Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E25+E26 - Shadow Play

Hierok

What are your thoughts on this episode?  

166 users have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on this episode?

• I hated these episodes
    • I disliked these episodes
    • I thought thes episode were decent, but not great
    • I liked these episodes
    • I loved these episodes

Ho . . . ly . . . . shit. That was amazing! :pinkie: 

I know I'm late to the game on this but hot damn was this worth it. 

First of all, the foreshadowing was great. I really missed this when building to the season finale was done by sprinkling in little bits of lore, world-building, or other information. Starswirl's journal way back when the Crystal Empire first re-emerged, the keys, even the Grand Galloping Gala. (Isn't that a blast from the past?) It also felt organic. Somnambula and Meadowbrook were both a part of history and left behind legacies that were brought up as background details in episodes not neccesarily related to them as characters. Whereas Mistmane, Flash Magnus, and Rockhoof, were exposited on AS legends that focused on them. Of course we've known about Starswirl since all the way back in Season 2. They didn't bring them up all at the same time.

Of course not leaving out that this kind of shit just pushes my buttons. Pre-cursor heroes. Revealing that the heroes we follow now are part of a legacy left behind by other great heroes. It's an appealing meta narrative, that as old heroes die, new ones arise in surprisingly similar conditions to fill in the job. Helped by the fact that the Pillars are just interesting characters in their own right. Okay, they don't have the same depth as the Six we love, that's just bound to happen when you have A season with a few cameos versus seven seasons and counting of character development.

On that note, it was nice to see the Mane Six all together again. Each one of them was given a moment to shine and even showcased their growth. Rainbow Dash using actual cunning, Fluttershy sneaking in a sort of snide joke but not really, etc. Maybe it's just because I was on a bit of a hiatus but it felt like forever since it wasn't just Starlight and Twilight or Spike or the CMC. (Not that I mind those guys at all.) Speaking of being all together though, I liked seeing the Pillars interact with each other. It's sort of a Jason and the Argonauts or more relevantly Avengers sort of feeling. You hear about these big legends and their amazing feats only to have them meet and bounce off each other. Except with a further twist, it turns out that the Argonauts not only already know each other, they're friends. Just something I find very heartwarming in that Fellowship of the Ring style camaraderie that arose out of saving the world just as much as simply being friends. Though one need not be the end or beginning of the other.

I also liked Stygian. Side note: why the Hell would you call yourself "the Pony of Shadows" if you're given name is Stygian!? The river of the Underworld?! Which we know exists in this world! Anyway. First of all the animation on him was spectacular, how he shaped himself like an inky mist. Second of all I liked his design, a sort of Nightmare Moon Sombra hybrid thing going on. See that's how you do a hybrid villain, looking at you Storm King! :okiedokieloki: I also liked that he was sort of the one that brought them together. He was the Jason in my Argonauts metaphor or you could call him the Nick Fury/Coulson in the Avengers example. Or to bring it back to the Fellowship, the Frodo. I like how he said he came up with plans and did research. That's a cool image that Stygian was the brains of the operation, in the command tent coordinating his friends. That he felt underappreciated as the relatively normal guy amid legends kind of strikes a familiar cord. We sure SPIKE isn't the one who should have talked to him?

Anyway, I even like how casually the ending flips the status quo. The Elements have returned (though they never really left so to speak.) And so have the Pillars. You'd think with these now living legends they'd be too cool to keep around but that's clearly not the case. I wonder how their living descendants or followers are going to react.

In any case. I'm finally caught up . . . with the show itself. Now to get back to EQG . . . oh joy. How many movies are we on now?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm still wondering about what Starswirl said. 'Once a villain, always a villain'.

How could he befriend Scorpan, who was intentionally a villain, with that motivation? :ooh:

Edited by O3o o3O

3 hours ago, Hierok said:

I'm still wondering about what Starswirl said. 'Once a villain, always a villain'.

How could he befriend Scorpan, who was intentionally a villain, with that motivation? :ooh:

Scorpan quickly learned to love Equestria, he never seemed evil like Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Hierok said:

I think in that particular instance he was only referring to Stygian. Perhaps feeling betrayed or that Scorpan was won over from the side of evil, whereas Stygian was an ally who turned against them. (From his perspective.) So one could make the argument that Scorpan saw the light and (again from Starswirl's perspective) Stygian chose his path.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Scorpan quickly learned to love Equestria, he never seemed evil like Tirek.

