Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flash Sentry

BlueCoats

• The title was changed to Flash Sentry

To be honest, I never really thought he was as bad as people make him out to be.  Yes he hasn't been given a lot of depth, and yes his romance with princess Twilight wasn't handled very well, but after a certain point the vitriolic hate directed towards him just become obnoxious and excessive.

Thankfully he did get a little bit of character development in the Friendship Games short "A Banner Day" and in Legend of Everfree.  Hopefully the Youtube series can flesh out his character even more. 

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

To be honest, I never really thought he was as bad as people make him out to be.  Yes he hasn't been given a lot of depth, and yes his romance with princess Twilight wasn't handled very well, but after a certain point the vitriolic hate directed towards him just become obnoxious and excessive.

Thankfully he did get a little bit of character development in the Friendship Games short "A Banner Day" and in Legend of Everfree.  Hopefully the Youtube series can flesh out his character even more. 

But he waifu stealer!

Initially, he wasn't given much character development and was seen as a stereotypical jock-like character, but as the movies progressed, he was given that development he had been lacking, and this is especially true in Legend of Everfree. Granted, the romantic angle with Twilight was forced and was likely intended to see how the target audience would respond to it being a thing, but they moved away from it and now he has become much more sympathetic.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Yamet said:

I've never understood the hatred he gets. Sure, he isn't the most developed character ever but considering this fandom obsesses over characters like Derpy I don't really see the problem.  

The problem is that being the main character's love interest is a really important role in a story.  Flash Sentry does not do a good job of filling that role so his problems are put under a microscope.  As of LoE he seems to have moved on from that and as a result is starting to be a character with potential.

In contrast, Derpy is merely a funny background event character, and an important symbol of the older fandom and its relationship with the show.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Adderbane said:

The problem is that being the main character's love interest is a really important role in a story. 

You can acuse Flash of a lot of things, having an important role in the story is not one of them. Yeah, technically he's Twilight's love interest but they never do anything with it so I don't think that's a valid complaint.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Enough times that it actually becomes true?

After all, by the end of the fourth movie, he has given up on Twi, been shot down by SunShim, and totally ignored Derpy's feelings, yet again...

SciTwi, different personality remember.

I'm thinking Pony Princess Twilight Sparkle

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

You can acuse Flash of a lot of things, having an important role in the story is not one of them. Yeah, technically he's Twilight's love interest but they never do anything with it so I don't think that's a valid complaint.

That's the problem; he doesn't have an important role in the story, but looking at his role as Twilight's love interest he should.  If they weren't going to do anything with it, they shouldn't have given her a love interest.

Flash's reputation is more due to sloppy writing than his actual character (or lack thereof).

1 hour ago, Rainbow-The-Brony said:

SciTwi, different personality remember.

I'm thinking Pony Princess Twilight Sparkle

Consider the "tough love" SunShim gave Flash in #4 - That Twi was a pony princess, and that's where she was going to spend most of her time, and he should just get over her.

Next thing you see, Flash is making passes at SunShim again (another pony - what is with this guy?) and going down in flames. Of course Derpy is there to pat him on the shoulder, just as she was after SciTwi blanked him in the third movie...

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

Consider the "tough love" SunShim gave Flash in #4 - That Twi was a pony princess, and that's where she was going to spend most of her time, and he should just get over her.

Next thing you see, Flash is making passes at SunShim again (another pony - what is with this guy?) and going down in flames. Of course Derpy is there to pat him on the shoulder, just as she was after SciTwi blanked him in the third movie...

even tho he should know the portal exsist.

Just now, Rainbow-The-Brony said:

even tho he should know the portal exsist.

Not sure that works for non-ponies (other than Pinkie of course, but no rules apply to Pinkie)

But bottom line - unless he is willing to abandon his EqG form for a chance at being with Pony Twi, I don't think there is any real risk there. Now, given the bonding between Sunburst and Twi near the end of Season 7..... glods, but that episode was a shipyard.....