gaming If you could get rid of one thing in the gaming industry, what would it be?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I don't know why so many people say DLC. Yeah, i can understand it's bad reputation from developers who put them out on day one. But DLC can be really good for a games freshness. Take a look at the Paradox Strategy games, especially Crusader Kings 2 and especially Europa Universalis IV, which both came out in 2012 and 2013 respectively. Paradox releases new DLC for these games almost every 6 months, adding new layers of depth into these games, still making them some of the most played games on Steam. I don't know if that would be the case without the DLC.

That's why i would be cautious to just flatout say DLC, just because companies like EA do it poorly.

When it comes to me, i would say to get rid of most Walking simulator games. You know, those games where you just walk around, click on stuff and experience something that is barely a game? The only walking simulator that really did it right, was the stanley parable. A bad example, would be Gone Home.

• Brohoof 2

I don't play online

While I don't play online as much as I used to, at least I don't have to pay for the privilege to.  ;)

I don't buy non physical media

On consoles these days, the install size of a game is the same if it's physical or digital, so it really doesn't matter anymore. When I installed GTA V from the fucking disc on my PS4, it was 50 fucking gigs and took several hours. :dry:  When I later re-bought from Steam, it was close to 60 gigs, but at the time of purchase it had a 1 year+ more content.

and I don't buy DLC

Not all of it is bad. While a lot is a BS cashgrab, the rest of it is actually nice.

When I heard the Xbox 3 had to be online to play, I canceled my preorder. But I bought one when they got rid of that requirement.

You still pre-ordered a console that hasn't been in hands of the press or consumers. But you still bought one, so in the end, Microsoft still got your money anyway.

I would get rid of DLC, download-only games, pre order bonuses, and limited editions and releases.

I've already said something about DLC.

Games that are download-only don't have to be printed it on a disc and then shipped to retailers. Although, you would have to pay to have it listed on an online store, no matter what platform.

Pre-orders are bad, limited editions are pointless since you get the same content anyway, and while I'm not sure what you mean by "releases", but if you mean a version of the game where you get a whole bunch of DLC included at no extra price, (a GOTY version for example) I have no issue with since it doesn't cost you anything extra.

Although to be honest, I did purchase the season pass for all the Porsche DLC for Assetto Corsa, bought into the beta for Project CARS 2, and have the season pass for Automobilista, which in my case allows for beta access for upcoming content. So I'm not exactly "clean" when it comes to season passes or any kind of Early-Access.

They should make as many copies as needed to keep the resell value down and cut back on scalpers.

Why? Digital versions can't "run out" (Looking at you Ubisoft), and if more and more games are being bought digitally, then whats the point of having a physical copy?

Edited by Vulon Bii

DRM. It's the one time where I think: I don't care about no dang rules, because these ones are so stupid and reasonless. Heck, they are even COUNTER-INTUITIVE.

My word, WHAT IS YOUR FREAKING PROBLEM WITH SOMEBODY PROMOTING YOUR PRODUCT NINTENDO? REALLY? WHAT IS IT? I'M SORRY IF YOU CONSIDER ME DOWNLOADING THE MUSIC OF DK64 PIRACY BECAUSE IT HAS NO VICTIM WHATSOEVER. NONE. NOBODY IS HARMED. WHY IS IT A CRIME?

It makes me so enraged. Just please, greed. STOP INFLUENCING EVERYTHING.

• Brohoof 4

Not so much the gaming industry itself, but games journalism, but still: Artificially inflated review scores, otherwise known as the four-point-system, where the scale is nominally 1-10 but only 6 and up are ever given where 6 is shit, 7 is okay, 8and 9 are good and 10 is perfect. If you're using a 1-10 scale hand out some failing grades every now and then. I don't care what the game publishers think about it. If a game sucks people should be allowed to say it outright.

• Brohoof 1

The one thing that I would get rid of would be those horrible gamertags that are used in all the FPS games, especially CoD. Nobody wants to play with someone whose name has more digits than a phone number.

• Brohoof 2

There's a lot of things I have a gripe over but the most tip of the top things I want to get rid of would be; bad patents.

Some of which expired like Namco's loading screen mini games. But it was still bad. Here is some others that confuse me to no end. :blink:

Actually some DLC is pretty decent tho. Dishonored has decent DLC.

