Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

perfume and cologne

J.T.

I never wear perfume; it's not so much that I don't like how it smells (although most perfumes are too strong for me) but rather I'm too lazy to get any xD

I love it when guys smell nice though... :please: but they don't necessarily have to wear cologne for that.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't wear perfume, only for special occasions do I ever put any on...ok ok, so maaaybe I might wear some light smelling perfume every now and then...nothing too strong though. 

I prefer cologne on guys though. :orly:

I don't use them since I probably can't as sometimes scents like that give me migraines. So it's also why I'm not a fan of others using overly scented products either.

I'm mildly sensitive to it (not allergic or anything, it just irritates my throat and nasal cavity), but as long as you wear a little bit (say, a couple presses on the spray head), that's fine.

I remember when I was in college, students on campus and other people in public transit (both sexes, both products) practically invading the entire room/bus/train car with the stuff. A bit like those who wear high heels, the metal points of their shoes resonate from one corridor all the way through the next one, it's just... URGH. :eww:

Edited by Feather Spiral

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Oh wow, do I have a story to tell! :laugh: But first, let me answer the question.

I do wear cologne. I try to get some of the nicer stuff, and I try not to wear it too often or in high amounts. I also have cheaper stuff, but again, I try not to apply it TOO heavily.

Still, I have found there is no right or wrong way to go about stuff like this, because everyone is different. Everyone likes different things, everyone enjoys different scents.

Anyways, here is my story (Hidden because it's kind of a long read):

Spoiler

I remember one time watching one of my favorite YouTubers going off on a side-rant about how bad Axe Body Spray is. The guy can be kind of an unreasonable snob about stuff sometimes. At the time, I was really big into wearing that stuff.

Now, I would have LOVED to switch to more high-end cologne. However, I was still in college, no job, and just could not afford any of it.
So, being the "smert boi" I was, I did what any wise millennial/zoomer would do. :orly: I went to Google to see if there was a better alternative to Axe! Something that was in the same price range, but people generally liked more. I went to a forum or two just to get some human answers instead of algorithm-generated suggestions.

And WOW! Talk about snobs. I thought the YouTuber was bad, these people I found were even worse. :BornAgainBrony:
They were denouncing ALL forms of deodorant, body sprays, cologne, etc. They were saying things like "Why bother wearing that stuff at all? Your natural musk is just fine. Don't cover that up. Just bathe regularly, and you'll be fine."

Now, I don't know about you, but in my family? That's not always an option.
Our natural "musk" doesn't always smell like sunshine and roses. I'm not saying we all stink, but we don't always smell the best. Yes, we all bathe regularly, but sometimes we just need a little bit of help. That's where cologne and other smell-good products come in. Heck, sometimes we do hard work or sports, and we get a little sweaty/stinky. Not enough to take another shower over, but just enough that we could really use something quick to help freshen up again. I swear, the people I saw online act as if they've never met a sweaty person before. And that's just a light example. I've seen people confined to a wheel chair, and when they roll into a room, it's obvious they haven't been doing a good job "cleaning their backside" just by the pungent odor they have. :yuck: You can't tell me that people in such condition wouldn't be better off without some kind of cologne, perfume, or body spray to cut the filthy stench.

However, SOME people on those forums were not as severe. Some were saying that if you MUST go for a scent or spray, get something that smells natural; like fruit scents! Avoid the generic "manly" scents that aren't based on anything. People know what a strawberry is based on smell. People know what watermelon is based on scent. You'd never mistake lemon scent for anything else. So, I tried that. I tried to get some body washes and sprays that smelled like natural stuff. In fact, they said that men should definitely go for this because women aren't usually attracted to those "manly" scents.

Guess what! It had the opposite affect. No one was liking it, so I stopped trying. :yeahno:

And then one day, since I had some lying around, I decided to put on some body spray that was similar to Axe. I was going out and just needed a little something to freshen up with. Oddly enough, my mother and a few others liked it! They told me to keep doing whatever I was doing.

Lesson of the story: There is no universal law about what people will like, so there is no universal rule about what you should do. Moderation is nice, but at the end of the day, different people have different tastes. Focus a bit more on what you like first, then go from there. Don't bend just because one person has a different set of personal preferences. Having a different opinion does not make you an authority on anything.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Of course I do, I'm not a complete savage just because I can be one in private uwu I always try to put some of that smelly goodness on me. First impressions to people are said to be the most important right? So of course I want to make a strong one, literally get some of that strong smelling cologne and perfume put some on your neck there you go little on your wrists to rub together and you're ready to party with all the spicy senoritas that'll surround you just to get a wiff of that amazing awesomeness you have oozing all around you. It's called personality but they won't know that unless they actually want to go up to you and smelling good just gets girls to ask you out literally. 

My current favorite ones are definitely hugo boss and diesel only the brave. 

I use it and I like when others use it

Not bathe in it however. I swear some people practically bathe themselves in it and it’s way too strong.

• 2 weeks later...