Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who doesn't care for most MLP FCs/OCs?

AlicornSpell

First before I get started on this, there's something I have to address first: 

A OC (meaning Original Character) is supposed to be a character that a person created for their own world that they created. A FC (meaning Fan Character) is supposed to be a character that a person created for a world that was already created by someone else. So it really annoys me when people mislabel FC for OC.

Now let's get started; while I don't like most FCs that are for franchises like "Sonic the Hedgehog" or "The Powerpuff Girls" or any other franchises, the MLP FCs annoy me the most since they are always on places on the internet like "DeviantArt".

One thing I hate about FCs is that most FCs that are made by fans tend to be a Mary Sue/Gary Stu that has no flaws what so ever. And another thing I hate about FCs is that a good majority of them are just recolors of already existing Canon Characters. And also another thing I hate about FCs is that they tend to be paired with actual Canon Characters by the FC creators themselves who created the FCs that are paired with the Canon Characters, and I hate it when fans make FCs that are supposed to be children of either a Canon Couple or characters that the FC children creator ships together.

I don't get why a lot of people make FCs, since their FC is never going to exist in the franchise that they are based off of, and that feeling of knowing that your FC is never going to exist in the franchise that they are based off of must be a pretty bad feeling.

Edited by AlicornSpell

As with any "Am I the only one .." framed question, my answer remains the same

Of course not. I'm sure there are others.

As far as terminology, if everyone started calling the color green ... 'dave' ... guess what happens ... we wear dave on St. Patrick's Day.

Your observations regarding OC's are not completely wrong. There are bad ones out there -- narratively, thematically, and stylistically. This is my take though: this is nowhere near as bad as the number of horrid self-published novels on KDP, but I'll never tell someone to stop writing, or bemoan how self published authors don't grasp narrative structure. Doing that would make me sound a little elitist. I try and avoid that if I can.

People derive enjoyment from their OC. A bad OC's existence does not interfer with my enjoyment of life, so I don't focus much on that I suppose. If it makes them happy, I'm fine with it.

• Brohoof 1

No, Your not alone. I pretty much made myself and that's it. It's just something plain, and I don't exactly flaunt about it either. Never really cared for any OCs, really. Not even mine to an extent.

Edited by H0MeBr0nY