Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to start liking Rarity

Tilgoreth

Rainbow Dash isn't y favorite character. I do like we though. I just said she was my favorite for arguments sake

Because she has more episodes than my favorite character. Which would be Spike or Starlight. Most in the fandom hate Spike and Starlight hasn't been in many episodes. Anyways Rarity has only been selfish for herself. At least with Tank Rainbow was doing it because she loved her pet. And Fluttershy had to eventually tell her to accept that Tank was going to hibernation. Rarity in sonic rainboom Rarity kept taking the spotlight and made Rainbow feel insecure and anxious. She was completely dismissive of her feelings. I forget what the episodes called but it's in whatever one Rarity sings her song about popularity. Rarity completely blows off her friends to go to Fancy Pants party. Granted Twilight and the rest where generous enough to come to Canterlot so they could celebrate Twilight' s birthday with Rarity. Rarity never got in trouble. She never apologized to her friends for wanting to blow them off. Oh yes she's so nice as long as she never has to pay for her mistakes.

How is literally sabotaging a factory, and screwing up an entire season because you can't accept your Pet not being around for a few months not selfish for yourself? Not only that but it does a hell of a lot more harm to others than anything Rarity's ever done. And you get mad at Rarity not being punished for some lies in Sweet and Elite, but nothing about Dash not being punished at all for again SABOTAGING A FACTORY AND SCREWING UP A SEASON, which hurts tons of ponies. This isn't even mentioning how utterly selfish and egotistical Rainbow is in episodes like Mare Do Well, Rainbow Falls and 28 Pranks later.

Again as I said before yes Rarity screws up in Sonic Rainboom, but you have to realize THE ENTIRE REASON SHE AND THE OTHER MANE 6 WERE THERE was that Rarity was the ONLY ONE who had the empathy to notice Rainbow was troubled, she voulenteered to have a spell that could of been dangerous tested on her entirely out of a selfless desire to cheer her friend on, she loses sight of that since like Rainbow one of her biggest flaws is her ego, and all the praise and attention gets to her head but that doesn't discount the empathy and desire to help her friend she showed earlier.

As for Sweet and Elite, Rarity is plagued with Doubt and guilt that entire episode, she made a choice to put her business needs over her friends and then felt bad about it in the end and risked it all for them, Fancy Pants bailed her out cause he's a bro. 

More than anything you seem to be holding stuff Rarity did like 5 seasons against her ago still.. which is kinda absurd, of course early seasons Rarity would be more flawed.

Anyway you seem to be holding Rarity's negative traits against her far more than any other character and discounting the many many times when she's been there for her friends and gone way out of the way for them or her sister (just to note remember in Ponyville Confidential remember the only Sister/Sister figure who actaully tries to TALK to their sister about why what they did was wrong.. was Rarity, AJ totally blew off Apple Bloom and Dash outright poured rain on Scootaloo)

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

How is literally sabotaging a factory, and screwing up an entire season because you can't accept your Pet not being around for a few months not selfish for yourself? Not only that but it does a hell of a lot more harm to others than anything Rarity's ever done. And you get mad at Rarity not being punished for some lies in Sweet and Elite, but nothing about Dash not being punished at all for again SABOTAGING A FACTORY AND SCREWING UP A SEASON, which hurts tons of ponies. This isn't even mentioning how utterly selfish and egotistical Rainbow is in episodes like Mare Do Well, Rainbow Falls and 28 Pranks later.

Again as I said before yes Rarity screws up in Sonic Rainboom, but you have to realize THE ENTIRE REASON SHE AND THE OTHER MANE 6 WERE THERE was that Rarity was the ONLY ONE who had the empathy to notice Rainbow was troubled, she voulenteered to have a spell that could of been dangerous tested on her entirely out of a selfless desire to cheer her friend on, she loses sight of that since like Rainbow one of her biggest flaws is her ego, and all the praise and attention gets to her head but that doesn't discount the empathy and desire to help her friend she showed earlier.

