Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The problem of writing a Zecora episode

Mesme Rize

That has been a request from bronys for years now, that Zecora should get her own episode. And i seemed like the only one in this sea of request who always said "...how?"

Here is the thing. Zecora is a character that we only heard talking through rhymes with not exception whatsoever and most of the time, these times where relatively brief. Now imagine Zecora having her own episode where she certainly has to talk for most of the episode? This brings 2 difficulties for the writers:

1. All of Zecoras words need to be in rhyme, or else this would be OOC for her. I don't use that term much, but this fits it perfectly

2. The dialogue actually needs to make sense when Zecora talks in rhymes.

Writing something like that in an episode is incredibly tough. If the Writers do it wrong, the fans will hunt them down.

What do you think guys?

I think the only zecora focused episode we'd see would probably be examining her backstory or something like that.

Perhaps how she came to obtain her rhyming curse? Hopefully with the CMC involved ;)

• Brohoof 1

This is my little pony we are talking about, there is no my little zebra *mic drop*
(has no intelligent contribution)
Other than dialogue there also has to be a story, Zecora was suppose to be some kind of mentor so it might be good but who would she mentor and what would be the relevance to the story?
I also think making an episode dedicated to her would over play her character and the rhyme mannerism like "I am groot" in guardians of the galaxy 2.

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

That has been a request from bronys for years now, that Zecora should get her own episode. And i seemed like the only one in this sea of request who always said "...how?"

Here is the 

1. All of Zecoras words need to be in rhyme, or else this would be OOC for her. I don't use that term much, but this fits it perfectly

I agree. 

In fact, in this fanfiction I've been mentally developing for years, My main character, confused from memory loss,  is found and helped by Zecora. As much as it was nice coming up with rhyming dialogue for Zecora to get him started, it'd be too difficult for Zecora to do all the planned exposition. Thankfully, the CMC (pre-cutie marks) are also there to help get our hero up to speed.

1 hour ago, Frozen The Unicorn said:

I think the only zecora focused episode we'd see would probably be examining her backstory or something like that.

Perhaps how she came to obtain her rhyming curse? Hopefully with the CMC involved ;)

I wouldn't think it's a curse, as she sometimes speaks out of rhyme when surprised. 

• Brohoof 2

I find it to be a little funny that you made this topic, the same day that we got two synopsis for future episodes where it seems Zecora will play a bigger role than she has done in the past few seasons.

Spoiler

718 - A Health of Information

While helping Fluttershy gather supplies, Zecora comes down with a terrible disease called Swamp Fever; even though a cure has not been discovered, Fluttershy makes it her mission to heal Zecora no matter what it takes.

Spoiler

720 - It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

When Rarity's shampoo is accidentally switched with Zecora's magical remover potion, she does everything she can to fix her devastated mane in time for an upcoming photo shoot.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

I wouldn't think it's a curse, as she sometimes speaks out of rhyme when surprised. 

You think she's speaking out of rhyme ;) in fact she's just doing a complicated rhyming technique where she has to catch up on rhymes later

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I find it to be a little funny that you made this topic, the same day that we got two synopsis for future episodes where it seems Zecora will play a bigger role than she has done in the past few seasons.

Reveal hidden contents

718 - A Health of Information

While helping Fluttershy gather supplies, Zecora comes down with a terrible disease called Swamp Fever; even though a cure has not been discovered, Fluttershy makes it her mission to heal Zecora no matter what it takes.

Reveal hidden contents

720 - It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

When Rarity's shampoo is accidentally switched with Zecora's magical remover potion, she does everything she can to fix her devastated mane in time for an upcoming photo shoot.

Oh shit. Coincedince? :o

Well, Zecora is not the main focus in these episodes.

Spoiler

In one she is sick, so she obviously can't talk, while the other is more about the potion and rarity

These kinds of episodes use Zecora in a, while important role, but not THE role, so the writers will have it alot easier.

Of course, that's all just speculation for now.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Mesme Rize said:

I suspect one of these days she will speak without her signature rhyme for comedic effect. 

Pair her with a character who would have a larger portion of the dialog would mitigate the writing effort, like Spike. There are other creative ways to include her as a story catalyst. IDW seems to have giving us a foundational idea of how this would work. 

Also, the writers should not be afraid of the fandom when crafting a story. It stifles creativity. Story and character first. 

7 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Well, Zecora is not the main focus in these episodes.

Who was the main focus in Parental Glideance. ;)

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

Here is the thing. Zecora is a character that we only heard talking through rhymes with not exception whatsoever and most of the time, these times where relatively brief. Now imagine Zecora having her own episode where she certainly has to talk for most of the episode? This brings 2 difficulties for the writers:

2. The dialogue actually needs to make sense when Zecora talks in rhymes.

Writing something like that in an episode is incredibly tough. If the Writers do it wrong, the fans will hunt them down.

What do you think guys?

easy workaround. we've never seen her Poison Joke'd before. Maybe it takes away her rhymes. But then again, in the Journal of the Two Sisters, ALL the zebras rhyme. Not just Zecora.

I haven't really heard anyone complaining about her rhyming, to be honest.

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

easy workaround. we've never seen her Poison Joke'd before. Maybe it takes away her rhymes. But then again, in the Journal of the Two Sisters, ALL the zebras rhyme. Not just Zecora.

I haven't really heard anyone complaining about her rhyming, to be honest.

I don't think anyone minds it... well expect for Fanfic writers probably. 

Firstly, we don't give a buck about each other unless our interests align so even if the episodes are shit there shall be no repercussions.

Secondly, writers and H-Bro don't give a buck about us since we ain't their primary cash cows.

Thirdly, writing in rhymes ain't all that hard. This applies to genius or a tard.

I'd love to see more of Zecora :) she wouldn't have to speak all the time in an episode revolving around herself, as someone else mentioned, another character could do the bulk of the talking. I still enjoy seeing her, even if its only for a few lines on the show ;) 

I would like to see Zecora again, she didn't get much in S6 like in S5.

Zecora could take them on an adventure to get in touch with Nature, maybe a twist, Zecora could know Daring Do.