I dislike ghey online achievements. I dislike playing online becuse I'm an extremely antisocial person, I practically hate most people I know. One of the things I liked the most about Nitroplus Blasterz was the complete lack of online achievements.

Untested games!

FFS why cant devs just release a fully tested perfect working game?! never had this problem with cartridges. Everything these days needs a patch as soon as its released! So bloody frustrating.

I cannot play AC Unity on my PC anymore because the last patch they did for it broke the game and now its too old of a game for them to pay any more attention to and there will never be a patch to fix the last bug they left it with ARGH screw you Unbisoft! I have to wait until we save enough to get a PS4 so I can finish the game on there instead. There is a gap in my Assassin history! fffffff. 

Collectors Editions. It seems once this got started most games now have collectors editions that have bonus stuff I usually don't care about, like steel game cases. I definitely felt ripped off after I took a chance and bought the Dragon Age Inquisition Collectors Edition. The items were poorly made and shuffled around in the box and not worth the extra money I paid for.

I prefer to receive a special collectable just for pre-ordering something. I'd love to have a new shelf someday so I could display all my items.

Edited by Sgamer

Since most people have already mentioned DLC, I will say something else. I would have to say third party exclusives. Case in point, Street Fighter 5. I know Sony helped fund the game, but it sucks when a series that has always been multi-platform becomes an exclusive.

Get rid of the concept of buying games. Make them all free. 

I hope you're joking because I'd rather this not be a thing. Should films be free? Should music be free? Why shouldn't the people who are making these games get some semblance of payment? (even if it is just a flat rate) Nobody would make games for free just for the sake of being free, these people have families to feed, bills to pay and luxuries to enjoy.

Anyway, micros in *non* Free to Play games, already shoveled out fourty quid, don't want to have to pay to skip the grind.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, if only. I'd immediately do away with the toxic communities that exist in MOBAs and FPS games. I just can't stand that kind of shit. When someone completely ruins your experience in a game you spend 30$ on, it just sucks. Even if the game itself is great and really enjoyable, the community can make it unplayable. It's the reason I stopped playing ARK: Survival Evolved and DOTA 2. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh, if only. I'd immediately do away with the toxic communities that exist in MOBAs and FPS games. I just can't stand that kind of shit. When someone completely ruins your experience in a game you spend 30$ on, it just sucks. Even if the game itself is great and really enjoyable, the community can make it unplayable. It's the reason I stopped playing ARK: Survival Evolved and DOTA 2. 

I remember when I tried to get back into Dota 2 after a long break and because I wasn't used to the current meta and was a bit rusty people kept being toxic towards me, just lead me to just quitting it outright.

I remember when I tried to get back into Dota 2 after a long break and because I wasn't used to the current meta and was a bit rusty people kept being toxic towards me, just lead me to just quitting it outright.

I have seen so many assholes in that game. So many people who don't even know a drop of English. So many people who are literally just there to tell you "you suck, you'll never be good at this game, go kill yourself." It's just too much to deal with. 

• Brohoof 1

Incomplete games. That includes stuff cut out for DLC purposes. Give us a completed, functional, bugless game, and not a bare bones experience with a pretty sky box. 

Though if I had to be greedy, the removal of cheat codes. I get it for online play, but why should anyone else care what I do in offline action? I miss all the power, the abilities, the unlockables & bizarre modes developers would cram in. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

Untested games!

FFS why cant devs just release a fully tested perfect working game?! never had this problem with cartridges. Everything these days needs a patch as soon as its released! So bloody frustrating.

I cannot play AC Unity on my PC anymore because the last patch they did for it broke the game and now its too old of a game for them to pay any more attention to and there will never be a patch to fix the last bug they left it with ARGH screw you Unbisoft! I have to wait until we save enough to get a PS4 so I can finish the game on there instead. There is a gap in my Assassin history! fffffff.

Games are tested to hell and back again. The problem is that games are getting bigger data-wise. The more complex the game, especially with net code, the harder it's going to be to maintain quality.

It's the price we pay for bigger and better gaming. They put a lot of effort and manpower into making the games work as well as they do.

