mega thread What is your sexuality ?

DashingRainbow36

And this is kinda random, but can someone tell me why asexual isn't called nonsexual or something like that, I mean, I've never been able to figure out why it's called asexual when a human feels no attraction to males or females-when asexual means being able to reproduce without a partner which no human is capable of doing.

because asexual MEANS nonsexual. the "a" stands for "non" in the name.

because asexual MEANS nonsexual. the "a" stands for "non" in the name.

I'm not stupid. I'm saying that I think a word like nonsexual seems more appropriate because the word asexual itself describes species that reproduce by itself. So calling a human asexual doesn't make sense because it is biologically impossible for Homo sapiens to do that

on the other hand, though, a number of famous bronies in the fandom are gay (Jackle App, Mic The Microphone, Alex S, etc.).

WAIT! Alex S is Gay? I knew about Jackle App and Mic, but when did the news about Alex S. arrive and how?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I do, too. I don't even know the state of same-sex marriage in my state (aside from it not being legalized) and I honestly don't even want to know.

All I can say is that I know it won't ever be legalized, not until same-sex marriage is legalized federally. It makes me very sad, but I know I don't want to remain in this state or anywhere near the South anyway.

It's just sad that we even have to go through this process of progression. I suppose I just have to be happy that I wasn't born any earlier because it was far worse before.

It is unfortunate that we still have to deal with such things in the 21st Century. Same-sex marriage is not legal here in Minnesota, but I believe that it will be on the November ballot. I hope we can attain a victory here (although I am not holding my breath).

I firmly agree with you that same-sex marriage will need to be legalized on a federal level before we start getting somewhere.

Things were worse in the past, but at the same time, it is frustrating how short lived we humans are, as many years typically pass in history before a qualitative leap is produced. Hell, even a few decades is the mere blink of an eye historically speaking, but again, we just don't live that long. In some ways, it is better to be around now instead of being around a few decades ago, but at the same time, I fear that I will be old and gray by the time many of the problems of today's society are resolved (assuming they are resolved in my lifetime to begin with). I guess the fruits of a bettter society, assuming one comes about, will be largely enjoyed by future generations instead of ours. :(

Edited by M14Brony
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not stupid. I'm saying that I think a word like nonsexual seems more appropriate because the word asexual itself describes species that reproduce by itself. So calling a human asexual doesn't make sense because it is biologically impossible for Homo sapiens to do that

The prefix "a-" has two meanings. First, it describes something that isn't as it normally is, such as arrhythmia or anaemic. Being that sexuality doesn't have a normative default, this doesn't apply. The other thing it can mean is that of all of a number of options, this thing falls under none. (e.g. atheist, not believing in any of many gods; aphobic, none of many phobias; etc.) Sexual orientation is a spectrum, and there are a number of different categories you could fall under, and even ones that need definition by the person him/herself. However, there are also people who fall nowhere on this spectrum, and have no sexual attraction to others. Given the many options, not falling under a single one and, in fact, not fitting into the definition at all of what it is to have a sexual orientation, these people are called asexual. However, the prefix "non-" has a different meaning. It's the choice between two things. Smoker, non-smoker. Existent, non-existent. Therefore, non-sexual would be someone who isn't currently sexually active, being that there are only two options, here - sexually active and not sexually active. So asexual and non-sexual wouldn't be the same thing. As you said, asexual reproduction isn't possible for humans, anyway, so why would one assume that it -does- apply to humans just because you've used a homonym of that word to describe them?

Edited by Duchess_Clover
  • Brohoof 1

It is unfortunate that we still have to deal with such things in the 21st Century. Same-sex marriage is not legal here in Minnesota, but I believe that it will be on the November ballot. I hope we can attain a victory here (although I am not holding my breath).

I firmly agree with you that same-sex marriage will need to be legalized on a federal level before we start getting somewhere.

Things were worse in the past, but at the same time, it is frustrating how short lived we humans are, as many years typically pass in history before a qualitative leap is produced. Hell, even a few decades is the mere blink of an eye historically speaking, but again, we just don't live that long. In some ways, it is better to be around now instead of being around a few decades ago, but at the same time, I fear that I will be old and gray by the time many of the problems of today's society are resolved (assuming they are resolved in my lifetime to begin with). I guess the fruits of a bettter society, assuming one comes about, will be largely enjoyed by future generations instead of ours. :(

Progress happening so slow bothers me so much.

But what I mean by being glad that I wasn't born 'before', I'm not really even talking about homosexuality, or homosexuality specifically anyway. Not too long before I was born - well, 20 years - Jim Crow laws were still in effect. While I'm not black and could not be personally discriminated against, I would have still been so disgusted to be around and see that.