Could be, but they were enemies right? Starswirl showed in this episode he first wants to take actions and if he did the same to Scorpan and attack him, it's very weird they had befriended each other. :ooh:

13 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

I think in that particular instance he was only referring to Stygian. Perhaps feeling betrayed or that Scorpan was won over from the side of evil, whereas Stygian was an ally who turned against them. (From his perspective.) So one could make the argument that Scorpan saw the light and (again from Starswirl's perspective) Stygian chose his path.

I did not thing of that. That makes sense to me. I hope we see a bit more from Starswirl in season 8 and his actions. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I don't like the starswirl we see here. Not only is he arrogant, dismissive of others, and fast to jump to conclusions, you have to wonder if he is projecting - ascribing such horrible motives to Stygian, despite it being Stygian who gathered the pillars in the first place, because in Stygian's place HE would have done that, which doesn't reflect well on him.

Celestia said Twi had earned her wings because Starswirl didn't understand friendship as she did; we may be seeing the truth of this here.

8 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I don't like the starswirl we see here. Not only is he arrogant, dismissive of others, and fast to jump to conclusions, you have to wonder if he is projecting - ascribing such horrible motives to Stygian, despite it being Stygian who gathered the pillars in the first place, because in Stygian's place HE would have done that, which doesn't reflect well on him.

Celestia said Twi had earned her wings because Starswirl didn't understand friendship as she did; we may be seeing the truth of this here.

Thing is, I don't think we're supposed to like him for exactly those reasons. Twilight herself says she was so obsessed with what Starswirl could teach her that she had forgotten when she learned. In this case, that she had largely already surpassed him. If Starswirl showed up and was magnanimous and forgiving, there wouldn't have been a story.

@Steel Accord

About Starswirl befriending Scropan, but claiming "Once a Villain" thing with Stygain:

It's simple to fix the plothole the guy mentioned earlier. When Starswirl befriend Scropan, it was mostly implied that Scropan saw StarSwirl as a friend even though the Wizard likely didn't think much of it. All that happened long BEFORE Stygain became the POS. The Tree of Harmony was planted just before the imprisonment of POS. So no Tree during Scropan's conmingleing with the ponies.

And of course, since SS and the others were self-imprisoned during such a dark time in the history of Equestria and the lands beyond, they would have a narrow viewpoint having just "woke up" and missed over 1000 years of progress and change in the Realm. 

Doesn't that make sense, @Steel Accord?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I guess this was the point of, not only the episode but the whole MLP series, they're making twilight and celestia overrated, I mean let's be honest, Starswirl was the most powerful 'magician' throughout the whole franchise and then he ends up as an arrogant stallion who doesn't understand friendship and stuff like that, seriously?

His element is sorcery, and I do believe that he makes a nice reference to some of the greatest minds of mankind (in this case the biggest mind of equestria) aswell as I doubt that such a great mind will end up as an ignorant person/pony who will deny his students' advices to save the whole equestria. I seriously thought that they'll make Starswirl way much better, since he was such a important pony in the MLP series.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

It's simple to fix the plothole the guy mentioned earlier. When Starswirl befriend Scropan, it was mostly implied that Scropan saw StarSwirl as a friend even though the Wizard likely didn't think much of it. All that happened long BEFORE Stygain became the POS.

Not even necessarily a plothole in that sense considering it was a recollection by Celestia-a friendship biased third party-that said Scorpan befriended him. But let's be honest it's not that Starswirl was and always has been some grumpy old wizard. He's not some shut in that hates socializing, otherwise how would he have had such a prominence back then, or even been trusted to teach the royal princesses? No for Starswirl it's all about impressions and staying true to that first impression. Scorpan had already befriended the ponies. So he already has a positive first impression established with those around him. Now if Scorpan were to turn around and betray the ponies now that's a different story. It's all about who shot first for him. Sirens invade and first impression: they manipulate their lifestyle with evil intentions. Conclusion-evil.

Now for Stygian, he hada good first impression. He gathered warriors to defend the land. Not much he can say for the lad being as physically useless as he is but he's done well for the group. Now when he betrays the group, Starswirl and the rest of the pillars are faced with a crossroad which they will not choose until that second impression. Somnambula says it herself "We always thought he'd return and seek forgiveness. But when we saw him again, his heart was bent on revenge. He dashed even my hope of saving him" That's the impression that makes the character the villain in the end.

