Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come fans defend Applejack more in Bats! than Rarity in Rarity Takes Mane...

Scootadress

However my main issue with this episode was how blunt her generosity was portrayed, especially in that song, it was very annoying actually.

The song wasn't subtle at all. But you have the people that consistently says she's NEVER generous to thank for it.

"Okay, you guys don't like the SUBTLE bits of generosity? Let's have whole musical number about it then!!"

And you know what? It seemed to WORK for some people!!

I've heard well known Rarity haters go, "Hey, I totally believed she was generous in this episode!!"

Some people just need to be slapped in the face with something before the see it, I guess.

Not just that but the bats are jerks to flutter shy and she's still bending over back words to defend them.

Well she DOES live with Angel Bunny... She's probably used to animal hissy-fits.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

im not saying this because I'm a huge Applejack fan, but maybe it's because...

1. Applejack was "mean" to just fluttershy, and so was all her friends, they just took AJs side because her apples were in great danger, and they felt they had to take immediate action. (even though fluttershy was right all along)

2. Rarity was mean to ALL her friends, so it was kind of opposite of Applejack's situation, even though Rarity was in quite a situation here, friends should come first, not the dress

This isn't my answer because I love applejack, just my thought on why this is so

Strange but situation with Applejack in "Bats" reminds me situation with Shane from "The Walking Dead"

When Rick's group realised that Hershel keeps walkers in the barn, Shane deside to clean the barn from walkers. He wanted to protect everybody, but almost all group blamed him for this

Same situation with AJ, she just wanted to protect her farm, we can blame her for this, because she was right in her way.

• Brohoof 1

The song wasn't subtle at all. But you have the people that consistently says she's NEVER generous to thank for it. "Okay, you guys don't like the SUBTLE bits of generosity? Let's have whole musical number about it then!!"   And you know what? It seemed to WORK for some people!! I've heard well known Rarity haters go, "Hey, I totally believed she was generous in this episode!!" Some people just need to be slapped in the face with something before the see it, I guess.

tell me about it >_> 

In my opinion, Rarity didn't need this to show that she's generous, I've seen her being super generous since season 1. Tell me if it's okay to brush on people faces how generous you are, that's not okay!

I agree some people need to literally see this side of Rarity to know that she's a generous pony, but to me it was just uugh! 

The song wasn't subtle at all. But you have the people that consistently says she's NEVER generous to thank for it.

"Okay, you guys don't like the SUBTLE bits of generosity? Let's have whole musical number about it then!!"

And you know what? It seemed to WORK for some people!!

I've heard well known Rarity haters go, "Hey, I totally believed she was generous in this episode!!"

Some people just need to be slapped in the face with something before the see it, I guess.

Well she DOES live with Angel Bunny... She's probably used to animal hissy-fits.

Okay,

but to be fair and the episode and the show in general supports my next suggestion,

the other 5 understand flutter shy is a doormat.

Look at how they reacted to her saying "do you think i'm a gullible fool" when dealing with discord?

They kinda mumbled and trailed off.

When it came down to flutter shy's stance vs apple jacks,

they had the choice between meek flutter shy or

strong reliable apple jack.

Now again, this really makes me sound like a Apple jack fan boy.

I'm not i swear.  On her best day she's 5th best pony and that's generally after someone else has screwed up really bad.

which mind you has happened alot this season.  (still a good season).

Flutter shy's patients does not inspire confidence by even her friends.

• Brohoof 1

The issue is relative, not absolute. Yes, Rarity gets a lot of hate, but relatively speaking, she gets a lot less now than she did in the past. In fact, I'd say she's getting a lot more love, as well.

Even EQD, for all their love of drama and character bashing, chose Rarity as the best of Season 4, as of January 12, 2014:

1.PNG

Contrast this with Season 2 from the same site:

Capture.JPG

That's a rather massive change in favor of Rarity.

Again, though, that's not to say that there aren't haters, but generally speaking, Rarity is getting a lot of appreciation this season. As for why AJ got more support, it's because she was being far more rational than Fluttershy was. Her decision was simply better, and many fans (including myself) agreed with her point of view. On the other hand, I think most can agree that Rarity wasn't exactly doing the right thing in RTM.

Just my two cents. :)

One question: what love of character bashing? Is that common on EQD? I always just thought it was a news site.

And unfortunately, Fluttershy will have undoubtedly overtaken Rarity after Filli Vanilli.

Since, ya know, Fluttershy being in second place already and people diligently ignoring Rarity's contributions in that episode.

im not saying this because I'm a huge Applejack fan, but maybe it's because...

1. Applejack was "mean" to just fluttershy, and so was all her friends, they just took AJs side because her apples were in great danger, and they felt they had to take immediate action. (even though fluttershy was right all along)

2. Rarity was mean to ALL her friends, so it was kind of opposite of Applejack's situation, even though Rarity was in quite a situation here, friends should come first, not the dress

This isn't my answer because I love applejack, just my thought on why this is so

Well, to correct, in the song, she was awfully mean to her friends. If you take the song for actual meaning (like in RTM after what RD says) then you can see the point. Applejack was constantly in their faces. She circled Fluttershy, put her face into Spike ("No. They don't. And that is just a fact.". Around this line she pushes him down), she got into Rarity and Pinkie's faces as well. The only difference was that Rarity was making them act like factory workers and Applejack didn't need to. 

She was really pushy, that's how she got her friends to act the way they had as well.  Songs can be taken as part of the show. If you take the song from Bats! and look at it, it makes you feel really scared. At least, it made me. I mean-if Fluttershy's seeing her friends circling around her like that to the point where she's cowering on the ground, then there's some basis for concern. Applejack didn't need to take it to that level to show her point. She just did so. Its been shown there are OTHER animal experts besides Fluttershy in the show, they knew she wasn't comfortable with doing what they had made her do and they made a plan before she even had a voice on the matter. 

Rarity had made them do her dresses that would, ultimately, put food on her plate. Realistically speaking, its a lot more money to constantly go out her way to buy fabric. Fabric that would ultimately not stand out as much as she needs to to because of status quo. Ponies don't wear clothing often, so you can imagine how much she actually earns. Not only that, but she has competition that's competing with the already little market clothing has. This is her livelyhood. How can she afford to eat or do anything she loves if her fashion and fabric, the created one that probably costs a fortune to actually create herself and lots of time, are stolen and her line meaningless? Not only this, but even with gems as payment, you have to actually fetch the gems. Remember a Dog and Pony show? It can seriously..be scary in essence. How many dangers ACTUALLY can come from the practice of Gemhunting? 

How available are gems to other ponies? Its not only dresses, just think outside the box. Its a ton of other factors like status quo, bits, and the like. Besides, in Suited for Success they successfully made a dress without complaint. In fact, Fluttershy's talent was overlooked at some point.

• Brohoof 1

Because Applejack would lose her farm and her life and everything if the bats ate her entire apple farm, which they would.

Rarity would just lose some track ground, not her life.

Real reason: I think there was so little anyone could criticize Rarity for in that ep so they have to get creative.

Not the real reason at all, and claiming it as such is extremely blind. Like many others here, I'll explain why, too.

In Bats!, Applejack had a very good reason for being pushy. The Vampire Fruit Bats are parasites who desire nothing other than destroy crops. If Granny Smith's story was truthful, then they can unleash a hell of a lot of damage. Without apples, then the food supply for Ponyville drastically drops, and they can damage plenty of crops in a big hurry. In AJ's point of view, it's urgent and imperative to stop the bats before the food supply runs dry early. The major drawback is that AJ's logical perspective was seen as negative when it shouldn't be, and Fluttershy's solution was implausible both in real life and canonically. AJ was villified despite having a great reason for reacting this way.

