Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that do not deserve the hate they get

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I'd have to say Braid, though I haven't seen all that much hate for it. The flak I've seen it get was for being "pretentious" and, I'll be honest, I thought it was too.

But the thing is, it's more about what people read into it and wasn't there - because sometimes, not everything is meaningful and some things are there just to be pretty.

Some people do not like Smash 4 because it's not as fast as Melee. I do not like the Smash community. Smash 4 has enough hate to have earned a nickname ''Trash 4''. In my opinion, the Melee players should at least respect every other Smash game because while it may not be as fast, it's the same concept, but I can't change the Smash community, especially with a post that isn't even on Smashboards.

Pokemon D/P/Pt and B/W B2/W2 come to mind. I enjoyed Diamond so much more than I enjoyed Ruby. And I enjoyed Black a whole lot, it felt so refreshing, making you use new Pokemon only pre-post game. People just love to hate on them because of the Pokemon designs, but there are terrible Pokemon designs in all generations. I think Generation V in particular had a lot of strong Pokemon designs that I really like. Whichever ones I didn't care so much for, they are easily outweighed by the great ones!

The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess also sees a lot of hate from the Zelda fandom. It came to the point that I had to 'quit' the Zelda section of a Zelda forum because the haters were so prevalent and obnoxious. Skyward Sword also probably gets too much hate. I had a lot of criticisms for Skyward Sword myself, but I did really like the places it was strong in.

Then there's poor Super Mario Sunshine. It really shines now that it is the last 3D Mario where the worlds were not linear levels that felt like 2D Mario levels with some running room (yet it provided these kinds of levels within the worlds... It was like the best of both worlds). The Galaxy games may look pretty and they may have great orchestrated OSTs, but I can't say much about them aside from that.

I saw Happy Home Designer mentioned in this topic, it didn't really come to mind, but I do remember a lot of people hating it for not being a full-blown AC game and I found that unfair. HHD is great for what it set out to do. Besides, New Leaf came out in 2012/2013, HHD in 2015. Remember the last time Nintendo released a full AC game so quickly after the last? We got City Folk, which was awful. Be careful what you wish for. I'll gladly take HHD over a watered down slopped together AC 'sequel' like City Folk.

• Brohoof 2

COD series.  I personally don't like COD anymore because of insane prices and crazy amount of DLC it has but the hate is just out of control.  People always complain that COD is the same thing every year (which is kind of true) but when the series does something new people also freak out.  At this point people just hate on COD because it seems like a fun thing to do and because people like band wagons.

Destiny. I mean, people hate on it for lack of gameplay or the RNGing involved with it..... What fun is it getting everything all at once? Grinding for it actually makes it feel rewarding once you do have an entire loadout of End game gear or that awesome exotic weapon that not many have. People complain that it's repetitive...yet they're the ones that play CoD and such games(also, what game doesn't get repetitive after awhile).....Hell, there's challenging PvE and PvP things in it...lots of different ways to play the game and have fun with it. PvE wise, you've got Patrol modes on different planets, 3 different Raids, each with a Heroic/Hard mode, Arena fighting, Strikes on various planets and there's also the weekly Nightfall Strike. PvP, you've got the basic Crucible, featuring various Free For All,3v3 and 6v6 playlists, there's also special events such as Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner.

Was it what everyone expected it to be? no. Does that mean it deserves the hate it gets? Probably not. It is still a popular game after all.

I was one of the few people that didn't hate the ending of Mass Effect 3. Maybe it's because I started on the 2nd game or I wasn't too deep in the lore of the game. The hate that game received was out of control.

I agree with ME3, but the problem with the endings was that the devs promised multiple endings based on choices made throughout the game (and I think the previous games if memory serves), but the endings given were all almost identical and were pretty much bad entirely on which option you selected during the games final conversation.

Free dlc partially remedied that, but even with the original endings, the rest of the game was fantastic imo, so definitely doesn't deserve a lot of the hate thrown at it!

• Brohoof 3

I find most games that are hated on don't deserve it. A lot of the time people hate games for not being exactly like their favorite games in that series. Or even like their favorite games ever.

This is why developers don't experiment much a lot of the time. Because gamers are too wussy to accept the changes. They just want Symphony of the Night 2.0 and Final Fantasy IV OMT (one more time).

• Brohoof 1

Overwatch. wait this game doesnt get any hate. cos its the best game ever. :P :P :P :P

Bully: all my friends say it was a horrible game, but it was fun to mod and be a huge part of the community... until i got banned.

I kind of get why people hate Super Mario Sunshine with some repetitive levels, but at the same time, it's not that bad. In fact, it does some things better than Mario 64. It feels a lot more free with the jumps you can make and the settings are interesting.

I also think it is a very good game. However, the difficulty is really off. Mario 64 had such a good learn curve and playstyles for different levels of players, that it's difficult to play Super Mario Sunshine without feeling how hard levels are for the average player. Don't get me wrong, I love difficulty and I played it for a while when I was young, but it does not offer enough tools for the player. Honestly, how does a 6 years old player beat the sand-bird level ? Mario galaxy and Mario 64 had some difficult levels, but it was well balanced.

I feel if they made the controls a bit better in Sunshine, it wouldn't have as many complaints.

I saw Pokémon Black/White 2 mentioned and I do agree it didn't deserve its massive hatedom. Back when it was released, the fans were tearing it apart for being too similar to Black/White 1 and I disagree. If anything, it adds even more that BW1 lacked, and the PWT is a good time killer when you're looking for points to buy rare items. There's a lot of team possibilities that BW1 sorely lacked in, giving you a lot of older gen mons that you can catch.

Pokémon Black and White, and Black and White 2. I thought the way it was centred around the story of Team Plasma was actually interesting and fun, and it introduced some awesome Pokémon in my opinion.

Sonic Unleashed; I have mentioned my love for this game many times before, but I really do think it is amazing. It is not perfect, and has its fair share of plot holes and slightly cringey dialogue, but I thoroughly enjoy it and would consider it one of my favourite games of all time. I absolutely adore the night-time stages, in fact, which a lot of people think are the major pitfalls of the game (I assume seeing as it is not typical Sonic The Hedgehog gameplay? It is slowed down a lot, and highly based on platforming, puzzle-solving and combat. It also takes up the majority of the game. :P) :squee:

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen Mario Sunshine get a lot of flak over the years. I have my problems with Sunshine, but I feel that the good outweighs the bad in this case. There's a ton of freedom with movement and the main worlds are solid.  The waterpack is very functional and makes them game a lot more fun if you know how to use it.  Honestly, I like Sunshine more than 64, which might be considered blasphemy.

On 2016-07-05 at 2:41 AM, Discordian said:

This is why developers don't experiment much a lot of the time. Because gamers are too wussy to accept the changes. They just want Symphony of the Night 2.0 and Final Fantasy IV OMT (one more time).

Don’t forget Ocarina of Time 2 :fluttershy:, fanboys at Reddit can’t shut up about it for 5 minutes :dash:. TP IS OVERRATED, BOTW FOR THE WIIIIIIIIIN :yay: