Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is the movie a good way to introduce people to the show?

Firedog

Will the MLP movie be a good way to recruit bronies to the actaul show?  

26 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think the movie is a good way to introduce someone to the show

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybd

I think it would be an 'okay' introduction at best. It is definitely a great way to show new people the musical talent behind the show as the songs are at the forefront, but some of the characters get lost in the mix. It doesn't quite have the time to really let all of the mane 6 shine. There's also a couple of parts that simply made Twilight look like a moron with a bad attitude, so it wouldn't be the best introduction to her character either.

I don't like the notion that 'action' is the ultimate way to get someone into the show. The general public loves its action movies, but FiM shines best when it focus more on the characters and the dialogue. So I think one of the best episodes to introduce to someone is Saddle Row Review from season 6. It has all sorts of humor, each of the mane 6 are displayed brilliantly, and it is just fun. The movie definitely has these same things,mostly,  but again, because they had to cram so much into it, some things get a bit lost.

• Brohoof 3

Always maintained that you might as well introduce the show from the beginning. You can get action and spectacle anywhere and bigger. I feel like fans who are trying to snake oil sell the show on those grounds are largely missing their own point and making excuses to themselves. The charm of the show is that it is fun and light-hearted and character-driven and empathetic and yes, a little cheesy at times. 

And also I'd say the movie is worse for that purpose than a lot of the more adventurey premieres even if you're trying to lay that bait. It's long, more saccharine at times than the series usually is, and less intelligible in its references to the uninitiated.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ivan The Adorable said:

Always maintained that you might as well introduce the show from the beginning. You can get action and spectacle anywhere and bigger. I feel like fans who are trying to snake oil sell the show on those grounds are largely missing their own point and making excuses to themselves. The charm of the show is that it is fun and light-hearted and character-driven and empathetic and yes, a little cheesy at times. 

And also I'd say the movie is worse for that purpose than a lot of the more adventurey premieres even if you're trying to lay that bait. It's long, more saccharine at times than the series usually is, and less intelligible in its references to the uninitiated.

I was never trying to claim the show had lots of action.

I simply stated that because of the action in the movie, it would break the preconceived notion that MLP is super girly.

I know when I first watched MLP I thought it was gonna be really dumb kids show like Dora or something that was about ponies having tea parties without any depth.

If I had seen that it actually wasn't super girly show with zero depth, I might have given it a chance sooner.

This about described what I thought the show would be like before I watched it:

Edited by Firedog

Yes in so much as it would at least get the ideal that its a girly show with no action and or deeper acting in it out of the way....

But...

No overall. And for a few reasons. (AGAIN WITH MY LISTS! I think I need help...)

-

#1: No one likes coming into a movie without the knowledge needed to actually, well... Enjoy the movie. A new viewer is not going to get any character references. There not going to get Cameos. And there not going to get the weight of actions as much. (Twilight screwing the pooch is not as hard hitting if you don't know how she normally acts)

#2: There are simply better ways to introduce them... Like the Pilot.. (First 2 episodes)

#3: In fact.. some parts of the movie where kind of jarringly off what I would expect from the show.

The Ponies seemed... Well pretty much useless/helpless in the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of the movie... Jarringly so....

9 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

Yes in so much as it would at least get the ideal that its a girly show with no action and or deeper acting in it out of the way....

#2: There are simply better ways to introduce them... Like the Pilot.. (First 2 episodes)

That was kind my idea with the movie....

I think people are more likely to watch kids shows if they are first introduced via movie.

THEN after the movie that might be curious enough to watch the show

17 minutes ago, Firedog said:

That was kind my idea with the movie....

I think people are more likely to watch kids shows if they are first introduced via movie.

THEN after the movie that might be curious enough to watch the show

Meh, I disagree. As some one who actually went to see the movie with some one who had never seen the show (A adult who had never)

She was totally disinterested in the movie. Because she had no frame of reference with the characters. Simply put she had no ideal if they where acting out of character or what to expect.... If anything some behaviour is down right annoying without frame of reference. (Rarity or Pinkie for instance)

She actually looked right at me and was like "Why do they put up with the pink one? She seams to be making everything harder."

She is by the way interested in the show... but was before hand, and actually had to tell me.

"I'm still interested in watching the show after this."

