Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Most overrated films you've seen?

SrFrog

It had Brendan Fraser in it, what did you expect?

DON'T YOU SAY THAT! *is in love with The Mummy 1 and 2*

many are saying that Avatar was a disappointment... I didn't think so o.O Okay, it was cliché, but I'm the type who looks more into the details. And the world. And I loved it all, all the way... :wub:

Many also say that horror films aren't scary... Well, duh. But one good one is "The Strangers". I'll be damned if you think it's just boring. But if you find it boring, then you're probably just searching for the clichés in the movie and prepare yourself for them, so that you can be just "bleh".

I remember that I was deeply disappointed at Eragon when it came out. SO. DARN. DISAPPOINTED.

• 2 years later...

I've seen a lot of Frozen being overrated posts, but besides that movie..

Is there any other movies you find way too overrated? And why do you find it too overrated?

For me, I would say the Avengers (Yeah, yeah, go ahead and kill me over that). I dunno why, I just really am not into those Marvel movies. I did see the Avengers to give it a shot, because everyone says its so great, but I actually kind of found it boring. I am just weird like that, i just don't like much Marvel stuff. But hey! Everyone has opinions anyways.

Guardians of the galaxy.
There, I said it. I found it disappointing as a whole. Dont get me wrong, its a great movie, just not the god child people make it out to be.

Edited by Kurai

Act of Valor was an overrated movie to me, I knew real navy seals while I was in the navy, they are not the demigods depicted in the movie, which was at best an propaganda film, sort of like The Expendables mixed with The Green Berets. The acting in this movie was way wooden, they were seals not actors, the script was copy and pasted from virtually every war film ever made, plus it was too cut and dry, eliminating the real cost of war, to everyone caught up in it, as a former serviceman, I don't like being call a hero, I believe the seals in Act of Valor do not like being call heroes either, but to me, it is foolish to hero worship, just because we were foolish enough to enlist, in this damn war, if you want to be a seal, better to play one as an airsoft or Call of Duty, at least you don't have to see real seals in a movie, because they were probably ordered to be in it.

WALL-E

It was good but didn't deserve the overwhelming praise. Also, the film was kinda boring since most of the characters didn't talk and the background music didn't make a no talk film exciting as the old silent films' music did.

Twilight, I worked in a movie theater for a year and a half, after you see Breaking Dawn Part 2(Not willingly) over 1000 times you can really see how awful it truly is.  Well okay it isn't awful,  but I don't see what is so great about the movies as quality wise they aren't very high up in most aspects, I don't know much about the book series so I'll refrain from saying anything on it.

• Brohoof 1

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes comes to mind

Some people were acting like it was an amazing movie (better than original, classic, and film of the year were some silly terms that were tossed around).

It was ok, great effects, but some awful writing and cliche characters.

The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I loved the music, and I loved Jack, but the love interest and the and bad guy were forced...also the ending leaves me feeling sad. Leaves me feeling like he never fixed his mistakes.

This isn't about the worst films you've seen. Just those movies that were overly hyped and just ended up a disappointment in your eyes or that didn't live up to the hype.

Top of my head I can think of two:

Cloverfield: often hyped as the next big American monster film, I just found it to be a disappointment due to the lack of actual monsters in the film.

James Cameron Avatar: All flash and no substance the love story in there felt awkward at times. Oh, and than there's the comparison with Dances with Wolves.

Twilight Series: The plot feels cheap and somehow it's able to attract a fan base that eats it all up.

Avatar being overrated o.o I always thought it was...underrated. Honestly, I never hear anyone talk about it. I feel like I am the only one whom is a BIG fan really. Oh well. :P

Inception- It's basically a long and pretentious retelling of this old Taoist proverb, "Chuang Tzu dreamed that he was a butterfly, flying about enjoying itself. It did not know that it was Chuang Tzu. Suddenly he awoke, and veritably was Chuang Tzu again. He did not know whether it was Chuang Tzu dreaming that he was a butterfly, or whether it was the butterfly dreaming that it was Chuang Tzu."

Twilight, I worked in a movie theater for a year and a half, after you see Breaking Dawn Part 2(Not willingly) over 1000 times you can really see how awful it truly is.
I feel your pain,used to work at a theater too and had to be subjected to that film numerous times.... I think the Geneva convention calls that psychological torture.
  • Brohoof 1