Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro and Mattel Merger

Megas

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/11/hasbro-is-considering-mattel-takeover.html

Both companies saw a surge in stock prices when this was announced, with Mattel receiving a whopping 20% percent jump when they announced that Hasbro has brought up the idea of takeover. At a combined total of 16 billion in market value between the two, this would bring them right up to LEGO as biggest toy company in the world.

I don't know what to think of this...thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

Seems like a little too Monopoly like in my estimation. I haven't a Clue why they'd be doing something like this. If they're not careful, they'll be Sorry, you know, what with all the Trouble it would cause. 

• Brohoof 9

You know that moment in a film when a character says they have an idea to defeat someone, and you as an audience member know what the other side has planned and you know that the plan is going to end horribly ... 

That is what this reminds me of. A lot. 

Best case scenario, you pay more for toys and licensed property overhead is passed on at the source increasing streaming subscription costs and ticket costs. 

Worst case scenario, Disney pulls a Michael Corleone and eviscerates Hasbro, douses gasoline on their screaming body, lights the match, cooks hot dogs and pisses on their corpse, resurrects them with capital, and then places one of their own on whatever remains of their Board as a requirement to continue doing business with them. 

Don't fuck with Disney Hasbro. We all know what you're trying to do. This is the company that decided that their movies demand a premium for the privilege to collect money for them. Don't do it ... the mouse will win. 

Hasbro wants Mattel so they can force Disney into a better licencing deal because they think they would be that awesome together. Disney makes Lego dance ... and that's hard to do. This will end badly for Hasbro. 

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 4

I dunno why they are attempting to do this, but I'm not that sure if it's a good idea :huh: . For one part, it'd be awesome to see some pony Hot Wheels :squee: , but on the other hand, we'll be closer to a toy monopoly :huh: 

Hmmm... This could go either good or horribly wrong depending on factors beyond anyone's control. Then there's the elephant in the room where such a merger would create a powerful monopoly that could cause problems for much smaller toy companies.

• Brohoof 2

42 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Hmmm... This could go either good or horribly wrong depending on factors beyond anyone's control. Then there's the elephant in the room where such a merger would create a powerful monopoly that could cause problems for much smaller toy companies.

Just like other industries. You either have small independent and boutique companies, or behemoths. The middle is gutted in film, most gaming, books, and music ... admittedly to varying degrees. The difference is that the start up capital needed to make a line of toys if you are small is a higher barrier to entry than an indie musician and even indie game creators. The problem is that the middle tier is usually where the creative sweet spot is. You have more capital than a small company, but are able to still take risks and try new things. A great example was McFarlane Toys in the 90's. More clout and money than a small operation, but not anywhere near the size of the big companies. I remember when McFarlane Spawn figures and the Movie Maniacs line hit shelves. You would have never seen detailed sculpts on a adult property come out of the players at the time (Hasbro, Toy Biz, Galoob, and Mattel). 

Anyway, this happened in the early 90's when Hasbro nommed up Kenner, and in general things still worked out ok. As long as Hasbro doesn't get all arrogant and cocky things should be fine. 

Also, looking at some research for this post made me sad as I was reminded of the final fate of Galoob. 

Can we just skip to the end where everything is owned by Amazon and Google?

• Brohoof 2

47 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I just hope mlp will not suffer under this. :ooh:

I just hope WE won't suffer under this. Mattel is known for being significantly less tolerant of fan-made content than Hasbro. Mind you, as I understand it, Hasbro is going from strength to strength, while Mattel is languishing - if this is just lawyerspeak for "Hasbro buy out and borg Mattel" then it could be a good thing for fans of the Mattel properties...

Still... "My Little Barbie" *shudder*

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I just hope WE won't suffer under this. Mattel is known for being significantly less tolerant of fan-made content than Hasbro. Mind you, as I understand it, Hasbro is going from strength to strength, while Mattel is languishing - if this is just lawyerspeak for "Hasbro buy out and borg Mattel) then it could be a good thing for fans of the Mattel properties...

Still... "My Little Barbie" *shudder*

maxresdefault.jpgplease not.

• Brohoof 2

IT seems Mergers have become all the rage in recent years.  Not just the rumored Hasbro/Mattel merger, but also word has it that Disney may end up getting almost all of 21st Century Fox(The only thing that Disney won't get from Fox are its News Network AND the Sports Coverage)

16 hours ago, Jeric said:

Can we just skip to the end where everything is owned by Amazon and Google?

If this were to happen then the world would be doomed several times over.

On a serious note, what you said is a grim reminder of reality and how the business world works.

It seems like Hasbro may know what to properly do w/ Mattel, since Mattel hasn't really done much of note, especially in extending their IPs to film and TV.  With Hasbro's resources, there could be a future in TV or streaming for Masters Of the Universe and Monster High.  Just imagine Transformers Prime or MLP levels of production going into either show. It also could mean that Hasbro's toy line can get the type of design treatment that Mattel gives to their toys. And w/ IPs like Barbie, Masters, Monster High, Hot wheels, and a licensing deal w/ WWE, Hasbro could make a killing.

And it's best that they do make the purchase. Cause if they don't, their competition will. 

Wait a minute, Mattel is the same company the has the whole Monster High Dolls right?  So now Hasbro which is the same company that made the Equestria Girls brand in order to compete with the Monster High brand might actually own both now? 

That's weird.  I hope this doesn't make for a crossover

And to be perfectly honest I didn't expect this to happen, mainly because I expected Disney to buy out Mattel in order to compete with Hasbro instead.

Edited by cmarston1