Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How are pegasi supposed to fight unicorns

heavens-champion

Idunno why they're fighting in the first place, but not every unicorn is Twilight or Starlight and just brimming with magical talent and power.  Maybe the unicorn in this scenario doesn't or can't use their magic for anything beyond everyday tasks; that doesn't necessarily translate to an advantage in a fight (that I still don't know why they're having).

• Brohoof 3

I'd imagine they'd take advantage of the sky, They'd go so high that a Unicorn won't be able to magically fling things at them and use their mastery of weather to launch ranged elemental attacks like lightning and hurricanes...

Well, powerful unicorns like Twilight and Starlight can just stop incoming pegasi with magic, but not every unicorn is that powerful.

Most unicorns can only levitate smaller objects, like swords or spears, and use those in combat. So that already makes things a lot more fair.

The thing is, it really depends.

If it's a one-on-one fight between a pegasus and a unicorn, the unicorn will probably win, I think.

The unicorn can just defend, and keep the pegasus away with whatever means necessary. If the pegasus can't approach, he/she can't do anything.

If it's in a battlefield scenario though, pegasi have a nice advantage: being fast and unpredictable. You can't defend yourself against an enemy who's rapidly approaching your back from the air.

So in conclusion, in a 1v1 the unicorn will probably win, and in a battlefield, the unicorns will probably still win, because there are bound to be some crazy powerful mages out there, just freezing all the enemies in place.

Get rainbow dash to drop a 10 ton harmony strike on there heads And its all over, Or you could get some of what ever stone the changeling throne was made out of and just trow that at there feet, After that brute force would be all that you need.

And now that I think about it, Why do you want to know?.

Edited by Raven Drakeaurd

Get rainbow dash to drop a 10 ton harmony strike on there heads And its all over, Or you could get some of what ever stone the changeling throne was made out of and just trow that at there feet, After that brute force would be all that you need.

And now that I think about it, Why do you want to know?.

Just imagining how exactly Rainbow Dash is supposed to fight King Sombra.

On 11/19/2016 at 10:21 AM, heavens-champion said:

Just imagining how exactly Rainbow Dash is supposed to fight King Sombra.

Even if she managed to catch him off-guard via Rainboom, he'd probably just reform via smoke or something.

He seems able to tank everything that isn't friendship/love magic, after all.

Edited by Anti-Villain

Um...it's mostly assumed that the average unicorn isn't completely dedicated to learning magic, and that their magic is entirely based off what talent they have beyond simply levitation. Even if they do, there's a limit to how much they can do it until they tire out. It's not like they have an infinite supply of magic in them.

Pegasi, however, can last much longer and their overall endurance in flight can last several hours. It's not clear what their anatomy is, but to be a pegasi they need to be significantly lighter than the other two races (with hollowed bones and proportionally sized wings). Earth ponies have even more endurance and strength, but unfortunately they can't fly. So it actually balances out for all three races. 

• Brohoof 1

It's not about the pony in the fight, it's about the fight in the pony.

All the races have pros and cons and I suspect all of them can put a hell of a fight if they have to. Magic is all fine and good, but it can be trumped by intelligence, determination and will.

• Brohoof 1

Remember Rainbow Dash sneaking up on ponies on a cloud during Nightmare Night and suddenly causing a lightning strike to scare them?

Think that. Only, they don't miss with the lightning.

They have other ways, too. Oh, look at that strategically positioned unicorn village down there. Wouldn't it be just awful if they suddenly got hit with ten feet of snow in the middle of July!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

Looking at it from the outsid eit seems like the Pegasi would be at a big dissadvantage, but on closer inspection the Pegasi do have a chance. I'm going to start by stating the fact that most Unicorns are not near as magically gifted as Twilight and Starlight. Pegasi have the advantage of having access to the sky when most Unicorns can't. The Pegasi could just fly around dropping bombs, using ranged weapons, and swooping down with melee weapons. Dodging unicorn spells would be pretty easy for the speedier Pegasi. And as we've seen, anti-magic rings do exist. The Pegasi could use them as a powerful way to disable the Unicorns magic. I haven't even mentioned the Pegasus ponies weather control abilities yet. Basically what I'm saying is that the Pegasi do have a good chance of winning.

On 11/19/2016 at 8:55 AM, Holiday Agnaktor said:

So in conclusion, in a 1v1 the unicorn will probably win, and in a battlefield, the unicorns will probably still win, because there are bound to be some crazy powerful mages out there, just freezing all the enemies in place.

Long-term seiging would be the best option for the Pegusi. Weather control means they not only can send nasty destructive storms. They can also dictate whether or not crops will grow. Unicorns would have to win the conflict quickly and decisively to keep from shooting themselves in the hoof over it. And then post-victory they'd need to be sure the Pegusi complied with their orders to prevent a mass-famine. A hard thing to do when you can't even walk on their home territory without relying on levitation.

• 10 months later...