As for Sweet and Elite, Rarity is plagued with Doubt and guilt that entire episode, she made a choice to put her business needs over her friends and then felt bad about it in the end and risked it all for them, Fancy Pants bailed her out cause he's a bro. 

More than anything you seem to be holding stuff Rarity did like 5 seasons against her ago still.. which is kinda absurd, of course early seasons Rarity would be more flawed.

Anyway you seem to be holding Rarity's negative traits against her far more than any other character and discounting the many many times when she's been there for her friends and gone way out of the way for them or her sister (just to note remember in Ponyville Confidential remember the only Sister/Sister figure who actaully tries to TALK to their sister about why what they did was wrong.. was Rarity, AJ totally blew off Apple Bloom and Dash outright poured rain on Scootaloo)

I'm not really defending Rainbow Dash. As I said she isn't really my favorite character. I guess my problem is that both Spike and Starlight where much more instantly likable for me. It took me awhile to really like Rainbow Dash. And the same for the other characters. Rarity can just be so selfish event now. I hated her in Applejacks Day Off. She kept pestering her to go to the spa. When all Applejack was doing is the job she does to provide for her family. Rarity didn't want Applejack to take a day off out of consent. She wanted her to take a day off for cosmology selfish reasons.

I'm not really defending Rainbow Dash. As I said she isn't really my favorite character. I guess my problem is that both Spike and Starlight where much more instantly likable for me. It took me awhile to really like Rainbow Dash. And the same for the other characters. Rarity can just be so selfish event now. I hated her in Applejacks Day Off. She kept pestering her to go to the spa. When all Applejack was doing is the job she does to provide for her family. Rarity didn't want Applejack to take a day off out of consent. She wanted her to take a day off for cosmology selfish reasons.

Look imagine you plan a day off with your one of your best friends? Things repeatedly go wrong and screw that day up, wouldn't YOU get frustrated. Is it selfish to have a completely normal reaction to your plans basically falling apart? 

Rarity wanted to take Applejack on a Day off because she wanted to go to the Spa yes but she wanted to go to the Spa WITH APPLEJACK, she could go herself any time so that's not the issue. She wanted to do something with Applejack, one of her both friends that both of them could enjoy. How is there anything wrong with that?  Applejack WANTED to go the Spa too and hang out with Rarity just to note, but she wasn't the one who planned it so it wasn't quite as frustrating for her. 

And of course, once Rarity realizes that Applejack is doing all this ridiculous uncessary stuff... she and Twilight immidately take the time to help Applejack correct her bad habits. Like that's one of the weirdest episodes to hold against Rarity. Your basically bashing her for having a completely normal human reaction.

And before you bring up Cart Before the Ponies, literally everyone was selfish and written weirdly in that episode.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

Or attempt to prank the ENTIRE TOWN for some brief Laughs?

Y'know, that particular prank was actually one of the most harmless she pulled in that episode. 

Rainbow Falls

She seems more selfish because she lacks Rarity's constant doubt, but at its core that really isn't all that different a conflict from Rarity's in "Sweet and Elite." You're given the opportunity to live your dream... but can you accept it, when it would come at the expense of the people who matter to you?

God, I wish that episode was better. 

I forget what the episodes called but it's in whatever one Rarity sings her song about popularity. Rarity completely blows off her friends to go to Fancy Pants party. Granted Twilight and the rest where generous enough to come to Canterlot so they could celebrate Twilight' s birthday with Rarity. Rarity never got in trouble. She never apologized to her friends for wanting to blow them off. Oh yes she's so nice as long as she never has to pay for her mistakes.

I think she was a little bit selfish in that one as well, but she realized what she was doing wrong and made it right in the end. Like, compare that to, say, Starlight Glimmer, who in "Every Little Thing She Does" doesn't even consider mind controlling Twilight's friends to be a bad thing until Twilight expresses disapproval. Or "Luna Eclipsed," where Pinkie totally gets away with tormenting Luna. "Sweet and Elite" might not be Rarity's most sympathetic moment, but when it really mattered, she picked her friends without even needing to be led to that conclusion. 