Finally even compare that to his first impression of Twilight. This is an alicorn who when he first meets her learns she recklessly reversed his spell showing she does not have as much discipline in magical studies as he does so he is of course from this impression going to be cautious around her especially when she proposes use in magic. It's tough to say how big a head he really has considering all it took were random ponies backing her up and Meadowbrook voicing her opinion. While the haughty attitude is and probably has been there throught his life are we really going to throw his better preconceived judgements at him. Really that's how all of Equestria works is it's all about impressions and follow-up ones if that first positive one goes sour. Good first impression and stay consistent, you're golden. Give a good first impression that you spoil later, just bounce back in their favor and they are less harsh. Don't and well...there's where his mindset comes from.

Edited by KH7672

Just now, KH7672 said:

Not even necessarily a plothole in that sense considering it was a recollection by Celestia-a friendship biased third party-that said Scorpan befriended him. But let's be honest it's not that Starswirl was and always has been some grumpy old wizard. He's not some shut in that hates socializing, otherwise how would he have had such a prominence back then, or even been trusted to teach the royal princesses? No for Starswirl it's all about impressions and staying true to that first impression. Scorpan had already befriended the ponies. So he already has a positive first impression established with those around him. Now if Scorpan were to turn around and betray the ponies now that's a different story. It's all about who shot first for him. Sirens invade and first impression: they manipulate their lifestyle with evil intentions. Conclusion-evil.

Now for Stygian, he hada good first impression. He gathered warriors to defend the land. Not much he can say for the lad being as physically useless as he is but he's done well for the group. Now when he betrays the group, Starswirl and the rest of the pillars are faced with a crossroad which they will not choose until that second impression. Somnambula says it herself "We always thought he'd return and seek forgiveness. But when we saw him again, his heart was bent on revenge. He dashed even my hope of saving him" That's the impression that makes the character the villain in the end.

Finally even compare that to his first impression of Twilight. This is an alicorn who when he first meets her learns she recklessly reversed his spell showing she does not have as much discipline in magical studies as he does so he is of course from this impression going to be cautious around her especially when she proposes use in magic. It's tough to say how big a head he really has considering all it took were random ponies backing her up and Meadowbrook voicing her opinion. While the haughty attitude is and probably has been there throught his life are we really going to throw his better preconceived judgements at him. Really that's how all of Equestria works is it's all about impressions and follow-up ones if that first positive one goes sour. Good first impression and stay consistent, you're golden. Give a good first impression that you spoil later, just bounce back in their favor and they are less harsh. Don't and well...there's where his mindset comes from.

Really good points. Good night and a pleasant tomorrow.

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Somnambula's words does build to they were willing to give him a second chance but he came back doubling down as a villain. Maybe the whole ordeal might have been the impact to have Starswirl's once a villain always villain thing.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Steel Accord

About Starswirl befriending Scropan, but claiming "Once a Villain" thing with Stygain:

It's simple to fix the plothole the guy mentioned earlier. When Starswirl befriend Scropan, it was mostly implied that Scropan saw StarSwirl as a friend even though the Wizard likely didn't think much of it. All that happened long BEFORE Stygain became the POS. The Tree of Harmony was planted just before the imprisonment of POS. So no Tree during Scropan's conmingleing with the ponies.

And of course, since SS and the others were self-imprisoned during such a dark time in the history of Equestria and the lands beyond, they would have a narrow viewpoint having just "woke up" and missed over 1000 years of progress and change in the Realm. 

Doesn't that make sense, @Steel Accord?

Of course it does, the fact that Equestria is much safer and brighter by the modern day is a minor plot point in the episode when Stygian seeks places of dark magic to regain his strength. Several places the Pillars remember as dangerous and dark are what we now call Appleloosa and Manehatten. It passes by in a blink but it's actually kind of nice to hear for once "the modern world is better than antiquity." In similar stories about ancient or otherwise far removed powers from the "normal" world returning, the villain usually blends in better as some kind of statement that modern man has turned into virtues what were once vices. Seeing that flipped, if only for a second, where the villain is hopelessly anachronistic and actually weakened in a modern world of harmony, was refreshing. Plus it made the Pillars sacrifice retroactively worth it.

2 hours ago, Cyralicious said:

I guess this was the point of, not only the episode but the whole MLP series, they're making twilight and celestia overrated, I mean let's be honest, Starswirl was the most powerful 'magician' throughout the whole franchise and then he ends up as an arrogant stallion who doesn't understand friendship and stuff like that, seriously?

His element is sorcery, and I do believe that he makes a nice reference to some of the greatest minds of mankind (in this case the biggest mind of equestria) aswell as I doubt that such a great mind will end up as an ignorant person/pony who will deny his students' advices to save the whole equestria. I seriously thought that they'll make Starswirl way much better, since he was such a important pony in the MLP series.

I can't tell if that's praise or critique.

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

All really good points and you also touch upon one I like. Even if Starswirl "didn't understand friendship" it's quite clear that he has friends. Even if he's that friend that's kind of a jerk and the other Pillars are the kinds of buddies that just put up with his crap because they know his heart is in the right place. So it's not like the very concept of friendship was foreign to him, he just verged on the Saruman side of "it's the small things that keep the darkness at bay." As in, "cuddles and talks aren't going to save the day, we need nuclear dimension talismans, fast!" 

Edited by Steel Accord

Princess Celestia and Luna tend to get shown as being weak once in a while. Luna mentions about an essay they never turned in, as a joke. Stygain little stunt which forced Starswirl to disappear means Celestia and Luna training was never properly finished.

Celestia and Luna may have been stronger if they were able to finish their training under Starswirl.

Edited by Singe

After watching "Analyst Bronies React: Season 7 Finale "Shadow Play", I can understand many of the points that they made.  However, if you really think about it, Starswirl was just as much to blame for what happen as Twilight.  Now you may ask, "How can that be?" Well, when you think about it, if he had placed a note in his journal, telling whoever came across it, not to reverse the spell, maybe the Mane 6 would've been more cautious about it. 

Now let's say Twilight still wanted to reverse the spell, she could've done it in a way, that like in the S4 premiere , she could've put her own spin on it, and like later on in Part 2 of "Shadow Play", assumes she's figured out a way to bring the Pillars back without the Pony of Shadows, only to have it backfire, for example,  when it at first it seems to have work, and even Starswirl seems impressed, but as they start to leave Ponhenge along with the Pillars, that's when the lighting hits and the Pony of Shadows emerges, and as they all turn around and see this, that's when Twilight realizes her own spin on the spell failed.

Another thing is, if they wanted to involve Celestria and Luna a bit more, they could've had Starswirl teach them (back in the past) not opening or reverse any kind of spell that's meant to protect Equestria, and then have them pass it on to their future students.

One thing some fans have taken issue with, is Starlight being the voice of reason, and basically being the one that saw the bigger picture of the situation and realized that there was possibly more to this than what was being telegraphed. 

And the reason that was, was because she was using her past experiences as an antagonist and what she had learned as Twilight's Student to realize that they were only getting one side of the story and not the other, and when they finally did get that side of the story, the reaction of the Pillars and StarSwirl was one of, "Oops! We Fu**Yeah** upped!

Because they realized that hear their friend out on his reasoning for taking their items, and his reasoning, was because he wanted to help them in battle.  And Starlight's reaction towards when this revelation was made, was one of, "See, Stygin was ready to talk and explain his actions"

One other thing, is some fans may not like the fact, that it took towards the end of part 2 for her friends to stick up for Twilight, but my guess, is they love and respected Twilight enough, as to not confront Starswirl's berating of her, that was until he didn't even get a look see or consideration to her proposed plan/spell, and guess that was moment that the rest of the Mane 6 were basically "Enough of this berating crap of our friend!"

So overall, yes!, "Shadow Play" was/is possibly one of the best Season Finale's the Show has done.  But yet there are issue's here and there, that some members of the fanbase will take issue with, either positively or negatively.

But those are just my thoughts. What did you guys think of what I had to say? Take Care! 

It makes wonder how these Ancient and I mean Ancient ponies are going to fit into the story's world now?

They've been trapped in a place where time stands still, now that they're back how will time affect them? I mean they're more Ancient than Celestia and Luna.

This season finale was an awesome adventure and very interesting how Twilight and Starlight showed up Ol' Genius StarSwirl the Bearded with a little friendship. 

I'm glad the Elements didn't need to be sacrificed and that nopony had to be banished in the end. To be honest, StarSwirl can be such a grump.

Edited by Sweetriff
  • Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, Sweetriff said:

It makes wonder how these Ancient and I mean Ancient ponies are going to fit into the story's world now?

They've been trapped in a place where time stands still, now that they're back how will time affect them? I mean they're more Ancient than Celestia and Luna.

