Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will toonboom animation move to the show?

Firedog

I mean didn't they already pay to create the assets for toonboom?

While I don't think it's likely, I think it would be pretty cool. I like the toonboom animation a lot better.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Firedog

Probably not.

However I would be all for whatever the next animated installment of the MLP franchise, whether it be G5 or G4.5 using this animation style.

I also have to agree that I prefer the Toonboom animation to the show's typical use of flash animation.

• Brohoof 2

While we may very well see a Animation bump, it will not be 'movie' quality.

Mostly because while the assets have been made, the computing power is still not there.

-

Its like getting a new generation game, but then having to run it a medium graphics. Its still going to look better, but not as good as it could.

10 minutes ago, Firedog said:

I mean didn't they already pay to create the assets for toonboom?

Just the ones in the film. They didn't create anything for Ponyville locations, and good amount of characters. They would need years of lead time to switch while still making the current show 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Just the ones in the film. They didn't create anything for Ponyville locations, and good amount of characters. They would need years of lead time to switch while still making the current show 

Not to mention an increased budget; I would believe. I don't it would be cheap to switch from Flash to ToonBoom for a 26 episode season.

• Brohoof 1

As others have said, I'm not sure the show could afford the level of detail seen in the movie. And personally, I'm not a fan of the Toonboom style, so I'm kinda glad for that; I really think the show looks lovely as is and doesn't need the upgrade to a more expensive art style. 

• Brohoof 2

Never even heard of Toonboom before this, but looking it up, the software alone does look quite a ways more expensive than what a copy of Adobe Flash + the other resources could ever entail.

So, unless the show were to get a much larger budget, no.

I'm going to have to say a big fat NO to the possibility of Toonboom becoming the new animation software, not because I dislike it, I think it looks really cool, but it makes more economical sense for the show to continue animating their normal TV episodes in flash, simply because its worked pretty good for the past seven seasons, and if something is working good and its cheaper than other options, why change it?   

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm going to have to say a big fat NO to the possibility of Toonboom becoming the new animation software, not because I dislike it, I think it looks really cool, but it makes more economical sense for the show to continue animating their normal TV episodes in flash, simply because its worked pretty good for the past seven seasons, and if something is working good and its cheaper than other options, why change it?   

I highly agree. If it isn't broken, why fix it? 

Toonboom might be the future for a fair bit of animations both new and old, but I don't see it being anytime soon, and possibly not at all for MLP, at least not this generation.

Maybe it's just me but something felt really off about the new animation style in the movie as well. Not to say that it was really bad or anything, I think I've just grown so accustomed to watching the flash animation continuously improve so seeing something so different wasn't really expected.

I personally prefer good old flash for it's consistency and I feel they'll stay with what's worked for them so far. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" basically

Edited by Flutt3rTree
  • Brohoof 1

I hated the animation change, and consider it to be an absolutely heinous betrayal.  I almost boycotted the movie due to this, but decided to go anyway, mostly because I had spent a very long time constructing an EG Rainbow cosplay to wear to the movie, and I really wanted to complete that quest.  I know I am all alone in my opinions regarding the toonboom animation, a fact which haunts me to no end.  I said before that I have no right to put this on anyone else--I do not wish to complain about others and imply that any of you have some obligation to share my opinion.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I harbor no animosity towards any one person for liking toonboom.  But I cannot help the way I feel, and I guess I find it extremely troubling that I seem to be the ONLY person who hated the change, with precious few exceptions.  ...Actually, *reading*... there's a few people in this thread who dislike it, so that' makes me feel better.

I really think it was a complete betrayal to the fans to make that change.  Fancy-ing up the animation is one thing--that's fine, and I expected and welcomed it.  More dynamic lighting, more camera angles, maybe a higher frame rate, that sort of thing.  But what I found so despicable about the change is that it completely altered the way the characters looked.  It just didn't look like them anymore.  They were fan art interpretations.  They were drastically overhauled with massive changes to things like eye shape, muzzle shape, ear shape, etc.  Yes, they were still basically the same overall characters, but even subtle changes cause them to look drastically different.  This is all part of our highly tuned, specifically evolved and sophisticated facial recognition ability.  This is the difference between the real ponies and a fairly unskilled fan artist taking their first whack at drawing them, and you think, "Well, yeah, I can tell that that's supposed to be Twilight, but, y'know, it's not really her."  It's in the faces.  It wasn't them.  It simply wasn't them.  The ponies have a distinct look to them, and they completely altered it.  Some fared better than others.  I think Twilight looked more off than the others.  Spike is the only one that escaped with his dignity.  He actually looked okay.  The animations seemed to vary wildly to me.  Some shots and some facial expressions looked...almost normal.  Somewhat passable.  But for the most part, they just looked horrible to me.  I looked so hard for my precious ponies, and I couldn't see them in there anywhere.

In my opinion, it is wrong to drastically change the appearance of an established character.  Increasing the quality as technology improves in fine, but completely overhauling the character's basic shape is unacceptable.  This destroys who the character is.  I realize that mine is an extremely unpopular opinion, and yet, I still cannot for the life of me understand why almost no one feels the way I do.  I really thought there would have been an almost unanimous outrage about the change.  Again, I apologize, and I know it's my problem and no one else's.

FIM was built around a specific look and animation style.  It gave the show a unique charm.  The look of the show certainly seemed to hit the right notes, because it sure as hell struck a chord with many, many people who were initially drawn in by the show's beautiful style.  I hold that dramatically changing that style was nothing short of exterminating FIM's soul, and in my mind, the movie was dead before it was ever released.

So, obviously, if they change the show's animation style, I'm out.

Well, hopefully once there's some distance from the release and the movie's legacy is settled the fans and crew will be more willing to recognize that this wasn't the best direction to take

Edited by n1029

No. While I haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't outright hate the movie's art style, the facial structure at least, looks too much like G3. And, as others are saying, Toonboom would be far too expensive.