I hated her in Applejacks Day Off. She kept pestering her to go to the spa. When all Applejack was doing is the job she does to provide for her family. Rarity didn't want Applejack to take a day off out of consent. She wanted her to take a day off for cosmology selfish reasons.

I'm pretty sure part of why she suggests Applejack go to the spa is because she thinks it'll be good for Applejack to take some time off and unwind, which doesn't seem all that selfish to me. And, y'know, I don't think wanting to spend a little time with your friend is particularly selfish; I swear she was at least somewhat understanding about how busy Applejack is.  

• Brohoof 1

I think she was a little bit selfish in that one as well, but she realized what she was doing wrong and made it right in the end. Like, compare that to, say, Starlight Glimmer, who in "Every Little Thing She Does" doesn't even consider mind controlling Twilight's friends to be a bad thing until Twilight expresses disapproval. Or "Luna Eclipsed," where Pinkie totally gets away with tormenting Luna. "Sweet and Elite" might not be Rarity's most sympathetic moment, but when it really mattered, she picked her friends without even needing to be led to that conclusion. 

I'm pretty sure part of why she suggests Applejack go to the spa is because she thinks it'll be good for Applejack to take some time off and unwind, which doesn't seem all that selfish to me. And, y'know, I don't think wanting to spend a little time with your friend is particularly selfish; I swear she was at least somewhat understanding about how busy Applejack is.  

Yeah that's something iv always really liked about Rarity... of all the ponies she's usually one of the LEAST likely to need the lesson slapped into her and to realize it herself... and she's also one of the ones who most clearly feels bad when she does something that is wrong. 

As for the other one yeah, seriously How the hell is it remotely selfish to want to spend time with your one of your best friends? How is is selfish to get frustrated when things constantly get in the way of the day out you had planned for said hanging out with friend?  And Rarity is almost a hard a worker as Applejack, she definitely understands why it's important that AJ take some time to take a break and relax for a bit. And it's not like Rarity does ANYTHING to stop Applejack when she's going on with repair work in the Spa other than some frustrated sighs. She never really tries to stop her, she's just annoyed her planned day with her friend is kinda busted.... which most anyone would be. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

Look imagine you plan a day off with your one of your best friends? Things repeatedly go wrong and screw that day up, wouldn't YOU get frustrated. Is it selfish to have a completely normal reaction to your plans basically falling apart? 

Rarity wanted to take Applejack on a Day off because she wanted to go to the Spa yes but she wanted to go to the Spa WITH APPLEJACK, she could go herself any time so that's not the issue. She wanted to do something with Applejack, one of her both friends that both of them could enjoy. How is there anything wrong with that?  Applejack WANTED to go the Spa too and hang out with Rarity just to note, but she wasn't the one who planned it so it wasn't quite as frustrating for her. 

And of course, once Rarity realizes that Applejack is doing all this ridiculous uncessary stuff... she and Twilight immidately take the time to help Applejack correct her bad habits. Like that's one of the weirdest episodes to hold against Rarity. Your basically bashing her for having a completely normal human reaction.

And before you bring up Cart Before the Ponies, literally everyone was selfish and written weirdly in that episode.

Well you seem to hate me. Simply because I don't like Rarity.Listen I'm agree that would be a normal reaction. The problem though is that the way wrote it it seems like Rarity is asking Applejack to stop doing we job just to go to the spa. Also don't hate Rarity or Applejack. Rarity mostly is uninteresting to me. The only aspects of her that I find intriguing are the ones relating to her artistry. Which they rarely explore. And Applejack is the type of character who can be brutally honest. But only does so to help her friends. Also even if Rarity is generous has also been shown to be very selfish at times. Also in the cart before ponies Rainbow Dash the only one acting with any normalcy. The others just seemed to dismiss there sisters ideas. Especially Applejack who even got mad at Apple Bloom. Scootaloo wasn't very clear with what she wanted. So Rainbow assumed she wanted the fastest cart. Oh god please don't bash me. I'm just trying to have a peaceful argument.

