Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Equestria need to advance to Hard mode for Sunset to return?

ManaMinori

As it is now, dangers are far and few between, and Shimmy seems to prefer to be constantly challenged, so maybe Equestrian is just too "easy" for her to want to return to pony life?

There was a line by Shimmy in FG that said something like: "we haven't really won if the other side doesn't feel like they lost", which showed some of Sunny's characters and motives to stay in the human world-because climbing back up from her errors during the first movie, along with finding out the role of magic over there was harder and more of a challenge for her that she wanted to overcome to fully earn forgiveness than returning home and making amends with her teacher would have been.

So...maybe if there were equally challenging tasks or Sunset back in Equestria?

What do you guys think? Can Shimmy return if pony world's settings were switched to Hard mode? Would secondary character status be possible with her striving to overcome these challenges back home, without taking focus off of the mane6?

No. It seems like you ask a lot about what kind of conditions would make Sunset be a part of the show, but frankly the creative staff simply don't need her in the show and see her as something that's specifically part of EqG, not FiM.

And even considering this in-universe, she lives in an otherwise normal world that takes place in high school. She's not sticking around because she sees challenges there, she's sticking around because she has friends there and wants to continue staying there with them. If she cared about challenges or something like that, she'd go around having adventures like Daring Do.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

No. It seems like you ask a lot about what kind of conditions would make Sunset be a part of the show, but frankly the creative staff simply don't need her in the show and see her as something that's specifically part of EqG, not FiM.

And even considering this in-universe, she lives in an otherwise normal world that takes place in high school. She's not sticking around because she sees challenges there, she's sticking around because she has friends there and wants to continue staying there with them. If she cared about challenges or something like that, she'd go around having adventures like Daring Do.

if they truly saw her that way, the question of whether or not she should go back never would've been called to mind, let alone be a deleted scene in Friendship Games, nor would SciYwi have been given leader position in EoH, if they weren't even remotely considering sending Shimmy back to horse land (else, she would've remained the leader)

Even in the first movie, Sunbutt said she wanted Shimmy back. So there's obviously buildup and plot holes left wide open. That is why I speculate the conditions of how she could come back.

The possibility very obviously is there and made repeated hints at by the staff

if they truly saw her that way, the question of whether or not she should go back never would've been called to mind, let alone be a deleted scene in Friendship Games,

Just because it was a potential subplot doesn't mean they'd actually go for it. Because the end result was the same regardless of whether the subplot ever existed or was put in the movie or not, Sunset would just continue living in the human world. Them making a subplot out of it would've ultimately just been to help cement that she's not going back to Equestria. It's like when they've had Twilight questioning her purpose being a princess in Twilight's Kingdom, that's not in there because they seriously ever considered taking that away from her, it's used because they're telling a story, and introducing that kind of uncertainty and doubt in their character arcs will lead to a contrast with how it ends. Twilight ends up finding purpose in her title, and Sunset would've decided to stay in the human world.

nor would SciYwi have been given leader position in EoH, if they weren't even remotely considering sending Shimmy back to horse land (else, she would've remained the leader

Twilight wasn't the leader. Sunset was the one trying trying to be proactive, wanting everyone to figure out where the magic was coming from and investigating what Timber and Gloriosa were doing. Sunset was the one trying to help Twilight overcome her fears about Midnight Sparkle. Just because at the climax Twilight was able to use her powers of telekinesis to get everyone else their magic crystal and was the focal point of the rainbow bean finisher didn't make her the leader nor invalidate how Sunset was acting as leader throughout most of the movie. She's more of the second in command or the heavy of the team then the actual leader. What Twilight was doing through that movie wasn't being the leader, but being the protagonist of the story and mainly just focusing on her own inner feelings and character arc. And while it may be common to be both in a story, a protagonist is not necessarily the leader.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight has Starlight Glimmer in tow on the other side of the mirror...

"Hi Shimmer," says Twilight. "It appears we made a huge mistake." 

"Glimmer, you can learn a lot here in high school without your magics."

Shimmer and Twilight walk back through the mirror, the portal closing behind them.

The only reason Sunset would want to return at this point is to reconcile with Celestia and maybe want to check out how much has changed since she was last there. Right now, she isn't comfortable with wanting to do either perhaps because of a deep fear that she might not get the forgiveness from her former mentor.

I think Sunny should visit Equestria to amend fences with Celly only :huh:. I see her belonging to the human world not, as there's shere she has grown more as a person than her whole life before. Besides, if she's worried about magical dangers and such.... I think that'll be covered soon :dash:

Sunset has no reason to return. Only maybe if the Human sunset somehow appears (which brings up the question of what she did with her o.o)

what makes you think that Shimmy did something to human her?

Its not possible that humanShim goes to Everton? Or is a working woman who might not believe magic even exists?

I think Sunny should visit Equestria to amend fences with Celly only :huh:. I see her belonging to the human world not, as there's shere she has grown more as a person than her whole life before. Besides, if she's worried about magical dangers and such.... I think that'll be covered soon :dash:

Actually wouldn't it be more "equal" and poignant if Celestia came to Sunset?  Praise her over the progress and the life she has made, having found where she belongs.

Actually wouldn't it be more "equal" and poignant if Celestia came to Sunset?  Praise her over the progress and the life she has made, having found where she belongs.

While I think it'll be delightful if pony Celly go to the human world, it's Sunny who wronged her, and she should take the initiative to amend fences

While I think it'll be delightful if pony Celly go to the human world, it's Sunny who wronged her, and she should take the initiative to amend fences

Do we really know that Sunny wronged Celestia?  We just don't have a whole lot of information.  Plus it would not be out of character for Celestia to blame the faults of other ponies on herself and what she could or could not have done better.  It is even more in her character to recognize improvement and make the first move.

Do we really know that Sunny wronged Celestia?  We just don't have a whole lot of information.  Plus it would not be out of character for Celestia to blame the faults of other ponies on herself and what she could or could not have done better.  It is even more in her character to recognize improvement and make the first move.

Well, I never see Celly as the disgusting: "Never my fault" type, and she kept the mirror in hope Sunny would return. Plus Sunny's alpha bitch status in the first EG lean towards SHE was at fault there (or MOSTLY at best). And take note those are facts extracted from the movies, I don't like to touch the comics for their ambiguous canonicity