Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Few Questions About The Movie

Ranky64

I have come to ask a few questions about the film, and would like to hear your opinions.

1. First off, the My Little Pony Movie has been continuously been advertised as "feature-length". But what does this mean? The Equestria Girls had similar advertising, but they're all only 70 mins. So what will this mean for the film? My best guess is it probably won't be 70 mins. But the actual  running time itself. Will it be under the "1hr 30min" mark? Or could it possibly go past 100 mins?

2. Second, I was wondering if the film could possibly get a 3D release. It's an odd question, seeing as the show and most likely the movie are 2D Flash animation, though you never know.

3. Next, what rating do you think it'll have? It probably will have a G Rating, though you never know if it ever wants to take a drastic tone from the series and be darker, it could always get a PG. It is possible.

4. And finally, I want to know your opinion on the reception of the film. Will it be a Box Office Success? Will the Critics like it? What Tomatometer score will it have? What about the Brony Community?

That's all my questions. Please respond and give me your opinions!

• Brohoof 2

1. feature length only means its as long as a feature film or program so that doesnt really mean anything but my guess is its about 1  1/2 to 2 hours long

2. most likely and i mean like 96.231 percent likely that its 2d animation only 3d animated mlp thing was commercials if i recall

3. G rated definitely you have to remember the show is very much trying for a young demographic and the show has always been Y and equestria girls has been rated G so maybe its a 97.342 percent chance its rated G

4. umm if its like equestria girls then 50/50 on all of them and say 100 million in box office and tomatometer would be 60 - 74 if its like the show then maybe it will get say 300 million in box office then bronys would like it and critics would most likely like it just not adore it tomatometer would be say 80 if its like none of those then well i literally have no idea i mean ill watch it no matter probably at least twice 

1: The MLP movie is gonna be the "real deal", so I can see it going over 100 minutes.

2: The movie is most likely gonna be 2D only. I don't know how they could do 3D all of a sudden.

3: Probably a G rating, but a PG rating is still possible. Like you said, having a PG rating can give the writers more freedom for a darker story.

4: It's hard to say. Besides haters, the show seems to be getting decent reviews at least. In terms of the brony community, unless the staff really screws up the movie somehow, I can't see the community hating it. In terms of box office success, that's gonna be a bit hard, because I already see a few movies that are definitely gonna be popular next year. The show is definitely popular, but I think Hasbro still needs to advertise the movie a lot, otherwise it'll get overshadowed.

Edited by Heavy Magic

1. Probably anywhere from 92-105 min long

2. It probably will. The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast look gorgeous in 3D, so why not this?

3. If there's any form of peril, darkness, or action, it's automatically PG. The series has had all 3, so assumably (with the modern MPAA standards) it will be PG for thematic elements, action, and mild humor.

4. Contrary to what some morons say, no, Disney does not control critical reviews (*cough Joby Dimms *cough). The film has the potential to be a huge hit among critics, even as high as 90% on the Tomatometer or 80 on Metacritic. Having a social message or emotional moments will for sure capture their hearts.

Box office is totally dependent on how well the film is revived and how it's marketed. Regardless, you already have millions of Bronies and even more millions of children (still the majority of the audience no matter how you want to put it), as well as some nostalgists who watched MLP in the 80s. What will attract more audiences is one, obviously great reviews, two, a widespread and interesting marketing campaign (like with Deadpool or Zootopia; also Lionsgate did Hunger Games, and the marketing for that was great) and three, and this is probably the best factor, Sia. With here mega-fanbase, she'll be able to vastly market this film with not only her image but a song for the movie, just like Shakira did with Zootopia.

75-80% of the Brony fandom will love it, a sliver will think it's okay, and the rest will be the most outspoken and cry how it's the worst thing ever and how MLP is ruined (sound familiar?)

