Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if ponies had human technology?

ArgentWarrior

Well, they aren't THAT far behind. They have automobiles, photography/cinema, a variety of electronic machines, and probably more. I even remember that there was a big stink over whether or not they had guns due to the word "bullet" appearing in the lyrics of a song.

• Brohoof 5

They seem to have SOME of our technology. To be honest, the only things I can think of that they don't have are computers, cars, and planes. I mean, we even got to see an arcade machine in Season 2.

But if they had these things, I mean, I don't think things would be THAT different. Although I can see Twilight maybe being a programmer, as you said.

Edited by NeonCobalt
  • Brohoof 1

Well, they aren't THAT far behind. They have automobiles, photography/cinema, a variety of electronic machines, and probably more. I even remember that there was a big stink over whether or not they had guns due to the word "bullet" appearing in the lyrics of a song.

Bullets can be fired from slings. 

How do you think the show would be different? Obviously Vinyl Scratch would be an EDM producer. But what about the others? Would Twilight be a programmer?

Technically, a sharp stick is technology. I don't know what is meant by "human" technology. Yes, they have all those things mentioned. I think the show is better at a lower level of technology, but the comics show televisions. 

• Brohoof 2

Technology does exist in Equestria so they do have some understanding of what humans have been using over the past fifty years or so, but would they be able to handle some of the more excessive aspects? Maybe, but it could end up corrupting them and transform Equestria into a mechanical wasteland.

They have the resources to build Manehatten.

As said before, they aren't really that far behind us. Perhaps the OP should be more specific by what they mean by "human technology."

Maybe, but it could end up corrupting them and transform Equestria into a mechanical wasteland.

Why? A ) As established they're pretty advanced as far as comparisons to human civilization go and they haven't been "corrupted". B ) One of the alternate timelines Twilight visited briefly showed the Flim Flam brothers in what looked like a tank version of their Super Speedy Cider etc. etc. so they don't need our help in that department of it potentially turning into a mechanical wasteland.

Why? A ) As established they're pretty advanced as far as comparisons to human civilization go and they haven't been "corrupted". B ) One of the alternate timelines Twilight visited briefly showed the Flim Flam brothers in what looked like a tank version of their Super Speedy Cider etc. etc. so they don't need our help in that department of it potentially turning into a mechanical wasteland.

In that particular timeline, imagine if the Flim-Flam brothers' machine had been even more advanced than what we saw. That would definitely have gotten the job done quickly but the ramifications would be the destruction would come more quickly. If ponies had access to the more dangerous forms of technology, Equestria would have some issues.

In that particular timeline, imagine if the Flim-Flam brothers' machine had been even more advanced than what we saw. That would definitely have gotten the job done quickly but the ramifications would be the destruction would come more quickly. If ponies had access to the more dangerous forms of technology, Equestria would have some issues.

Right but such comes with the development of any new technology and its not like magic doesn't have its own share of problems for there world. I'm just skeptical that catching up to where we are now technologically would leave Equestria as "a mechanical wasteland." Just because there's a pretty wide gap between "takes some getting used to" and that outcome.

Right but such comes with the development of any new technology and its not like magic doesn't have its own share of problems for there world. I'm just skeptical that catching up to where we are now technologically would leave Equestria as "a mechanical wasteland." Just because there's a pretty wide gap between "takes some getting used to" and that outcome.

Perhaps Celestia and Luna can help ease their subjects into using newer technology at a slow pace rather than try to cram it down their throats all at once? That would prevent any problems from occurring that have plagued our world over the years.

Perhaps Celestia and Luna can help ease their subjects into using newer technology at a slow pace rather than try to cram it down their throats all at once? That would prevent any problems from occurring that have plagued our world over the years.

That's not a bad idea as I trust Celestia and Luna but at the same time, wouldn't you trust the ponies to use technology responsibly? I mean it's like I said in my first post, they've already gotten near enough to what we have now in the first world. It's not like giving tanks to cavemen. (Which is an illustrative metaphor on two levels. They would want to use that technology irresponsibly, but how would they know how to crew such a technical instrument?) So if some pony invented the personal computer or even Twilight just brought a laptop back and reverse engineered it, it wouldn't be a radically advanced idea for them.

"Sooooo this thing'a ma'jinger's like a calculator?"

"Yes, except it can do even more math problems."

"Twilight taught me how to program it even. Watch." Spike put in a simple command. The screen read out. "SPIKE IS DRAGON LORD OF PONYVILLE."

So while I'm sure Celestia and Luna would keep things from getting out of hoof. I don't see why they would even need to bother since Equestria has advanced up to pretty much the modern age and there's nothing said about them suppressing technological development.

That's not a bad idea as I trust Celestia and Luna but at the same time, wouldn't you trust the ponies to use technology responsibly? I mean it's like I said in my first post, they've already gotten near enough to what we have now in the first world. It's not like giving tanks to cavemen. (Which is an illustrative metaphor on two levels. They would want to use that technology irresponsibly, but how would they know how to crew such a technical instrument?) So if some pony invented the personal computer or even Twilight just brought a laptop back and reverse engineered it, it wouldn't be a radically advanced idea for them.

"Sooooo this thing'a ma'jinger's like a calculator?"

"Yes, except it can do even more math problems."

"Twilight taught me how to program it even. Watch." Spike put in a simple command. The screen read out. "SPIKE IS DRAGON LORD OF PONYVILLE."

So while I'm sure Celestia and Luna would keep things from getting out of hoof. I don't see why they would even need to bother since Equestria has advanced up to pretty much the modern age and there's nothing said about them suppressing technological development.

You do make some very good points. Still, Celestia and Luna could have something put in place just in case something were to go wrong, but I agree that most ponies would be responsible when it came to using technology.

• Brohoof 1

If we're going to talk about computers, we'd need to figure out how a pony would interface with one to begin with. I mean... surely they all can't grow fingers out of their hooves.

Without digits, you're going to be limited to one button mice and voice to text interfaces. Still doable, but our idea of what a computer is won't fly, even with Twilight.

Technology and magical horses are a fun combo though, I think the main issue is the prevalence of magic. If you have it, how much do you really need technology? Unicorns can basically display their thoughts and memories in little floating rectangles, and can conceivably create enchanted objects (CPUs) capable of doing this as well, and force it to follow rules that they set for it (programs).

I'm guessing the only real tech you need is mechanical, unless you're a reality warper like Discord or Pinkie, then you don't really need anything.

Then again, if you're not those two, and also not a talented Unicorn, maybe you do need it, and maybe we should be seeing more tech in the series, because right now you've got Unicorns basically being able to do anything, Pegasi being relegated to weather concerns, sports, and flying, and Earth Ponies living a very simple life with no fingers, wings, or magical horns.

The poor creatures have to use their mouths to manipulate objects. This is really cute, but I can imagine it being tiresome after a while.

And you know what they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Edited by Regent