Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Excessive Video Gaming Will Soon be Recognized as a Mental Disorder by the World Health Organization

Courageous Thunder Dash

So while watching the news this morning, I witnessed possibly the most I don't know what to call this news of all time. The World Health Organization will soon recognize "excessive video gaming" as a mental disorder. For me, as an avid gamer, this is a major insult to the gaming community. By doing this, the WHO will essentially cause a huge storm of discrimination and bigotry on the gaming community. We like to play video games simply because it's entertaining and it helps us de-stress. Others argue that it "keeps us away from society" and that "it always becomes an addiction", and other sort of Starlight Glimmer philosophies. I bet you this thread is gonna blow up sooner or later...

Links: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2017-12-26/excessive-video-gaming-to-be-named-mental-disorder-by-who

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/excessive-gaming-could-become-a-mental-disorder/article/2644377

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 5

Playing a lot of games is different from addiction I'm sure.

Though when you have to pay $50 for in-game currency on those mobile games, and racking hundreds of dollars in bills, that's sort of getting into actual addiction.

Edited by Toastypk

1 minute ago, Toastypk said:

Playing a lot of games is different from addiction I'm sure.

Though when you have to pay $50 for in-game currency on those mobile games, that's sort of getting into actual addiction.

And a lot of those war games on mobile force you to do just that. I'm on one of those war games, but haven't spent a single cent on it...but let me be honest...there are sooooo many strong people on that game and I know that they pour hundreds (and sadly even thousands) in that game...like it's those people that need help, but to say that every gamer "excessively plays video games" isn't gonna fly. There's even a petition to stop the WHO from taking this action. 

Oh, christ on a moped. Its video games cause violence 2: Electric Boogaloo.

the only thing that could cause people tp develop addictions are the excessive amounts of microtransactions the mobile app industry has. (FIGHT ME SMARTPHONE COMPANIES)

Games dont cause people to develope mental disorders, they are a form of enterainment used to have fun, is nothing sacred anymore?!

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Fennekin said:

Oh, christ on a moped. Its video games cause violence 2: Electric Boogaloo.

the only thing that could cause ponies tp develop addictions are the excessive amounts of microtransactions the mobile app industry has. (FIGHT ME SMARTPHONE COMPANIES)

Games dont cause ponies to develope mental disorders, they are a form of enterainment used to have fun, is nothing sacred anymore?!

Exactly! Now speaking of microtransactions, if there are any, I just buy the one thing that grants me access to all extra stuff, that's really it. I'm done and then I get to enjoy the new content as it gets updated. An example, The Crew where if you buy the Season Pass, you get all extra cars included in it, instead of buying single cars with real money, you get it all in the package. Does this single transaction make me have a mental disorder? No!

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Exactly! Now speaking of microtransactions, if there are any, I just buy the one thing that grants me access to all extra stuff, that's really it. I'm done and then I get to enjoy the new content as it gets updated. An example, The Crew where if you buy the Season Pass, you get all extra cars included in it, instead of buying single cars with real money, you get it all in the package. Does this single transaction make me have a mental disorder? No!

Oh, how about TVs? A lot of people watch tv?

internet? We all use the internet?

how about social media? Thats gotten out of hand, no?

its obviously the media has a grudge against video games. I think they should just go back to beating the partisan politics bush like they did for all of 2016.

• Brohoof 2

So does that mean any excessive behavior is a mental disorder? Can we file excessive drinking, chain smoking, compulsive shopping as disorders? What about being a workaholic? 

Can of worms. We've just opened a six pack of them.

• Brohoof 10

You know, now that I'm thinking about it a little, I don't know if something will come of this whether it's put in a definition or not, I really don't know.

There's a thing called the DSM-5, which is a catalog of diseases and disorders.

Anyone know Trypophobia? The fear of things with lots of holes? People report it a lot, but it hasnt been recognized by the DSM-5 officially. But people swear it's a thing.

And it could really be just another variation of addiction such as gambling. Gambling too much can negatively affect your life. And I'm sure that a bunch of big game players, though they play a lot, don't have it affect their health. But some might.

If you're trying to decide on definintions, I think it's just another form of addiction.

7 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

So does that mean any excessive behavior is a mental disorder? Can we file excessive drinking, chain smoking, compulsive shopping as disorders? What about being a workaholic? 