This is completely different in Rarity Takes Manehattan. After Rarity was plagiarized, she thought her being generous no longer had any meaning. The problem was how she went about the wrong way. In the episode, she forced her friends to work on a new line without much food, water, and sleep. Her desire to winning the fashion contest over having fun with her friends was seen as a bad thing, which it is. Rarity realized how poor she behaved and felt very guilty.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Well, to correct, in the song, she was awfully mean to her friends. If you take the song for actual meaning (like in RTM after what RD says) then you can see the point. Applejack was constantly in their faces. She circled Fluttershy, put her face into Spike ("No. They don't. And that is just a fact.". Around this line she pushes him down), she got into Rarity and Pinkie's faces as well. The only difference was that Rarity was making them act like factory workers and Applejack didn't need to. 

She was really pushy, that's how she got her friends to act the way they had as well.  Songs can be taken as part of the show. If you take the song from Bats! and look at it, it makes you feel really scared. At least, it made me. I mean-if Fluttershy's seeing her friends circling around her like that to the point where she's cowering on the ground, then there's some basis for concern. Applejack didn't need to take it to that level to show her point. She just did so. Its been shown there are OTHER animal experts besides Fluttershy in the show, they knew she wasn't comfortable with doing what they had made her do and they made a plan before she even had a voice on the matter. 

Rarity had made them do her dresses that would, ultimately, put food on her plate. Realistically speaking, its a lot more money to constantly go out her way to buy fabric. Fabric that would ultimately not stand out as much as she needs to to because of status quo. Ponies don't wear clothing often, so you can imagine how much she actually earns. Not only that, but she has competition that's competing with the already little market clothing has. This is her livelyhood. How can she afford to eat or do anything she loves if her fashion and fabric, the created one that probably costs a fortune to actually create herself and lots of time, are stolen and her line meaningless? Not only this, but even with gems as payment, you have to actually fetch the gems. Remember a Dog and Pony show? It can seriously..be scary in essence. How many dangers ACTUALLY can come from the practice of Gemhunting? 

How available are gems to other ponies? Its not only dresses, just think outside the box. Its a ton of other factors like status quo, bits, and the like. Besides, in Suited for Success they successfully made a dress without complaint. In fact, Fluttershy's talent was overlooked at some point.

yeah, although I do understand your realistic point of this, which totally makes sense, the show isn't necessarily realistic anyway... I haven't seen the "Bats!" episode for a little while now, but looking back on it, AJ did kinda do the unnecessary act of getting in all of their faces... Also, Rarity seems to be doing perfectly fine without a giant heap of bits (figuratively speaking), she has probably made deals in the pasts with Fancy Pants and Hoity Toity and other ponies from episodes that I can't think of off the top of my head.... In AJ's defense, the whole orchard was in danger and she might've not had any apples to sell for HER to make money, even though she should have at least tried Fluttershy's idea... Now, in Rarity's defense, this was going to be a HUGE step in her line of business, and who knows what she would/could do with the bits received if she won that thing (can't think of what it's called either, brain fart), but, she shouldn't have mistreated her friends like that, even though the negative atmosphere of Manehatten did get to her head.

(Also im a bit tired when i'm typing this so please excuse any wrong info, misspellings, or horrible grammar.)

Not the real reason at all, and claiming it as such is extremely blind. Like many others here, I'll explain why, too.

In Bats!, Applejack had a very good reason for being pushy. The Vampire Fruit Bats are parasites who desire nothing other than destroy crops. If Granny Smith's story was truthful, then they can unleash a hell of a lot of damage. Without apples, then the food supply for Ponyville drastically drops, and they can damage plenty of crops in a big hurry. In AJ's point of view, it's urgent and imperative to stop the bats before the food supply runs dry early. The major drawback is that AJ's logical perspective was seen as negative when it shouldn't be, and Fluttershy's solution was implausible both in real life and canonically. AJ was villified despite having a great reason for reacting this way.