Overall my predictons are:

88% Rotten Tomatoes / 90% Audience Score

80 Metacritic

8.1/10 IMDB

$70-75m opening weekend

$200-250m domestic

$500-550m WW

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

1. It will probably be an hour and a half, maybe a few minutes over that, but not much longer.

2. It will be animated using ToonBoom software instead of Flash, and I don't really think it will get a 3D release.

3. It's an MLP movie, so I am pretty confidant it will end up getting a G rating.

4. The movie will probably be a modest success in the box office, but it's not going to be some cinematic masterpiece or anything and the reception it will get from critics and audiences would reflect that.

1. About an hour and a half, like an average movie.

2. Probably not.

3. Either G or PG. I'm thinking G.

4. You know, I'm not a genius when it comes to analyzing things like this, but in this case, there is still not enough to make an educated guess. I can't see why the issue of whether or not it will be received well is so widely discussed, when there's not even a trailer out. So, I will reserve judgement.

I have come to ask a few questions about the film, and would like to hear your opinions.

1. First off, the My Little Pony Movie has been continuously been advertised as "feature-length". But what does this mean? The Equestria Girls had similar advertising, but they're all only 70 mins. So what will this mean for the film? My best guess is it probably won't be 70 mins. But the actual  running time itself. Will it be under the "1hr 30min" mark? Or could it possibly go past 100 mins?

2. Second, I was wondering if the film could possibly get a 3D release. It's an odd question, seeing as the show and most likely the movie are 2D Flash animation, though you never know.

3. Next, what rating do you think it'll have? It probably will have a G Rating, though you never know if it ever wants to take a drastic tone from the series and be darker, it could always get a PG. It is possible.

4. And finally, I want to know your opinion on the reception of the film. Will it be a Box Office Success? Will the Critics like it? What Tomatometer score will it have? What about the Brony Community?

That's all my questions. Please respond and give me your opinions!

1-We got three, with a fourth coming humanized films with the 70 min mark, and they are decently advertised at least. This however seems to be aiming at the big leagues. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll be longer, it could just mean it has more investment in celebrity actors, higher quality art and animations, orchestrated music, bigger plot, etc. Yes, it could mean we'll hit 90, wit 100 mins AT MOST.

2- It won't be flash animation, they'll use the same tool used with the Princess and the Frog film. I'm not sure if that works well in 3D though :huh:

3- MLP? Above G rating? It'll be more likely that Duke Nukem is gay :dash:

4- I think it'll be a moderate success, and not a box office phail, but I'm not expecting it to break audience records and stuff :huh:. It would be great if it becomes a cult classic though  :icwudt:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

1. These days, "feature-length" could refer to anything over an hour long. But Equestria Girls is only a spinoff rather than something with a heavily marketed, wide theatrical release. The "main series" film will probably be longer than 70 minutes, but no longer than 100 minutes. 90 minutes sounds about right. Kids need to be able to sit through the whole thing, after all.

2. As mentioned by @cmarston1, the film is being animated in ToonBoom rather than Flash. I guess they might do a 3D release, but I won't really care if that's what they do. I prefer to see movies in 2D.

3. Here's the thing: the show is supposed to be very safe for kids to watch. I'm assuming the movie will be the same way. I could only see the film being rated PG for things like mild fantasy violence.

4. I don't think the film will be a box office success, since after all this isn't Disney or Dreamworks who churn out quality big-budget animated films every year, but critics might see past that. I have no idea about what the Rotten Tomatoes scores will be. The brony community will be split. You can't please everyone, as we've seen with the reception to recent seasons of the show. Some people love them, some people don't like them, etc. The movie will be the same way. I'm just trying to keep my expectations down in hopes that I will be surprised.

1. Probably the length of most animated films (Around 90 minutes.)

2. As much as I'd love it, I doubt there will be a 3D release. (You never know, though.)

3. I'd say PG. The movie will likely have a darker tone than the show, with slight fantasy violence being most likely. (We already got that intense battle with Tirek.)

4. While the MLP franchise has grown largely since the last theatrical release in the 80s, don't think it will be as successful as Disney or DreamWorks films. Those movies have a much larger budget, and they're more well known with the target audience. I can't say anything about critics, though, as we know almost nothing about this movie.