Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Most overrated films you've seen?

SrFrog

2001: A Space Odyssey

I don't even know how the movie was entertaining. Literally half of the move was some random spaceship floating around with orchestral music playing in the background. Plus, there was very little dialogue. You either saw monkeys hitting each other with bones, spacemen melt because of a random monolith, and a giant-ass baby floating around in space.

I don't even know what the point of the movie was?

I liked 2001. The point was that the monoliths altered the apes to become the tool using creatures that became man. Then, much later, they altered man to a point where he would no longer need the tools. (That's my take on it)

Oh, and if you slightly change the position of the hyphen in your post, it brings really strange images to mind.

"a giant-ass baby floating around in space."

"a giant ass-baby floating around in space."

:adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

Yah, I'm just not into all that "deeper meaning" stuff when it comes to movies. I just want to be entertained. That's why I watch movies like "Prisoners" and "Act of Valor".

As for the hyphens... Wtf?

"Look at that ass-baby! It's giant!"

I have no idea why I thought that, or why it keeps making me laugh!

• Brohoof 2

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

A whole movie of vignettes that are only vaguely related. Nothing really explained, though I guess that is supposed to be the charm.

Silence of the Lambs.

Read the book and saw the movie. I watched the movie expecting some really horrible imagery, basically got an extended episode of Criminal Minds. Granted, what I saw was an edited for TV version, and it should be pointed out that movie is nearly 25 years old now and things have changed a bit in terms of what is acceptable.

2001: A Space Odyssey I don't even know how the movie was entertaining. Literally half of the move was some random spaceship floating around with orchestral music playing in the background. Plus, there was very little dialogue. You either saw monkeys hitting each other with bones, spacemen melt because of a random monolith, and a giant-ass baby floating around in space. I don't even know what the point of the movie was?

I am with you on this one, honestly it seems more like a special effects demo reel than anything else.  I honestly group this movie, Star Trek The Motion Picture and the Star Wars Prequels in the same category, lots of special effects, no substance. 

• Brohoof 1

Overrated, huh?

I'd say Frozen was overrated. Sure it was a good kids movie but it was just so similar to films like it, that it really made me quite bored.

My sister and mom told me it was different and extremely good but It has been done better before. it isn't my cup of tea.

Twilight films are complete and utter garbage. These movies ruined the idea of vampires/werewolf being badass. I don't know how these films make enough to stay on life support but they do. I say pull the plug on these and make something awesome instead.

2001: A Space Odyssey has no substance? 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHH

2001 is probably the most intelligent movie ever made. It's got a lot to say, it just says it using methods a casual viewer might find unfamiliar. Typical movie conventions like the "protagonist" and "three-act structure" are largely abandoned, with the film instead linking scenes together through visual/thematic parallels. Don't think of it as prose, think of it as poetry. Don't just passively look at crazy apes and floating spaceships, instead think about what those images mean when put together.

For the record, I happen to think it's a blast to watch.

And just to stay on topic...

Birdman is rather overrated. Lots of critics are putting it on their best-of-year lists and it appears to be one of the frontrunners for a Best Picture nomination. I found it rather shallow and self-congratulatory underneath all the gimmicky visual pyrotechnics.

• Brohoof 2