Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoiler: Theories for the pony of shadows?

Unlikeable Pony

So, what's everyone's theories for who the pony of shadows is? We know it was mentioned in castlemania, and we also know that its supposedly the villain of this season's finale. We also know that there's supposedly an image of him in the shadowlock arc, of a changeling looking alicorn demon. we also know that The Legends of magic series will possibly end with him being featured in the final issue.
So what are you theories about who he is? it seems unlikely its going to end up being a piece of luna given what we've seen so far.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I for one think demons are a stretch for Equestria. Demons mean Angels & both mean a Heaven & Hell. That's touchy ground in the best of dimensions.

As for cannonically, well, think it was only ever meant to be a vague threatening shape. Like they wanted you to think it was Pinkie Pie that whole episode, and made you cleverly doubt yourself at the end with a moment of unexplained animation. 

I have my own web of headcannon. That Ponyville sits on the magical leyline nexus of the realm of Equestria & therefore alotta things seep through where all the pooled magic weakens the walls between dimensions. That's why the Everfree is such a grab-bag of threats! Maybe that's why the Two Sisters moved out & abandoned their castle, too many things started happening after close to a decade of living there and they figured, hey, maybe this ain't the most peaceful place to live.

I think its an actual ghost. In fact, made a previously-human OC ghost to basically fill in the role of "creepy haunting thingie around that castle."

My theory is that the pony of shadows is actually Starswirl the bearded; I'm thinking he's going to be corrupted by some sort of evil that the six legends of magic fought together, and the reason why Celestia and luna never found out about him is because the other 5 ended up being forced to imprison him/seal him away themselves.

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

My theory is that the pony of shadows is actually Starswirl the bearded; I'm thinking he's going to be corrupted by some sort of evil that the six legends of magic fought together, and the reason why Celestia and luna never found out about him is because the other 5 ended up being forced to imprison him/seal him away themselves.

I mean... that kinda hits the 'Starlight is Twilight's Starswirl' theory a little on the nose.

I think the pony of shadows is an umbrum, just like Sombra was. Sombra was send to the real world to take away the heart, while the pony of shadows was send to let Grogar escape, so he can take over Equestria.

As long Haber doesn't habzard to nerfing ofn force the Mane 6 another time in favor of his beloved Starlight Glimmer, doesn't matter to me (I REALLY hope that "Twilight Sparkle battles the pony of shadows" in the old DF press release wasn't a typo....)

20 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

'Starlight is Twilight's Starswirl'

Sorry, a little confused as to what you mean here, could you elaborate?

18 hours ago, Sly said:

As long Haber doesn't habzard to nerfing ofn force the Mane 6 another time in favor of his beloved Starlight Glimmer, doesn't matter to me (I REALLY hope that "Twilight Sparkle battles the pony of shadows" in the old DF press release wasn't a typo....)

Eh, it being JUST twilight fighting him would be almost as bad IMO >.<
I want a mane six adventure, not just a mane one.

That being said, I'm  hoping she's out of this one due to the EQG specials having starlight staying behind while the others are off on a "friendship emergency"

15 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Sorry, a little confused as to what you mean here, could you elaborate?

Eh, it being JUST twilight fighting him would be almost as bad IMO >.<
I want a mane six adventure, not just a mane one.

That being said, I'm  hoping she's out of this one due to the EQG specials having starlight staying behind while the others are off on a "friendship emergency"

Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. I think I was trying to say that if Starswirl has a dark past, that's another potential similarity to Starlight... I think. Like, I said, half asleep

Since the finale is most likely going to be about the Pony of Shadows whom Starswirl and his team defeated. I want the finale to confirm whether or not Starlight is Starswirl's descendant that way I'm pretty sure nobody would complain about her being op anymore. Also they should make the Pont of Shadows have the ability to control or possess shadow. We need some more diverse magic in a world of magic.

Given how it kinda looked like a changeling, I am going to guess that it is some kinda mystical demon creature that Chrysalis will summon to get her revenge.

I mean we already had yesterday's episode foreshadowing To Change a Changeling and renegade changelings, plus with the way season 6 ended, I am pretty sure Chrysalis is going to get her revenge, and season 7 has had a lot of continuity in it, so I feel like it would make sense.

Plus if this were to be the case, I would hope that the show would pull a Korra season 2 and have Chrysalis fuse with the pony of shadows, similar to Unalaq and Vaatu, so the mane 6 can use some magical mcguffin(s) to take her down.  The show could easily go "Chyrsalis wasn't killed, she was purified out of existence" or something, and we would be spared from a terrible villain reformation.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:19 AM, Unlikeable Pony said:

I actually am a huge fan of this theory in general. There are some crazy Starswirl theories out there, but yours narratively fits better. Wouldn't it be nifty if defeating the Pony of Shadows corrupts the victor. So what if the six faced the Pony of Shadows, and Starswirl became corrupted? 

I think that the pony of shadows is an otherworldly spirit, that was conjured in the seclusion of the castle ruins... for some reason (perhaps servitude?).

If true... then this opens up a lot of new questions.

Why was it conjured? Why does it haunt the castle of the two sisters? Who conjured it? When?

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

Maybe some kind of evil sorcerer who gave up his equinity for power.

Perhaps a Lich-like being? Ooooohh interesting!

1 minute ago, Heavenly Sun said:

I think that the pony of shadows is an otherworldly spirit, that was conjured in the seclusion of the castle ruins... for some reason (perhaps servitude?).

If true... then this opens up a lot of new questions.

Why was it conjured? Why does it haunt the castle of the two sisters? Who conjured it? When?

Perhaps a Lich-like being? Ooooohh interesting!

Maybe.

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

I actually am a huge fan of this theory in general. There are some crazy Starswirl theories out there, but yours narratively fits better. Wouldn't it be nifty if defeating the Pony of Shadows corrupts the victor. So what if the six faced the Pony of Shadows, and Starswirl became corrupted? 

Would be interesting if it was a "Striking them down is an insta lose condition" kind of thing, and the only way to beat the pony was via a nonviolent, virtuous method instead.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Would be interesting if it was a "Striking them down is an insta lose condition" kind of thing, and the only way to beat the pony was via a nonviolent, virtuous method instead.

Or the elements of harmony, if we still had them. :ooh: The pony of shadows turned to stone is a victory to me. That way he can't switch from body, but the 'user' is trapped too.

• 1 month later...

Here is what I think. Like AJ said in CastleMania...The shadow itself is remnants of Luna that takes hold of ponies that will let it be it’s host. It is a living breathing inmnety that feeds off extreme bitterness/despair and transforms them into something to the effects of Nightmare Moon or the Pony of Shadows. There must be more than one..It explains the castle being haunted as well, because the shadow roames until it can find a pony to take hold of. I think you have to allow it inside you though. It can’t just take over (thus why Luna blames herself) To me it would extremely creepy and very creative. 

Edited by Melody Key
I’m bad at explaining things 😂