Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Most overrated films you've seen?

SrFrog

Frozen, even though i don't find the movie "overrated" anymore, because everyone in the internet started to underrate it. When i first watched it i didn't find it as great as some people claimed it to be.

Forest Gump, one of those movies that you should "watch before you die"... and most of those end up disappointing.

Harry Potter 6, Best book gets the worst movie. What's up with that?

I could rattle off titles forever, but for the sake of convenience I'll restrain myself.

In recent years:

-Iron Man

-Toy Story 3

-The Avengers

-Frozen

-Guardians of the Galaxy

And going a little further back, and possibly into the realm of obscurity:

-Akira

-Aliens

-The Empire Strikes Back

-Vertigo

-Casablanca

-City Lights

-The Passion of Joan of Arc

Some of those up there I actually like, such as FrozenEmpire, Passion and to a lesser extent Vertigo, but suffice it to say I don't understand the adulation they receive in some circles.

The Hunger Games) It focuses more on the romance than what the book was about, a dystopian world where children are forced to kill each other. And they were focusing on a PG - PG13 rating, so the combat scenes are just boring.

Insidious) People often tell me this is the scariest film they have ever seen. If you find jump scares scary, this is the film for you.
Movie started out alright, but it quickly turned into a jump scare gang bang, with the Inception noise blaring every time something popped out. Towards the end of the movie, they added in this alternate universe bullshit, which just killed it for me.

The Thin Red Line) My god, this movie sucks. There's too many damn characters, who are uninteresting, so I couldn't care less if they died or not. The battle scenes are actually not that bad,could be better, but whenever it feels like it's going to end, something else just happens. This movie barely moves forward, there's so many flashbacks and narration. It tries to be poetic, but it's really just a snore fest. 

• Brohoof 1

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - I found this comedy downright painful to sit through.

A Christmas Story - See Above

Forest Gump - A nostalgic retelling of recent history that I found rather dull.  Just watch a History Channel special on said historical period instead, assuming the History Channel still airs specials on history, last time a checked they joined the Dark Side and show reality TV like the rest of cable (which I have long since canceled).

GoldenEye (1995)

But this was my favorite Bond flick :(  Since you brought up Bond films though:

Goldfinger - Starts off ok but this movie becomes downright dull towards the midpoint as Bond just hangs out on Goldfinger's ranch as a prisoner/guest for a considerable portion of the films run time.  Bond never really seems to actually do much of anything in this film.  I never understood how this became a legendary Bond film.

Rocky - I have to agree with you on this one, I have no idea what people see in it.

Dumb and Dumber - I hate this film with an undying passion.

Adam Sandler Films - These films are all the same.  Juvenile comedies about an overgrown man child learning to be a slightly less overgrown man child.  Pass!

The Birds - I know that Alfred Hitchcock is considered a filming pioneer, but come on!

The Spider Man Movies - Are these movies about Spider Man or Peter Parker's poorly managed interpersonal relationships?  Because if I wanted shitty relationship drama, I would watch a romantic comedy and not a superhero movie.

Akira - I have to agree with Rudes here.  It is just about a kid with incomprehensible power blowing shit up (something I could say about a lot of anime, but still).

Edited by Twilight Dirac

Indiana Jones. Have I accidentally opened the hate floodgates?

It depends on which one you are referring to.  If its Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls people are going to join you in bashing it.  If it is The Last Crusade that people will want to tar and feather you. 

• Brohoof 1

Avatar: Literally just Pocahontas retold in a futuristic way

The Hunger Games: Katniss' character was very shallow compared to the book, I thought.  Plus, the Cornucopia was black, not gold as it was in the book.

Frozen: They had a pretty good soundtrack, but the plot was....eh.  A lot of stuff didn't make sense, like how the old grandpa troll didn't tell Elsa about the antidote to her powers.  If he had, maybe she wouldn't have been as scared and been able to control her powers a little better.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (It was alright,  just expected more for as much as it was hyped.)

Frozen (Cute, but meh.)

Up (Sad and then boring.)

The Hobbit movies (The new ones. 3 movies weren't necessary for a book that size)

It depends on which one you are referring to.  If its Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls people are going to join you in bashing it.  If it is The Last Crusade that people will want to tar and feather you. 