I liked her because she was cute funny (combination of being funny and cute). Her outgoing and sassy personality is quite endearing.

I guess I can see that.nope

Y'know, that particular prank was actually one of the most harmless she pulled in that episode. 

She seems more selfish because she lacks Rarity's constant doubt, but at its core that really isn't all that different a conflict from Rarity's in "Sweet and Elite." You're given the opportunity to live your dream... but can you accept it, when it would come at the expense of the people who matter to you?

God, I wish that episode was better. 

Its just that Applejack is doing the job to provide her family. Rarity felt mostly dismissive of this.

Yeah that's something iv always really liked about Rarity... of all the ponies she's usually one of the LEAST likely to need the lesson slapped into her and to realize it herself... and she's also one of the ones who most clearly feels bad when she does something that is wrong. 

As for the other one yeah, seriously How the hell is it remotely selfish to want to spend time with your one of your best friends? How is is selfish to get frustrated when things constantly get in the way of the day out you had planned for said hanging out with friend?  And Rarity is almost a hard a worker as Applejack, she definitely understands why it's important that AJ take some time to take a break and relax for a bit. And it's not like Rarity does ANYTHING to stop Applejack when she's going on with repair work in the Spa other than some frustrated sighs. She never really tries to stop her, she's just annoyed her planned day with her friend is kinda busted.... which most anyone would be.

I never said Rarity want a hard worker. I think they have a lot in common. They both love there job. Have high standards and integrity because won't relate a faulty product. They Also be very stubborn but caring when 're friends need help. The problem is that the writers don't know how to use the dynamic properly. Mostly it's boring or annoying.

Rainbow dash is brash , so sometimes she doesnt really think before saying.

Rarity is trying to be a proper lady , so she has a hard time taking care of ponies feelings.

Yeah I can see that.mlp fun

I'm not much of a Rarity fan either. I mean, she spoke the most words in Season 6 (even without any dialogue for 5 episodes in a row), and even yet, had more dialogue than both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in the last two seasons.

Personally, I just wish she will have much less speaking roles throughout Season 7.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not much of a Rarity fan either. I mean, she spoke the most words in Season 6 (even without any dialogue for 5 episodes in a row), and even yet, had more dialogue than both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in the last two seasons.

Personally, I just wish she will have much less speaking roles throughout Season 7.

I didn't even notice that to be honest.

I'd like to point out something about Rarity's more selfish moments. A lot of her most selfish behavior only comes off that way because of one reason: she naively assumes that everypony likes things exactly the same way that she does. She superimposes her own likes and dislikes over those of others (this is common with the entirety of the Mane 6, mind you... think of the episode where they all try to teach Rainbow Dash in the way that they themselves learn things best).

Rarity's heart almost always seems to be in the right place at the start. Yes, there are things she wants (Generosity does not mean Doormat or spendthrift, after all... seems to me like sometimes ponies want Rarity to give herself into destitution to match some super selfless impossible to sustain level of generosity), and she will ask for them... sometimes charming her way into getting those things (an example would be the fire ruby Spike had been saving up for his birthday in The Secret to My Excess), but she does take measures to appreciate it. Her taste for rare gems also may seem greedy, but think about it. She incorporates these stones into the designs of her dresses, which she sells and sometimes gives to other ponies. 

However, there is one thing the show hasn't answered quite to my satisfaction in terms of Rarity's shop. Is she affordable on a budget or does she only cater to the wealthy clientele? I'd like to think she'd be willing to make a beautiful, stunning work of art for anypony with a few bits to spare as much as she would for someone with a deeper bank account balance than the Abysmal Abyss.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to point out something about Rarity's more selfish moments. A lot of her most selfish behavior only comes off that way because of one reason: she naively assumes that everypony likes things exactly the same way that she does. She superimposes her own likes and dislikes over those of others (this is common with the entirety of the Mane 6, mind you... think of the episode where they all try to teach Rainbow Dash in the way that they themselves learn things best).