This is completely different in Rarity Takes Manehattan. After Rarity was plagiarized, she thought her being generous no longer had any meaning. The problem was how she went about the wrong way. In the episode, she forced her friends to work on a new line without much food, water, and sleep. Her desire to winning the fashion contest over having fun with her friends was seen as a bad thing, which it is. Rarity realized how poor she behaved and felt very guilty.

Well you proved my point. Rarity may have acted worse but did a ton to make up for it.

Wanna try again?

I have no fucking clue. Our fans seem to be semi-ignorant sometimes.

People over value you brony wisdom.

I'm not saying it can't be epic,

i'm saying people think one guy acting like yoda spreads to everyone listening.

For every tommy oliver their 20 or more mysterious mr enters. 

whiners who feel their interpretation is. the one objective truth.

Back on topic why do the rarity fans that make these threads,

yes those very specific rarity fans,

feel the need to defend rarity vs a Mongolian horde wether ones coming or not.

After episode 14 I've bestowed the coveted title on rarity "best pony!"

as far as I'm concerned, and next week she will be the raining, defending champion.

Maybe some other pony will be amazing next week.

There are a ton of people who put flutter shy at sixth best pony.

Tommy Oliver for example.  I don't hate tommy for doing this.  He has valid points with the writing staff and why he puts her dead last.

I honestly felt rarity grew the most in how she handeled flutter shy in the last episode.

She encouraged flutter shy wwith out shoving. 

So not only was she best pony,

she was best friend.

you know... the title of the show.

.....So their bad points because you agree with me?

Que?  (means what).  I can even let rarity off the hook but saying the writing staff and the show simply didn't show why winning in the great scheme of things was important.

0 character hate.  Still with me?  The writing staff does not properly show what Rarity has at steak,

so the fans who are willing to act like it's a big deal are the ones who can be fine with "Rarity being upset or happy is the conflict."

How is it a bad point that i'm suggesting that more fans will value family over well, Rarity as driving motives?

And your telling me "rarity comes to the conclusion her friends are more important."

which by the way she does last, but that has nothing to do with here or there,

I've gone so far as to recently state rarity to me, right now, as it stands is my favorite at this moment.

But even if Rarity's driving force is her friends (which she generally remembers last)

family does tend to trump friends.

I'm not saying I like AJ more.  I don't.  I have 0 use for honesty myself ^^.

I'm simply explaining to you why some fans value aj more.

I understand that.

It's not hard.

You shouldn't take it personal.

That's the point. Rarity saw that winning didn't matter and that she was mirroring Suri.

That was my disagreement.

Edited by Whatevs

I'd have to say, that I never noticed this problem.

I know that AJ was proving their point to Fluttershy, even though they were circling her like a pack of wolves to show why AJ had to defend her home and her apples.

I'll defend Rarity though, since she knew she was in the wrong and finally came to her senses with learning that she made her mistakes. She didn't care whether she won or not, as long as her friends were still with her.

I'll defend both of them, since their professions are what can help them achieve their goals in life.

I have to agree to this, Scootalove make a solid point!

Rarity did make some large mistakes and she did confess to them!

-Good thinking Scootalove!

~Camsterman101

That's the point. Rarity saw that winning didn't matter and that she was mirroring Suri.

That was my disagreement.

Well if your forcing me to judge it on that merit, your not going to like my response?

When rainbow dash was faced with lightening dust she didn't stoop to dusts level, she did what she knew to be right instinctively.

And rainbow had joining the wonder bolts on the line.

She was there, at a very clean and cut location.

IF faced with the wonder bolts again in the future we know (like in rainbow falls) she's gonna make the right choice right off the bat.

Okay she tried to play neutral,

as apposed to whaling on about "isn't friend ship magical!" and storming off in a huff.

Yes she came to her sense,

and I've done that myself,

but here's the thing,

I'm an awful person.

