens, seaponies etc. really kinda sounds that they want to implement as much toys as possible.

But at the same time, we lack any sort of story to actually know what will happen.

Again, don't want to be a party pooper. But remember, you should be cautious, or else your whole hype will end in dissapointment.

If this is for real, I might be more interested then I thought. Though I'm still not confident that Hasbro won't botch it.

I want to see vengeful Bambis! And what on earth is a woobie?

Vengeful bambies are my cross to carry. I don’t think we’ll see them in MLP any time soon but I’m open to the idea :P

Woobie is a character who is very, very sad and you must feel sorry for them because their life is just one big injustice after another. It is curious that fans themselves usually shape a woobie by seeking out an outside source for the character’s own mistakes. Example: Celestia is responsible for Luna’s suffering! Luna dindu nuffin!

(edited)

From what i've seen and i don't try to be a party pooper here, is that they want to implement as much ideas into a 90-120 minute movie as possible and i fear that this could turn out really bad. Transformations, pirates, aliens, seaponies etc. really kinda sounds that they want to implement as much toys as possible.

But at the same time, we lack any sort of story to actually know what will happen.

Again, don't want to be a party pooper. But remember, you should be cautious, or else your whole hype will end in dissapointment.

Let's put things in perspective, then:

The Mane Six and a bunch of ponies come together for a huge party. Villains crash said party and capture many innocent ponies. The Mane Six have to venture outside of Equestria and into a new, foreign (i.e., "alien") land to stop the villains. At one point in the movie, they need advice from ponies who've faced the villains before (the "teaming up with baddies" thing was a huge misreading). Those ponies happen to live in the ocean, so they must transform all Atlantica-in-Kingdom-Hearts-like to survive. This is the only time they transform. Pirates.

Edited by immblueversion
  • Brohoof 1

I figure "alien" was probably a mistranslation, or one of those things that translates weirdly, or just a figure of speech. Extraterrestrials would be too much to throw in alongside a sea adventure, unless they make the film close to three hours long or something, which they most likely won't.

More races, transformations, and the possibility of having to team up with enemies to takedown a huge threat? Color me intrigued and pleased as punch.

I figure "alien" was probably a mistranslation, or one of those things that translates weirdly, or just a figure of speech. Extraterrestrials would be too much to throw in alongside a sea adventure, unless they make the film close to three hours long or something, which they most likely won't.

it honestly doesn't seem confusing to me; I don't understand why everyone is misinterpreting this. Alien just means strange or foreign, and its a commonly used term for something unknown. Saying that someone is visiting a strange, alien world just means its utterly unlike anything they've seen before.

Still, it's pretty surprising that they apparently scrapped the alicorn lore in favor of merponies :huh:. Oh well, I guess an underwater world with a classic species would be interesting (outside of a children book and comics :twi: )  

Still, it's pretty surprising that they apparently scrapped the alicorn lore in favor of merponies :huh:.

yeah, agreed. Like, I'm cool with them introducing sea ponies finally, but comparing "Introducing the lore of a race of what are essentially gods and have a huge amount of impact on the plot and mystery about them" to "Introducing a brand new mortal race that we've already seen in secondary materials" just seems kind of off, yeah? XD

Its like expecting a filet mignon and settling for a cheeseburger.

• Brohoof 1

Slashy, on 01 May 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

http://www.horse-news.net/2016/05/my-little-pony-movie-concepts-shown-in.html

And it looks very exciting.

1. Loads of transformations

2. Journeying across and beyond Equestria

3. Seaponies, pirates, aliens!

4. Having to possibly team up with baddies to take on a bigger threat.

I really hope this is some kind of extraterrestrial menace.

Transformations? Hasbro gets to sell some toys I take it lol.

Also shoo be doo, shoo shoo be do.

(edited)

Still, it's pretty surprising that they apparently scrapped the alicorn lore in favor of merponies :huh:. Oh well, I guess an underwater world with a classic species would be interesting (outside of a children book and comics :twi: )  

According to the Sony leaks, the "alicorn lore" draft was rejected because it read like something geared more towards initiated viewers than a general audience. Not that it'd be impossible to craft an easily accessible story with such rich lore, but getting as big an audience as possible is all part of the film business.

More races, transformations, and the possibility of having to team up with enemies to takedown a huge threat? Color me intrigued and pleased as punch.

Unfortunately, the "villain team up" thing was a pretty bad misreading of what was actually written. The Mane Six aren't teaming up with villains; they're teaming up with, or at the very least getting advice from, ponies who are familiar with the movie's villains. In this case, those ponies are the seaponies, and the Mane Six become seaponies themselves to better survive and navigate their underwater kingdom.

Edited by immblueversion
  • Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, the "villain team up" thing was a pretty bad misreading of what was actually written. The Mane Six aren't teaming up with villains; they're teaming up with, or at the very least getting advice from, ponies who are familiar with the movie's villains. In this case, those ponies are the seaponies, and the Mane Six become seaponies themselves to better survive and navigate their underwater kingdom.

I'm still satisfied anyway, shoo be doo. :P

I don't see the issue really; They got rid of those fin hands and gave them pony hoof hands to make them hippocampi; I approve.

I never said there was an issue. I like them quite a bit myself. And as for the background (a better look here), I really hope the visuals will look like something straight out of a painting or a storybook. That would be incredible.

I'm happy that it ended up being like I thought it would, a journey through Equestria... But I'm so disappointed about the seaponies...... ughh why...

shoobeedoo I guess >_>

This is the only MLP stuff I can accept spoilers for. I'm working on another fanmade trailer after my sloppy original one done in "Top Gear" style got over 35,000 views in less than a year. It will feature 3D-style text with nods to these spoilers, an epic soundtrack, and "epic moments" footage from the show :pinkie:  I hope to complete it before the end of this month - I'm so busy with schoolwork  :(