Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A clue about pony aging (Spoilers from The Perfect Pear)

Azatrot

(CAVEAT: Now, I know that the writers are probably not thinking on this level of detail and consistency, but I still think it's fun to speculate about the deeper lore anyway)

So it has previously been hinted that Granny Smith is hundreds of years old (she was present during the founding of Ponyville and Twilight says in Winter Wrap Up "Ponyville was started by Earth ponies, so for hundreds of years they've never used magic to clean up winter"). This raises the question of how ponies age and how long they live. As of The Perfect Pear we may have gotten an additional clue for those of us that like to overanalyze the lore of this show: Before the song, Bright Mac tells Pear Butter that it is their 131456 hour anniversary (about 15 years) since he first called her Buttercup. He did this earlier in the episode when they where young. Then they looked like the cake twins, but they spoke very well, so they were probably a bit older (but not as old as the CMC). Maybe the equivalent of 3-5 years? If that is the case, then we learned that ponies becomes young adults at about 18-20 (and also legally able to marry). This seems consistent with how humans age, but it doesn't seem consistent with Granny Smith's age. But maybe ponies mature as fast as humans, but still can live longer?

I'm probably missing some previous data. But what implications does this have for pony aging? Could this somehow be used to better guess the age of the main six if combined with earlier known facts? What are your thoughts?

I'd say that maybe Ponies age normally like humans until they reach adulthood, then their aging slows dramatically. So they stay like they're in the 20-30 range for quite a while despite getting older than that, then maybe the aging process kicks back in later.

Of course, it's really just the magic of writer inconsistency that's affecting pony aging.:P

I believe they weren't paying close attention to detail early on, which is why the show has odd inconsistencies with lore. They leave it for the fans to clean up (common). 

In the Perfect Pear's case I believe you also have an unreliable narrator aspect, but not due to intentional deception. We are shown scenes that the narrators were not present for, and were told the various stories by the couple after the fact. This likely included how they met.