Raiders of the Lost Ark, to b exact.

~Frozen. There are too many plot holes, highly overrated to the point of insantity. I prefer Tangled over this movie.

~Hunger Games and just any futuristic movie in general. (Except the Matrix: I like that movie)

~Avatar (Not TLA)

~The Twilight Saga

~Toy Story 1,2,and 3

~The Fault in Our Stars(I'm gonna be hated for this) I really liked the book but the movie didn't do it for me.

V/H/S 2 comes to mind. People claim it was better than the first one, but I found it far less interesting than the first one (Which is insanely good!). As a horror movie, it's watchable, but beyond that I would only recommend it to fans of the series. Avoid the "Third" one if you can.

Forrest Gump. It is a decent movie, but it's not amazing as people make it out to be. I couldn't even follow the story half of the time.

On a related note, I like how people think that Frozen is overrated yet it'll be irrelevant in the next 4+ years, just like any other fad.

On a related note, I like how people think that Frozen is overrated yet it'll be irrelevant in the next 4+ years, just like any other fad.

It's not a fad. It's like Bambi or The Lion King. It'll go down in history as one of the best Disney movies due to its success.

Inception : the story's so complex it's hard to keep track of, but once you finally get it you realise it's so simple and boring.

The Lord of The Rings : the hobbit series is better in my opinion

James Bond: Quantum Solace : takes the spot for worst James Bond movie in history

• Brohoof 1

- Twilight series

- POTC: On Stranger Tides 

- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

- James Bond movies

- Mr.Bean movies

- The Host 

- Narnia: The Voyage of The Dawn Treader

- Frozen 

Well Frozen definitely, but honestly I think it would have to be: The Interview.

The movie was okay, but if North Korea would of left it alone, then it still wouldn't of gotten as popular. The first 20 minutes were great then it started to become just stupid and very boring to watch.

Ehh, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of popular culture or anything lol...

But I guess I would say "Avatar."  Don't get me wrong: I liked it well enough.  And if you got more out of it than I did, that's great.  But I could easily go the entire rest of my life without ever watching it again. o_O

I also feel iffy about the term "overrated," but that can of worms can remain unopened.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Yeah, this one's kinda a "so silly it's fun" movie. Honestly, I found it kinda dumb. Not in a bad way, though, because through the stupidity of it all, that's what made the movie enjoyable. I wouldn't really call it "quirky" dumb fun like I would The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it's along that wave length. It's a lot like an Adam Sandler movie: full of laughs and a hot babe, and wacky other things. However, I don't think it's really the "savior of the summer blockbuster" that it's been hailed as.It holds far too many traits about it that just seemed too Millennial as a film. I loved the use of prosthetic make-up in it, and the retro 70's and 80's music, but the film itself was just so busy. It suffers from what a lot of films suffer from these days: too much story. The origin of the summer blockbuster was simple, and this one just packed so much into a two hour film. The thing about a two hour film is that it should feel like it's two hours. It should be able to be broken up into, 3 or 4 acts, and it shouldn't really have too many locations. They went to, what, 5 different locations? Take a movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark. They keep it simple: jungle, University, Nepal, desert. Or Jaws: Amity and Ocean. Or Jurassic Park: desert, Costa Rican cafe, island. In Raiders, alone, they were only in one spot for the entirety of Nepal: Marion's bar. We didn't see Indy in the airport, we didn't see Indy going to the Bar, or leaving it, or stopping to ask for directions. We just see Marion's bar. That's it. Simple. GotG, like many blockbusters these days, feel the need to show as much of every setting as they can. Entering the location, getting to the location, interacting within the location in several different areas, having a conflict in the location, and finally leaving the location with a purpose. Hell, that was the entirety of the Cairo scene, which made up most of RaidersGuardians of the Galaxy uses this formula for 3 different scenes: Nova Corps fight, Prison, AND Knowhere. Granted, the scenes are of varying length, but the nature of a repetitive formula makes for an overly crowded film.

• Brohoof 1

"Moon"

I was hearing people rave about how Moon was a "captivating masterpiece". After all the hype, I decided to give it a watch... It turned out to be one of the most boring, nonsensical movies I have ever seen.

• Brohoof 1