As in.... "Despite not enjoying the movie. I'm still interested in see the movie."

-

This is not a thing with the ponies movie. Its a thing with tie in movies. Its just hard to tell a story mid stream that people with no experience will enjoy.

-

Its kind of like people who watch Star Trek The Wrath of Khan having never watched star trek before.

Its literally so distracting trying to figure out what the hay is going on, that it makes the movie hard to enjoy.

-

I'll ask my brother in law what he thought also. He has not seen the show proper but is the kind of person that most likely could get into it... and he got dragged to the movie also.

Side note: He dragged my sister to Blade Runner also.. She hated it because she had no ideal what was going on.. never having seen the first movie.

1 minute ago, blackstarraven said:

She is by the way interested in the show... but was before hand, and actually had to tell me.

"I'm still interested in watching the show after this."

As in.... "Despite not enjoying the movie. I'm still interested in see the movie."

I wasn't really referring to people who already had an interest in the show.

I was saying that people who are like "EWW PONIES", might be more curious in watching the show after seeing it actually isn't super girly.

Just now, Firedog said:

I wasn't really referring to people who already had an interest in the show.

I was saying that people who are like "EWW PONIES", might be more curious in watching the show after seeing it actually isn't super girly.

Hmm.. Thing is... It IS super girly...

It just also has stuff that offsets that.

That being said.

I still don't think it would work as well as just showing them the episodes. After all, if you can get them to watch a movie they are just as if not more likely to watch the episodes. (Does not require the be in public)

But again I will ask my brother in law.

1 minute ago, blackstarraven said:

Hmm.. Thing is... It IS super girly...

I don't find it to be super girly... As in, just for little girls...

This is about what I thought the show would be like before I saw it

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Firedog said:

I don't find it to be super girly... As in, just for little girls...

This is about what I thought the show would be like before I saw it

Thats not JUST super girly.. That's super girly and VAPID... Also low quality.

-

I suppose super girly would be a pretty strong statement.

I never thought it was going to be super girly.

I also knew that it was not going to be like that coming in... but only because it was a faust project.... I knew it was going to be PowerPuff girls with ponies.

I.E. Yes still girly. (I.E. For girls)

But its not JUST for girls....

And that is something I feel we forget as a audience. The show IS for little girls.

Faust was always just really clear that it should not be enjoyably girly for anyone else watching. (I.E.... That link)

Just like some stuff can be boyish and not be terrible for girls to watch. (Like TMNT vs ... G.I. Joe) One is enjoyable silly, the other is crap and always has been.

But yes you are right. Its not SUPER girly.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the movie really clarifies what makes the show great. It's a lot noisier than the show, and focuses much more on action while largely neglecting the character work which personally made me care about the show in the first place. I really think someone who's introduced to My Little Pony through the movie will think it's just another run-of-the-mill kids' show. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

I would say no. You don't really get a sense of what the show is actually about watching the movie. It's a fairly standard adventure and much of the characters' depth that makes them so appealing is forgone in favor of fitting more settings and characters into it. 

• 4 years later...

No - the movie is not great but it's OK. If G4 didn't exist and I never saw the previous gens AND this one wanted to introduce me to the fandom: I would never be interested in it, it's a bit mediocre in my opinion.

In my opinion the best way to enjoy the show is to watch it from the very beginning. The characters make so many references, it's way more enjoyable to know what they always talk about. Twilight Sparkle also wasn't entirely herself in the movie since she was under a lot of pressure and it could give the wrong impression of her.

• Brohoof 2

I think it absolutely isn't.

A lot of story and lore elements are established in previous seasons, and he who hasn't seen those is going into the Movie pretty blind. It's more of a big mid-season special. As something standalone it doesn't work. You need to watch previous seasons to truly enjoy it.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

It would completely spoil Alicorn Twilight but otherwise

Looking up "MLP" on Youtube would spoil Alicorn Twilight, nowadays. Thanks, Hasbro compilation videos! :P

---

I think that the movie is simple enough that showing someone who wants to give MLP a try would be fine. 

I don't think the movie works well as an introduction to the main characters, therefore you will be diminishing your enjoyment due to the lack of background regarding these unknown ponies and their predicament. I think it is better to familiarize oneself with the characters before watching the movie. So, you can, you know, "care" about them.

• Brohoof 3