We're very lucky that it's marriage we're having to fight for. Although, if somehow homosexuality was a visible trait then I'm certain many more rights would have had to have been fought for. It's not that the right to marry isn't important, though. It's just, considering history we have it good. Although, it's still bad. It's still wrong, very wrong. It's just not anywhere near as atrocious as what other groups have had to go through.

It's just that here in 2012 we're still dealing with this at all. It's that somehow we haven't learned from history. That we're still catering to those who are less progressive. Like somehow catering to their hatred is more important than people of this time having their rights. That's so ridiculous. Those who hate can deal with it. Those who are denied those rights only get to live once. They don't get to see further down the line when society is better. There is no excuse for this.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

WAIT! Alex S is Gay? I knew about Jackle App and Mic, but when did the news about Alex S. arrive and how?

You didn't know Alex S. was gay? That's been common knowledge for a while.

Oh, and Raccoon, the only vote that surprised me was Arylett. She never really seemed too much like a fillyfooler to me.

Edited by Metyllisk

The prefix "a-" has two meanings. First, it describes something that isn't as it normally is, such as arrhythmia or anaemic. Being that sexuality doesn't have a normative default, this doesn't apply. The other thing it can mean is that of all of a number of options, this thing falls under none. (e.g. atheist, not believing in any of many gods; aphobic, none of many phobias; etc.) Sexual orientation is a spectrum, and there are a number of different categories you could fall under, and even ones that need definition by the person him/herself. However, there are also people who fall nowhere on this spectrum, and have no sexual attraction to others. Given the many options, not falling under a single one and, in fact, not fitting into the definition at all of what it is to have a sexual orientation, these people are called asexual. However, the prefix "non-" has a different meaning. It's the choice between two things. Smoker, non-smoker. Existent, non-existent. Therefore, non-sexual would be someone who isn't currently sexually active, being that there are only two options, here - sexually active and not sexually active. So asexual and non-sexual wouldn't be the same thing. As you said, asexual reproduction isn't possible for humans, anyway, so why would one assume that it -does- apply to humans just because you've used a homonym of that word to describe them?

I don't know, it's always just seems weird to me. Having two words spelled AND pronounced the same way and have distinctly different meanings. I can tell apart the two by the context-and I assume anyone who know either one can as well. And I didn't mean nonsexual would be THE word to use-just something with a similar prefix as there are quite a few that mean not/no-like things.

I don't follow whats going on other bronies live that much. :/

Anyway, wheres the info he posted? Is he homosexual or bisexual?

I don't know, it's always just seems weird to me. Having two words spelled AND pronounced the same way and have distinctly different meanings. I can tell apart the two by the context-and I assume anyone who know either one can as well. And I didn't mean nonsexual would be THE word to use-just something with a similar prefix as there are quite a few that mean not/no-like things.

The English language does this quite a lot. For example, bow as in ribbon and bow as in the stick used to play the violin. Bark as in a dog's barking and bark as in the outside of a tree trunk. River bank, savings bank. Things you probably wouldn't have even realized are homonyms are. I'm constantly reminded of this, as I teach English to non-native speakers, and when I ask my students if they know the meaning of a word, which clearly has a specific meaning in this context, to the point where I didn't even realize that it had a different meaning, they pull out another meaning of the word, which, while a correct meaning, isn't correct in the given context. It kinda blows my mind when they do that. /tangent

Oh, and Raccoon, the only vote that surprised me was Arylett. She never really seemed too much like a fillyfooler to me.

So you thought that before the whole Tich x Kyronea (and seeing this topic) that both of us could be bisexual? Interesting. Very interesting.

The English language does this quite a lot. For example, bow as in ribbon and bow as in the stick used to play the violin. Bark as in a dog's barking and bark as in the outside of a tree trunk. River bank, savings bank. Things you probably wouldn't have even realized are homonyms are. I'm constantly reminded of this, as I teach English to non-native speakers, and when I ask my students if they know the meaning of a word, which clearly has a specific meaning in this context, to the point where I didn't even realize that it had a different meaning, they pull out another meaning of the word, which, while a correct meaning, isn't correct in the given context. It kinda blows my mind when they do that. /tangent

And yet somehow English is the most popular language in the world... Does the standerd really have to be one of the most confusing? Why can't it be a simpler language-like Spanish? *sigh*

And yet somehow English is the most popular language in the world... Does the standerd really have to be one of the most confusing? Why can't it be a simpler language-like Spanish? *sigh*

I've studied 4 different foreign languages. I believe that all languages probably have their downfalls and their own separate ways of accommodating for them, as well as their own good points, as well. And if that's not a good enough response, well, blame Britain. j/k

• Brohoof 1