Can of worms. We've just opened a six pack of them.

that can of worms isnt a can.

its a bucking hole of worms deeper then then the Mariana Trench.

• Brohoof 1

Oh this is fantastic, lets take every gamer to ever compete in a tournament and throw them in an asylum, because clearly they're a threat to themselves and society for their excessive gaming. Next we'll go after the YouTube gamers, and Twitch streamers.

• Brohoof 1

This can extend to excessive anything. It's completely bunk, and I can see people who know nothing about why gamers game blowing it out of proportion.

If anyone should be 'treated' it's people who spend many thousands on gambling in video games when the rate of what you want is 0.001% but you keep throwing money at the screen knowing you won't have enough for food or housing. 

As long as you can function (school/work and taking care of yourself) and also get somewhere in the games you're playing, you're fine and this new diagnosis coming out shouldn't ever bother you. That's what I feel anyway.

My mom constantly says I'm addicted to games and internet. I can see her bringing it up to my therapist once she finds out about it, if she hasn't already. I have way more concerning problems (like her ruining my life and my therapist explaining to her so she would stop it) that I go to my therapist for

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Snowflake Frostflame said:

Oh this is fantastic, lets take every gamer to ever compete in a tournament and throw them in an asylum, because clearly they're a threat to themselves and society for their excessive gaming. Next we'll go after the PonYtube gamers, and Twitch streamers.

This is what I'm talking about, now virtually, EVO and other big gaming tournaments are at stake. 

• Brohoof 1

Declaring excessive gaming to be a psychological disorder is ignorant. Yes, anything can become a problem if it is done or consumed in excess. But that does not make it an addiction. It is only an addiction if it consumes your life to the point where everything you do revolves around games and it has a negative impact on your quality of life.

• Brohoof 2

It seems the World Health Organization is incredibly bored and just looking for something to healthify. Next they will say that breathing too much is a disorder. That's about the same levels of stupid as this. 

This also means that the super successful let's players will be making tons of money by contributing to this so called 'disorder'. Funny.

• Brohoof 8

24 minutes ago, Prospektlicious said:

Declaring excessive gaming to be a psychological disorder is ignorant. Eeyup, anything can become a problem if it is done or consumed in excess. But that does not make it an addiction. It is only an addiction if it consumes your life to the point where everything you do revolves around games and it has a negative impact on your quality of life.

Yes, we already have addictions and that's bad enough. This will cross the line. 

• Brohoof 3

36 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

It seems the World Health Organization is incredibly bored and just looking for something to healthify. Next they will say that breathing too much is a disorder. That's about the same levels of stupid as this. 

I was about to say the same thing. I think it's mainly about triggered soccer moms getting triggered by the fact video games exist.

I think this will probably only refer to those people that play so much that their infant children die from neglect. When you play so much it starts disrupting basic daily care and responsibility, it’s an addiction just like gambling and alcoholism, and IS a health disorder.

55 minutes ago, Celli said:

That is a load of bullshit. So what does it mean for people who play videogames?

It really doesn’t mean anything. You can’t be forced to seek treatment for any kind of health anything unless you’re a danger to others.

• Brohoof 7

6 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I think this will probably only refer to those people that play so much that their infant children die from neglect. When you play so much it starts disrupting basic daily care and responsibility, it’s an addiction just like gambling and alcoholism, and IS a health disorder.

It really doesn’t mean anything. You can’t be forced to seek treatment for any kind of health anything unless you’re a danger to others.

That's true.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Dear God, thank you for actually being a voice of reason in this thread. 

• Brohoof 5

12 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Yeah, I don't think the Gaming Community as a whole needs to be too worried. Just the ones that would become a danger to others.

Those gamers who live an otherwise normal life should be fine.

• Brohoof 4

The WHO defines the disorder as a "persistent or recurrent" behavior pattern of "sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning."

The disorder is characterized by "impaired control" with increasing priority given to gaming and "escalation," despite "negative consequences."

Basically, you play games and can hold a job and function without harm to yourself and others, your a normal Joe. Similar to a guy who drinks and isn't an alcoholic. 

Jesus guys. They aren't saying video games are bad. It's to allow clinicians to actually treat a specific condition without fear of malpractice or negligence, and to make your insurance actually pay for treatment. You can be mentally addicted to anything, but when something is seen often enough in a clinical setting, you have to categorize it and develop a specific treatment plan. 

• Brohoof 14