This season finale was an awesome adventure and very interesting how Twilight and Starlight showed up Ol' Genius StarSwirl the Bearded with a little friendship. 

I'm glad the Elements didn't need to be sacrificed and that nopony had to be banished in the end. To be honest, StarSwirl can be such a grump.

Yeah I was actually shocked that everything worked out. Not that the Shadow was defeated, that was obviously going to happen. Just that they got the Elements back and the Pillars didn’t need to pull any ultimate sacrifice.

It might be both an adjustment and a relief to them. On the one hoof, Equestria was a lot more dangerous back then from what we see of their flashbacks, so not having to rough it as much might take some getting used to. On the other hoof, it does mean that all they did actually had a net postitive result that they were prepared to not live to see yet now can. So sort of a nice reward.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, Steel Accord said:

Yeah I was actually shocked that everything worked out. Not that the Shadow was defeated, that was obviously going to happen. Just that they got the Elements back and the Pillars didn’t need to pull any ultimate sacrifice.

It might be both an adjustment and a relief to them. On the one hoof, Equestria was a lot more dangerous back then from what we see of their flashbacks, so not having to rough it as much might take some getting used to. On the other hoof, it does mean that all they did actually had a net postitive result that they were prepared to not live to see yet now can. So sort of a nice reward.

Those are some very insightful words good brony I thought the part about seeing the old Legends getting to see the elements of Harmony in action is pretty cool too, especially since now we know it was they who created the Elements of Harmony.  I guess they did just get lucky that Celestia, Luna, and the Mane 6 were able to defend Equestria and eventually get lucky enough for Sunburst to find StarSwirls journal in his antique barrel. (How it ended up there the world may never know.) Thus setting things in motion for Twilight to figure it out and I agree with Starlight, that banishing something doesn't always solve the problem, it just saves it for another day.  

5 hours ago, Sweetriff said:

Those are some very insightful words good brony I thought the part about seeing the old Legends getting to see the elements of Harmony in action is pretty cool too, especially since now we know it was they who created the Elements of Harmony.  I guess they did just get lucky that Celestia, Luna, and the Mane 6 were able to defend Equestria and eventually get lucky enough for Sunburst to find StarSwirls journal in his antique barrel. (How it ended up there the world may never know.) Thus setting things in motion for Twilight to figure it out and I agree with Starlight, that banishing something doesn't always solve the problem, it just saves it for another day.  

Well to address one of those points, literally the most powerful, dangerous, and evil item in the world came into the possession of a simple Hobbit who squirreled the thing away for decades as a personal knick knack once. So, a magically preserved book somehow winding up in the back shelf of an antique shop doesn’t seem that far fetched by comparison.

Edited by Steel Accord

I finally got around to watching 25 and 26 of season 7. (Perfect time, since I have no desire to watch the Superbowl!) .

I liked how Starswirl was depicted as not being the friendliest of ponies. It was this lack that left the spell unfinished that led to Twilight's becoming a Princess when she finished it for him. It was fitting that she then taught him the power of friendship by reclaiming Stygain instead of taking the easier path of banishing him with Shadow.

I loved how Twilight fearlessly entered the Shadow when she discovered Stygain still retained his integrity as a normal pony. I loved how her student, Starlight led Twilight to understand that banishment wasn't always the answer.

Who else loved the flashback to the Sirens?

(Now maybe I'll watch the movie! I've been saving it for when I finished season seven!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I am tired of the Starlight Haters saying Starlight saved the day. If they listened to her in the first place and didn't release the Pony of Shadows, then she would have saved the day (but not really).

Well that's more falling into the stigma that she was right all along and every other character was wrong. Which at that point she was right. Not releasing the pillars wouldn't have changed anything. As for saving the day, that you are correct she did not save the day. If they completely ignored her and went on with the banishing plan, Equestria would still be saved, they just would have lost Stygian and the Elements. She helped to achieve the better ending but the day would have been saved either way. Still that again leads to that idea that of couse Starlight is written in to give the best ending to every character, that the episode can't end happily without her and then the dislike feels justified again. I personally see it as contributing to the group dynamic, giving her a place in the final outcome.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, Steel Accord said:

Well to address one of those points, literally the most powerful, dangerous, and evil item in the world came into the possession of a simple Hobbit who squirreled the thing away for decades as a personal knick knack once. So, a magically preserved book somehow winding up in the back shelf of an antique shop doesn’t seem that far fetched by comparison.

This is true my friend, very true. B) 

• Brohoof 1