But she had all the right to act that way in her episode. Its natural considering the circumstances. Then again, it wasn't like they actually showed up at the contest for their friend anyway..even though that was their main objective for going. Even though she did wrong, she should have had ponies by her side. if AJ, who was as pushy and in her face, still Had her friends, why didn't she?

I see her as more of a factory owner. She was yelling, understandably so.

AJ was doing the same, but more like a preaching it. I was shocked that AJ didn't defend her because its Rarity's job.

I wouldn't consider AJ to be aggressively assertive. She certainly wasn't aggressive towards spike in "Spike at your service".

The difference in "Bats!" is that a lot more ponies than just AJ rely on the apple farm to supply food and cider as a prominent food source of Ponyville. AJ is responsible enough to know that the needs of the many ponies outweighs the needs of the many bats. 

Rarity in "Simple Ways" was pretty much acting entirely out of Envy, Lust, Greed and a bunch of other vices. There's really no comparison. 

• Brohoof 1

Rarity in "Simple Ways" was pretty much acting entirely out of Envy, Lust, Greed and a bunch of other vices. There's really no comparison. 

But this topic isn't about "Simple Ways", it's about "Rarity Takes Manehatten."

But she had all the right to act that way in her episode. Its natural considering the circumstances. Then again, it wasn't like they actually showed up at the contest for their friend anyway..even though that was their main objective for going. Even though she did wrong, she should have had ponies by her side. if AJ, who was as pushy and in her face, still Had her friends, why didn't she?

But she did have ponies by her side. They were still there, making the dresses, and the only reason they didn't show up to the fashion show was that they overslept. Edited by hawkflame

But this topic isn't about "Simple Ways", it's about "Rarity Takes Manehatten."

Ooops  :blink: I think I should go to sleep haha.

Still, Rarity did kind of overlook dinner for the others while they helped make dresses for her, which they themselves offered to do. I draw the line at slight starvation haha.

• Brohoof 1

A post I made on the subject of Bats

Actually, though I may well be the minority, I feel that more then enough reason was given for Applejack to convince the others the bats were serious enough a threat to take out quickly when Fluttershy wasn't giving enough proof for her side. Consider what was being shown, the bats were destroying Applejack's crops and from past experience it was clearly shown the results had been devastating to the Apple family. Though Fluttershy did mention numerous times during the song the whole seeds making more trees consider how long such trees would taking to grown and the fact how quickly the bats were eating the apples. Sure the bats may offer for long term benefits (at least a couple of years) in the short term (under a couple of years) Applejack and her family would greatly suffer for the loss of crops. Yes one can argue Fluttershy's friends were 'bullying'/pressuring her into doing what they asked but given the risks the bats were posing I do not believe it was unreasonable. Unfair yes but not unreasonable, and they did pay for their actions (Applejack especially) as by the end of the episode they eventually built the sanctuary but with arguably still tremendous loss to that year's crops. While it would mean better crops in the future there would be at least one year of pain and suffering because of the bats.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Because majority of fans seek a way to criticize Rarity, even if its a tiny action, because they don't like her. We've already discussed at length why Rarity gets held to a way way higher standard for her EoH - Generosity than the other Mane Six. If Rarity can be criticized for something, bronies will jump on it and run with it.

It's okay, when Rarity is officially declared best pony and the bashers want to come join the bandwagon, I'll look down at them and say "No."

Rarity is my second favorite after Twilight Sparkle so, at least for me, her actions in Rarity Takes Manehattan is a non-issue. Any who at this point try to be overly critical of Rarity are grasping at straws in their vain wish to bring her down.

I will say Applejack losing the apples is more damaging then Rarity failing in Manehattan, as she already has celebrities buying her clothes and ponies in Canterlot that positively know of her.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

I have to agree to this, Scootalove make a solid point!

Rarity did make some large mistakes and she did confess to them!

-Good thinking Scootalove!

~Camsterman101

Thank you! :) It's better to learn and confess your mistakes than to make more of them.