Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm loving the loading bar

Discordian

It's quite unique to have a loading avatar that's actually themed specifically for the forum and not just like...text saying "loading"

I absolutely love it.

But a question: Will it always be Rainbow Dash or will it possibly change at any point?

• Brohoof 1

I agree as well. I have to say that I was a bit confused the first couple of times I saw it. At first I just thought it was my Rainbowdash, since I almost always have her walking around my computer with the desktop ponies app. Anyway, great work with the animation, I really enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really notice it, seeing as iv'e already got a whole bunch of pony sprites running around my desktop with the desktop ponies app. Seeing as there's literally a sprite of everypony I think some variation in the loading animation would be a lovely addition.

Yeah, I love it too! It decreased my loading times by 20%, and can load a page in 10 millaseconds flat!

I doubt it'll ever change, unless the loader can change with different skins, but I don't think this forum type supports different skins... Though I could be wrong.

Edited by Tom the Rock
  • Brohoof 1

Or maybe a customizable option?

"Which loading character would you like?"

RD isn't my favorite character (despite my signature...)

I actually prefer Rarity (but if Luna is in that Haloween episode... Who knows?)

But as of now, considering how new the forums are, I'm perfectly OK with Rainbow Dash as the loading sprite.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really happy to hear you guys like having Rainbow Dash as our loading pony. The alternative was a boring green thing with three flashing squares in it - switch to the default IP.Board theme to see it.

It's quite unique to have a loading avatar that's actually themed specifically for the forum and not just like...text saying "loading"

I absolutely love it.

But a question: Will it always be Rainbow Dash or will it possibly change at any point?

It may change at some point. We haven't really decided yet.

I agree, nice job on all the little details like this. I've never been on a more visually stimulating forum ever.

And uh... you can keep the RD loading icon up forever ;)

Thank you so much! I made the theme, but I don't consider myself a designer by any stretch of the imagination, so it's great to hear that you love the work we put into it. I was originally planning to someday hire a professional designer to make us a better theme, but now that just seems like a waste of money seeing as everyone loves my theme so much.

Yeah, I love it too! It decreased my loading times by 20%, and can load a page in 10 millaseconds flat!

I doubt it'll ever change, unless the loader can change with different skins, but I don't think this forum type supports different skins... Though I could be wrong.

I've never heard of a forum engine that doesn't support multiple skins. Try to "Change Theme" button at the bottom-left corner of every page. ;)

Pinkie with instruments loading theme at some point. Hoping for it.

Maybe. I like the sound of that.

Or maybe a customizable option?

"Which loading character would you like?"

RD isn't my favorite character (despite my signature...)

I actually prefer Rarity (but if Luna is in that Haloween episode... Who knows?)

But as of now, considering how new the forums are, I'm perfectly OK with Rainbow Dash as the loading sprite.

That's going to get unnecessarily complicated to program into the board for such a trivial detail. It's not gonna happen. The most it might come to is Rainbow Dash occasionally getting swapped out for somepony else.

I might work on a Twilight one or a *insert other loved pony here* one at some point

wow look at all the typos i just fixed....i need to get sleep..

I might work on a Twilight one or a *insert other loved pony here* one at some point

wow look at all the typos i just fixed....i need to get sleep..

That would be cool can't wait to see a Applejack one.

Another option... depending on how flexible IP.Board is, it should be fairly simple to make it use a different, randomized image per use; as below.

http://usuallydead.com/zoop/gif/rotate.php

That can be achieved through some Javascript or PHP (as is done with that particular image) - IP.Board's flexibility has nothing to do with it. However, it won't happen for one main reason:

The loading GIF itself has to be loaded. Using just one pony for it allows your browser to cache the image after loading it just once. If we were to use a different image every time, that means it would have to be re-downloaded every time. In other words, you'd be adding an unnecessary 7-10 KB to load every single time you hover over a username, preview a topic, check your PM's, etc.

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but maybe we can have a different selection of ponies to choose for the loading animation. Like if you prefer Derpy, Applejack, Rarity, etc. then you can choose those.

In other words, you'd be adding an unnecessary 7-10 KB to load every single time you hover over a username, preview a topic, check your PM's, etc.

True enough. There are ways to get around that, but the amount of effort required would be enough that it'd be a bit pointless for a loading graphic you're only going to see for a couple seconds at a time.

The fact that you're staying conscious about bandwidth and loading times is good to know, at any rate.