Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should power level even matter for alicorn oc's?

ManaMinori

I see a lot of "alicorn oc's can't be o op" and "alicorn underpowered oc might as well be other 3 races, if they can't use magi , fly, etc"

Bt DOES an alicirn oc need those powers and abilities (or have lack thereof) to be an alicorn?

When Twilight ascended, Sunbutt said that it was because she 1: came to understand friendship 2: displayed each quality of her friends in adition to leadership in herself, at one point, and 3: felt she was an alicorn on the inside, to have "the magic in her heart" come out and physically turn her into what she already was, within

Whether an alicorn is overpowered or underpowered, I think, is irrelevent to the pony being an alicorn

But by the show's own standards, for someone's oc alicorn have all those qualities shown by deed and action, along with the belief of being an alicorn within, before physically becoming one, should still be rare enough to where Equestria is crawling with alicorns

• Brohoof 1

I personally see power levels as a useless thing with OC's in general. Some people in the fandom fret far too much over if an OC is under-powered or super duper Mary Sue. It doesn't really matter either way.

Personally, I think power levels are important to any OC, in that it is an aspect of your character and how they interact with the world. What your character is capable of is an important part of who they are, when it comes to alicorns it isn't unbelievable that they wouldn't be so good at magic or flying if they had never had the ability to do so before they became alicorns, after all Twilight wasn't very good at flying when she started out, and if RD hadn't been pushing her to learn how she may have simply decided to not pick it up or simply remained at 'good enough.'

On the other side, having your character be too powerful is a problem, as it makes it less fun for others to interact with them.

Ultimately though it is really up to you how powerful or not your characters are, alicorn or no.

• Brohoof 2

I see a lot of "Alicorn Ocs can't be to OP," and: "Alicorn underpowered OC might as well be one of the other three races, if they can't use magic, fly, etc."

But does an alicorn need those powers and abilities (or lack them) to be an alicorn?

When Twilight ascended, Sunbutt said that it was because she 1: came to understand friendship, 2: displayed each quality of her friends in addition to leadership in herself, at one point, and 3: felt she was an alicorn on the inside, to have "the magic in her heart" come out and physically turn her into what she already was within.

Whether an alicorn is overpowered or underpowered, I think, is irrelevent to the pony being an alicorn

But by the show's own standards, for someone's oc alicorn have all those qualities shown by deed and action, along with the belief of being an alicorn within, before physically becoming one, should still be rare enough to where Equestria is crawling with alicorns

I agree that alicorns should be rare, but won't there eventually be more as Celestia, Luna, Twilight and Cadence have children? Lets say they have two children each. That makes twelve alicorns already. And what about other alicorns? For all we know there might be 100 more alicorns living in places other than Equestria!

Also, if an alicorn say couldn't fly (I mean at all), why couldn't it just be a unicorn, if it has a broken horn then a pegasus, if it isn't really strong and isn't in touch with nature then a changeling!

I don't really agree that alicorns can't be OP. If you took Sunbutt and compared her to a unicorn she would be super OP, but by alicorn standards, she is just normal (well, by alpha alicorn standards). Alicorns can be OP though. Even Celestia can be beaten. Make them have weaknesses and flaws as well as strengths! (Don't fall into the "Alicorns don't age so therefore are immortal" trap, the can die, take Celestia and Luna's parents, they probably didn't die of old age, but of some other force)

@@iSurvivor,

Alicorns should certainly be rare, and there will likely be more as time goes on, but so far only Cadence is known to have had an alicorn child. I would think that C and L are hardly likely to have children at all at this rate, thus we don't really need to worry about a rise in Alicorn population from that route. Besides, who says all the children of alicorns will be alicorns? So far we have a sample size of one, and that is hardly conclusive.

As to whether a character should or shouldn't be an alicorn, say they were hurt after being an alicorn that broke their wings, horn, or legs, would that say that they should lose their alicorn status for it? What if a unicorn had a broken horn, shouldn't they just be an

Earth pony instead?

Of course the answer is NO! Your race is of course not determined by the status of your body. This would of course then extend to an alicorn who's wings were injured to uselessness, but they would still have the pegasus magics within to manipulate weather and walk on clouds.

Of course, if they lacked one of the types of magic then they fail the very definition of alicorn as a fusion of the three races, if they lack an Earth Pony's magically enhanced strength or nature then they can't be an alicorn, but if they're unable to fly, especially if they've never had wings before, that hardly prevents them from being an alicorn.

Of course alicorn OCs can be too powerful, any character needs a weakness in order to be enjoyable. As to unaging, they had to have aged unless they were born in the state they are presently in, we also don't have a real indication as to them being truly immortal, just that they are exceedingly long lived to have been around for at least a full thousand years. They could still be biologically immortal, thus unable to die from old age, but they might not be. Who's to say their parents didn't die from old age?

In short, your abilities do not determine your race, and an injury doesn't mean you aren't what you were before the injury.

Power levels are important to all OCs. A overpowered earth pony is just as bad as a overpowered alicorn.

