Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Annoying Anti-Americanism

heavens-champion

Criticizing the country, especially if you’re one of the people living in it, isn’t un-American, and if anything the one thing that’s constantly killing my sympathy for the country is the fact that it’s a country that actively refuses to improve and people are willing to take it up the ass if it means sticking it to the opposition with any excuse they can come with, no matter how flimsy 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

This has nothing to do with different viewpoints. This has everything to do with Americans being treated like horrible people.

I think the root of your frustration lies not in criticizing and hating America, but rather in how ignorant is done almost exclusively  :huh:

7 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

So you're saying we should just be criticized by people who hate Americans?

Not sure what you mean specifically. This thread will likely get the axe but I'll say that the US should be criticized by everyone for being a massive failure at countless basic things (not to mention the corruption, greed, wealth inequality, the sheer lack of empathy). It should be criticized by its own people especially but people often choose unwavering patriotism over anything actually improving so we are on a downward spiral. Putting the oh so precious murican flag on everything doesn't magically make the problems go away. 

I feel nothing but shame for being an "american", my nationality is nothing but a fuel for my self hatred now. I denounce being called it and prefer to be called a Hoosier, even if my state is mostly a shithole too. Basically I can't have pride in much of anything anymore, only deep, deep regrets. 

That's my worthless opinion and I'm sticking to it. 

Edited by Kyoshi

As much as I think America is one of the most stupidest and most selfish country, other countries are just the same, if not, worst compared to the US. They tends to use that anti-Americanism just to make themselves look good. Although, some part in the history America was responsible for some country's suffering, hence I don't blame them for being upset with the US. I have to stop myself from saying more but overall, humanity altogether is a pile of dog shit no matter where you're from. It only takes a small % of good people with a kind heart in every countries to make it less unbearable.

I think that America certainly has critical flaws, but I also think that other countries also have critical flaws. It also annoys me that someone would be anti-American because that puts all Americans into a certain group. I'm fine if you criticize the government or even America, but to put all Americans into any group is unreasonable and unfair.

Most of anti Americanism comes from inferiority complex, there is no perfect country. America has more resources then the average nation not only that America is a huge brain magnet if you are smart you move to America to start a business there. Large rather homogeneous market with easy access to capital it is the entrepreneurial dream. Of course though this will attract negative people, you see America excelling in every field of research America dominates the global market are the leading tech giant meanwhile you have dying markets such as europe that can't even properly produce enough power for their current manufacturing mostly relying on the patience of old companies that have been family owned for generations that are now being killed by EU over regulations. These companies will someday soon realize that they would fare way better in the USA. 

Of course America does have crime problems but what do you expect with such a large population. Some say American houses sucks but I've read their building codes essentially a house in America is very similarly built compared to most houses in europe. So really there is no America best in the world or America worst in the world. What America is excellent at is the economy, America is an economic machine that generates a lot of money. My dream as an entrepreneur and an investor is to perhaps one day be allowed to live in the great nation of America but I realize that is almost impossible to do. Perhaps that is why people become anti american when they realize they can't so easily move to America. Yet I believe that there is no perfect country only that America offers you definitely a lot of opportunities to the right people. Those willing to take risk, they are the ones typically successful.

• Brohoof 1

Well...if you want to blame us, you got to blame Europe. Without Europe making a mess a couple times(and dragging us into it), we wouldn't be where we are today(two world wars, anyone?).

That being said, I am a US citizen in a state that no one cares about, especially a certain poster here, and America was what we experienced with the oil boom with the failed recovery and associated mess starting in about 2007. We had people from 120 countries and every US state and territories here working and getting along. It didn't matter who you were as long as you could speak enough English to get along and worked hard, you got a job, and not a minimum wage one either. Imagine a $25 an hour part time job stocking shelves with full benefits at Walmart in 2009-and that was considered "low"! Crime was about normal, mostly stupid little things.

Times changed, oil fell, we leveled out. Times changed again. Now Cushings Oklahoma is empty and oil is climbing. Rigs are going up again here. Same thing as 2009 again, only with higher wages.

With that being said, I think it is quite sad to see how far the US has fell. We used to be an industrial superpower, if it had "USA" on it you could guarantee it meant quality and pride, built to last, built by people who cared. If it didn't say "USA" you could assume it was made there anyways.

Now look at us, a freaking pillow's main selling point is that it's made here. How far have we fell that we can sell a freaking pillow on the fact that it's made here?(I will say I like it though...) We can't even make a car, something that we popularized a hundred years ago. We can't even make our own medicines,  our fertilizer, our fuels, AND ALL THE RAW MATERIALS COME FROM HERE TO MAKE IT!