Any time you see the game credits and you get a list of people from the "QA" department, that's quality assurance. It's a pretty long list of people from beta testers to bug fixers as well as the people who coordinate that. Yes, there are entire teams dedicated to making games higher quality. Because it's a necessity and hard to keep a handle on.

Prices that keep going all the way up to the point new games now are twice as expensive as they were about 5 years ago. It reached the point, where I can't even buy new games anymore, because as much as I can easily afford them, I have more urgent things to spend money on. Not to mention most of games not only become more expensive, but also feel empty as about 25% of content ends up in DLCs that cost almost as much as the game they were made for. In some countries it probably isn't much of an issue due to higher earnings at work etc, but in Poland 60 dollars is a lot. To buy brand new game I have to spend about 1/6 of my monthly payment I receive for my work. This is "a bit" too much in my book. 

Fortunately there are still steam sales. 

I'd get rid of the expensive DLC. Prices for DLC and what you get are insane.....what happened to getting the full game at release? I'm looking at you Destiny....

I'd like to say I'd want to rid of DRMs...but I'd rather see an "all in one" DRM...something where you can properly link you Steam, uPlay, Battle.net, Origin...etc into one DRM/program on your PC and play between them seamlessly and have a shared friends list, achievements, activity feed, screenshots, store......and when you go to activate a key, there's no DRM lock" on it. I'd love to see something like that eventually...Steam is kinda close but not quite there....can link "non-steam games" but can't share our uPlay achievements/accomplishments on your Steam activity feed...which I'd like to see.

Not to mention, PS4 and Xbone are basically Sony/MS DRMs in a box. 

Edited by Flutter Baby <3

I have taken a couple of days to really hash this out with myself, but if I could get rid of one thing, it'd be the focus on graphics over gameplay and story. To the detriment of most high res games, often I find that games with lower quality graphics, but more polished controls, intuitive menus, and an enjoyable story draw me in more than the latest 60fps whatever.

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 1

Games are tested to hell and back again. The problem is that games are getting bigger data-wise. The more complex the game, especially with net code, the harder it's going to be to maintain quality.

It's the price we pay for bigger and better gaming. They put a lot of effort and manpower into making the games work as well as they do.

Any time you see the game credits and you get a list of people from the "QA" department, that's quality assurance. It's a pretty long list of people from beta testers to bug fixers as well as the people who coordinate that. Yes, there are entire teams dedicated to making games higher quality. Because it's a necessity and hard to keep a handle on.

Games are getting tested a lot, true. Unless they are an Activision game. Then they are rushed out the door before they can say 'Money!!!'

Speaking of which, that is another thing I would get rid of in this industry: Activision. To me, they are the absolute worst publisher in gaming. Spamming and killing franchises, having microtransactions in $60 games that also have a $50 season pass, having all of that in a series that releases every year (Call of Duty), allowing completely unfinished and rushed games to enter the market, them being the reason the game is rushed, I could go on aaaaaaaaaaaaall day about them.

Games are getting tested a lot, true. Unless they are an Activision game. Then they are rushed out the door before they can say 'Money!!!'

Speaking of which, that is another thing I would get rid of in this industry: Activision. To me, they are the absolute worst publisher in gaming. Spamming and killing franchises, having microtransactions in $60 games that also have a $50 season pass, having all of that in a series that releases every year (Call of Duty), allowing completely unfinished and rushed games to enter the market, them being the reason the game is rushed, I could go on aaaaaaaaaaaaall day about them.

Yeah, gonna have to disagree there. At least Activision fixes their games over time with hot patches. Letting your fanbase beta test for you is fine if they're willing to do it, and most CoD players don't mind it so much, it appears. The worst company in gaming to me is Electronic Arts. EA used to be king of the mountain, and then they got greedy. They started implementing that DRM stuff on all of their games. The only reason I still bought anything with their logo on it is because they're the owner and publisher of Bioware, a company that still, despite all of EA's corporate attitudes, makes decent games. 

And let's not forget the Sims. $50 for a season pass is nothing compared to $15 here, $20 there, adding up to over $150 in "new" content for the Sims in the form of Expansion Packs (DLC without the DL for those too young to know what that is). 

Edited by GlaciesFrost