Rarity's heart almost always seems to be in the right place at the start. Yes, there are things she wants (Generosity does not mean Doormat or spendthrift, after all... seems to me like sometimes ponies want Rarity to give herself into destitution to match some super selfless impossible to sustain level of generosity), and she will ask for them... sometimes charming her way into getting those things (an example would be the fire ruby Spike had been saving up for his birthday in The Secret to My Excess), but she does take measures to appreciate it. Her taste for rare gems also may seem greedy, but think about it. She incorporates these stones into the designs of her dresses, which she sells and sometimes gives to other ponies. 

However, there is one thing the show hasn't answered quite to my satisfaction in terms of Rarity's shop. Is she affordable on a budget or does she only cater to the wealthy clientele? I'd like to think she'd be willing to make a beautiful, stunning work of art for anypony with a few bits to spare as much as she would for someone with a deeper bank account balance than the Abysmal Abyss.

Well she owns three boutiques. I'm pretty sure Rarity is very well off. Maybe not as rich as someone like Rara. But she still does make a lot of money.

What is this?!! I'm sorry, but I think we're in more need of a "How to like Applejack" thread!! She so under appreciated! There are more votes for Rarity than best pony, blah.

Applejack does seem to be pretty underappreciated. Though I think that's mostly the fault of the writers. Awhile back I was reading an article(I don't remember what it was called)that said little girls would want to be the designer, the veterinarian, the genius, the sports chic, the party girl, but not the hard working farmer. Sadly that's true. Also before I'm called a hypocrite no I don't want to be a farmer. But I do appreciate hard work and it goes a long way. Granted Applejack' s work is physical labor. Something not appealing to a lot of people. That being said even if the writers couldn't make Applejack' s farming relatable to little girls there are other aspects of her persoanlity they could explore. One of her best episodes was The Mane Attraction. The entire point was be true to yourself no matter what. Applejack was honest, kind and determined to help her old friend. Unfortunately most Applejack episodes are boring.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the episode that shows her in the best light is S4 For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils. The 1st 3 seasons Rarity has some pretty funny scenes but they mostly don't show her in a very positive light (there are exceptions like the end of Sister Hooves Social or The Secret of My Excess)

One odd thing.  Surveys show Rarity is next to last in popularity but her fan club has about as many posts as all the other fan clubs combined.  Try asking their help.

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

IMO, the episode that shows her in the best light is S4 For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils. The 1st 3 seasons Rarity has some pretty funny scenes but they mostly don't show her in a very positive light (there are exceptions like the end of Sister Hooves Social or The Secret of My Excess)

One odd thing.  Surveys show Rarity is next to last in popularity but her fan club has about as many posts as all the other fan clubs combined.  Try asking their help.

I think I have started to appreciate her more. It Defintley helps having her positives outlined.

Oh Rarity, you beautiful, unappreciated, shining diamond.

Don't worry dear, I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haters be hating cus they can't take her swag.

You can't take her heat?? Well boy, GET THAT WEAK SHIT OUT OF HER KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19e159f58fbec4f1d7f221028fd03192.jpg

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 3

Oh Rarity, you beautiful, unappreciated, shining diamond.

Don't worry dear, I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haters be hating cus they can't take her swag.

You can't take her heat?? Well boy, GET THAT WEAK SHIT OUT OF HER KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig-4791782.19e159f58fbec4f1d7f221028fd0

Well I have started to soften on Rarity. But their still e t done I can't get over.

• 1 month later...

I think to be able to like rarity you have to see past her initial premise and see the reason behind her actions. To do that you need to clear yourself from some Base assumptions that may come to your mind with the Base archetype she was created from. When you are able to do that it is possible for you to start seeing her true strong points and the reality of how deep and important her character really is considering the show and the audience of young girls. I think rarity is one of the finest examples of why this show is so beautiful and amazing