I mean I knew we fell a long ways after the 1970s crash and further after 2009, but I didn't think we had fallen that far that we can't make anything anymore, aside from a pillow and some food.

But, if you advocate going back to the US's heyday, being a powerhouse, feeding the world, producing everything, making everything, exporting everything, being the shining light of the world, being where anyone with a dream wants to go to get a chance, no matter how small, to make it big, you get labeled a...party we fought against in the second world war.

We need a depression and a world war to wake up not only us but the world. We need it to drop the stupid little problems that are all the rage in today's world. People here talk about how bad it it here, how they have no rights, no freedoms, no future, when on the other side of the world they simply shoot you if you misspeak. Where you starve after working your fingers to the literal bone for basically nothing...and probably end up like one who misspoke.

The government...is a mess, always has and always will be just like everywhere else, no matter who's in power. The coasts will dislike the inside until an election year as usual and then wonder why they didn't vote like them and go back to disliking them because of it.

Its stupid where the US has went. Its stupid where it looks like we are going. Unless something big happens I don't think we will make it to our tri centennial.

The virus could have been our chance to solve alot of problems. Instead it was just used for political gain on all sides around the world.

There was a song about Detroit in 2011 or so...something like "DC's bailing out them bankers as farmers auction ground, but in the real world they're shutting Detroit down" well DC hasn't changed, we've sold our ground to overseas and Detroit is shut down. And the world shits on us because they can, yet they'll find some way to drag us into something somehow in some way.

I look to the east and see a state literally burning itself to the ground, I look to the west and see a state being filled with people from a state that is falling a part and they're turning it into what they left, I look to the north and see people who want to leave and take their area with them, I look to the south and see a state being used for political gain, I look at the TV and see the same mess, and I look online and see the same thing. I look here where I am and I have to consider myself luck to be where I am at, even if others don't think so, even if our state is incredibly opinionated and diverse in every way and every way its not .

Anyways, enough rambling from a "stupid hick farmer" in a "worthless stupid fly over state" in "the worst county in the world"

• Brohoof 3

On 2017-05-26 at 3:16 AM, heavens-champion said:

Anyone besides me find anti-Americanism annoying?

Does this include South America and Central America as well?

Anything "anti-" is quite annoying, yes.

6 hours ago, Sunny Man and Izzy Man said:

I do like America. But people have right to like and dislike but keep hate/dislike to themsleve.

But that's the thing... America has freedom of speech, so people are allowed to express their criticisms of the USA.

Talking about the United States' popularity is incredibly complicated. Because whether you like or dislike certain aspects or the country as a whole will always differ person-to-person and country-to-country.

Personally, having lived there for a good portion of my life, I can say that a lot of people like to hear one genuinely egregious thing about the United States and latch onto that one statement, adding whatever they want to the pile of accusations as 'reasons that country is bad' and it's incredibly dishonest. But I won't say the United States doesn't deserve a good amount of it. I don't think there's a single country I like 100% of the time, but since the United States is the benefactor and protector for a huge number of NATO nations, I'd say it's government has fallen woefully short of its obligations to setting an example for other countries for a very long time. Healthcare, government spending, promoting metaphorically killing yourself for your job, glorifying violence in media but condemning sexuality as a topic as a whole- there's a lot of annoyance and intolerance directed at the United States and it being a superpower just underlines every single mistake and problem with it with a bold, neon marker. So it's just easy to hate.

I personally believe, fully admitting I don't know every little detail about American involvement in every little thing, the United States feels too powerful and a little out of control sometimes. I know we don't live in the perfect world we wish we did, but whenever something happens in the United States, I am really exhausted on feeling like I have to care about it. Or knowing that it will somehow affect me.

That being said, with every country in the world I like to make a distinction between a country's government and its people. Most often it comes down to me liking a country's people most of the time, and disliking its government. Like Russia for example- lovely people (most of the time), horrifying government. The US is the only country where I have mixed feelings on both. A huge number of the most lovely people I've ever met have been American, and the vast majority of people I can not stand have been American as well, haha.

• Brohoof 2

I, for one, have always liked auntie Americanism :P 

Spoiler

On 2021-12-09 at 6:38 PM, Sunny Man and Izzy Man said:

Any country are not perfect and greatest in the world. I'm from Uk, and can't stand  hated of both UK and America. I do like America. But people have right to like and dislike.

Disliking a country would be silly at the best of times. My criteria for ignoring folk who posture about hating countries is: 1) do they actually care about people in the country eg because they live there and are concerned? 2) do they think the concern is solvable eg has another society adopted a better solution?

If folk pass those tests while saying they hate America, then they might be saying something worthwhile: that we would all be so much better off if only we all addressed this issue.

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked