Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do people celebrate Halloween in your country?

Telferi

Yep!

Kids go trick-or-treating, dress up, and I make the house look it's best because I am obsessed with Halloween. Last year, I planned my Halloween costume a year in advance. Not many kids used to come to our street, and usually ended up in more familiar or famous parts of town. (There's a street that's 100% decked out for the holidays. There's haunted houses and they give out the King Size candy bars). Which I don't really blame. But ever since my family got our super tall vampire inflatable thingie more kids have come over!

I'm even allowed to wear my costume to school and work! 

In Lithuania we have a similar festival with masks, called Užgavėnės. This is kind of our "Winter Wrap-Up", :) celebrated 7 weeks before Easter. Everyone eats pancakes, there is a fight between the fat man and hemp man, burning of a doll made out of various fabrics, while chanting "Žiema, žiema, bėk iš kiemo" (Winter, winter, run from the yard).

However, kids going to random houses is kind of weird, so I am pretty sure it's not done, at least not where I live or lived when I was a kid.

Halloween has recently come to my country, but, from what I have seen, instead of kids and masks, it's young adults and alcohol (pretty much an excuse to party).

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

I'm pretty sure in Australia, we do. I've heard people down our street trick-or-treating. My family doesn't celebrate Halloween. I think it's because we are just too busy for such things since the day generally lands on a school day.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Halloween is not traditionally celebrated in Germany, but his has changed and is changing. When I was a child Halloween was only known from movies/books etc. No one disguised themself or gave out Candy. There is something called "Karneval" or "Fasching" in February where you do these two things. In the last .. I don't know 15 to 20 years, Halloween was celebrated by more and more people. Nowadays (before Corona) it's also quite common to have Halloween parties and Children coming to your house and asking for candy.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Astral Soul said:

Halloween is not traditionally celebrated in Germany, but his has changed and is changing. When I was a child Halloween was only known from movies/books etc. No one disguised themself or gave out Candy. There is something called "Karneval" or "Fasching" in February where you do these two things. In the last .. I don't know 15 to 20 years, Halloween was celebrated by more and more people. Nowadays (before Corona) it's also quite common to have Halloween parties and Children coming to your house and asking for candy.

I'm surprised to hear that there are western countries who don't seriously celebrate Halloween. Actually, it might surprise everybody else that our strictly American holiday, Thanksgiving, is not celebrated as strongly as the other holidays.

• Brohoof 2

On 2020-02-01 at 11:42 PM, Pentium100 said:

However, kids going to random houses is kind of weird, so I am pretty sure it's not done, at least not where I live or lived when I was a kid.

I agree. It is weird, but many decades ago the average American was more neighborly and upstanding, and personal responsibility was more important. Nowadays there is an abundance of caution.

• Brohoof 2

Yes and the town I live in has a ridiculous trick-or-treat timeframe: 3:00pm - 7:00pm

Kids can’t have fun anymore, apparently.

Yeah, Irish settlers brought Samhain over to Scotland (as well as the Isle of Man),

which eventually evolved to Halloween from Scottish, Irish, and Manx people moving over to (mainly) the United States, and not being able to find turnips to make lanterns, so making them out of pumpkins as it was the best option available, and then the American variety eventually took over

• 1 year later...

Halloween isn't a big thing in Australia. You get a couple of kids that do trick-or-treating, but there's not much other than that.