And don't get me started on the underpowered alicorns. If you want to make a character that uses magic but can't fly then you can make a unicorn OC.

• Brohoof 2

Power levels are important to all OCs. A overpowered earth pony is just as bad as a overpowered alicorn.

And don't get me started on the underpowered alicorns. If you want to make a character that uses magic but can't fly then you can make a unicorn OC.

It depends on how it's put. For example, an alicorn who's nervous about heights and/or not very good at flying would make sense if they were a unicorn before being ascended. Merely being given wings wouldn't automatically make the alicorn lose their fear of heights or make them a champion flyer, and to make them so is a bit Mary Sue-ish. After all, Twilight wasn't great at flying and she only improved cuz of being coached by Rainbow. Another alicorn without a champion flyer for a friend might just choose to settle for being average, or by only using their wings when they absolutely have to.

I'm allergic to bee stings and also phobic about bees. Being magically made unallergic wouldn't stop me being scared of those damn buzzing things. O_o

Alicorn power levels, in my own humble opinion, should be tailored to specifics.

Luna, for example, has a focus on the night and different aspects of it; dreams, the moon, Nightmare Night, etc. - she may have some power in other areas, but her FOCUS is the night.

Any alicorn should have a similar focus; they should have some influence over aspects of it, but other secondary areas should be limited.  

Like I've said a number of times to others, having weak points and loopholes in your character gives room for improvement AND gives other characters a reason to get involved.  If your OC can do EVERYTHING, then why in Tartarus are the rest of the characters there?  Alicorns are awesome... but if Celestia and Luna could handle everything themselves, then they would - and the resulting story would be boring.  Boring because problems aren't REALLY problems - they'd be solved instantly.  *yawn*  No conflict = DULLSVILLE.

Even Luna needed help from the Mane Six to solve her Tantabus issue - proof that alicorns, even those over a thousand years old, are NOT the be-all, end-all that many folks tend to project them as.

So, in my opinion - yes, power level SHOULD matter for alicorn OCs... or at least it should matter if you want folks to enjoy roleplaying with them.

• Brohoof 1

Alicorns should certainly be rare, and there will likely be more as time goes on, but so far only Cadence is known to have had an alicorn child. I would think that C and L are hardly likely to have children at all at this rate, thus we don't really need to worry about a rise in Alicorn population from that route. Besides, who says all the children of alicorns will be alicorns? So far we have a sample size of one, and that is hardly conclusive.

True, but  lets just say that all alicorns have alicorn children (because of Flurry Heart, I have to scrap my OCs  :unamused: )

As to whether a character should or shouldn't be an alicorn, say they were hurt after being an alicorn that broke their wings, horn, or legs, would that say that they should lose their alicorn status for it? What if a unicorn had a broken horn, shouldn't they just be an

Earth pony instead?

I mean if they were born without the ability, people often do this because it looks cool or they want it to be a princess or they are trying to make a weakness.

Of course, if they lacked one of the types of magic then they fail the very definition of alicorn as a fusion of the three races, if they lack an Earth Pony's magically enhanced strength or nature then they can't be an alicorn, but if they're unable to fly, especially if they've never had wings before, that hardly prevents them from being an alicorn.

I mean, if they lacked the magic to do so. Like for example, if they had wings but lacked the pegasus magic to use them

Of course alicorn OCs can be too powerful, any character needs a weakness in order to be enjoyable. As to unaging, they had to have aged unless they were born in the state they are presently in, we also don't have a real indication as to them being truly immortal, just that they are exceedingly long lived to have been around for at least a full thousand years. They could still be biologically immortal, thus unable to die from old age, but they might not be. Who's to say their parents didn't die from old age?

I mean, itis hard to make them too powerful, if they could defeat tirek just by looking at him, they would be OP, but if they had amazing magic (far more than any unicorn) then they wouldn't be (as long as it isn't a million times better than Celestia or something) 

@@iSurvivor,

Let me first just say that I appreciate the level of effort you put forth to respond to each of my points.

Now to respond to your points in order:

1. Let me introduce you to this thing called a branching canon, it's the process by which you set a specific point from which your fanon, and thus your OCs, diverge from the canon line. Then all things in the show that happened after your point of divergence only affect your fanon to the degree that you let them. For instance my fanon diverges right after the season three finale.

In short, you don't have to scrap your OCs because the canon disagrees.

2. If they were born without the ability then that's a different story, to be an alicorn they need to have the combined magics of all three races. My point was that they would still have the magic within them despite being unable to use the ability due to damage or ignorance.

3. If they lacked the magic, then again they fail the definition of alicorn, my point was rather that they didn't know how to fly and were not otherwise inclined to learn how to. For example, they have a bike they can ride, they just don't know how to ride it.

4. I find it rather easy to make a character too powerful, rather it can be hard for someone playing a character to let their character come to harm and thus do things like impossible dodges and never really taking damage. Though I think you have a good idea of what makes a character OP