Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NASCAR/Auto Racing Discussion

Patty Thundersnow

I've seen a noted lack of discussions for NASCAR and auto racing fans on here, so i'm starting one up just in time for the Daytona 500 next Sunday. We can talk about NASCAR, bur we can also talk about other forms, like Indy, F1, or any other you'd like to talk about.

• Brohoof 2

I used to be a BIG NASCAR fan back in the day, but I've largely grown tired and burnt out with it since around 2010-2011. Anymore I tend to follow Formula 1 when it comes to circuit racing, but my passion is with rallying, desert racing, and rally raid.

2017 World Rally Championship

2017 Baja 1000 (desert race)

2018 Dakar Rally (rally raid)

• Brohoof 1

It's about time we got a formal auto racing thread open. :o

There are certainly a ton of motorsports fans here. Many, like myself, focus on NASCAR the most, but there are fans of other disciplines as well. I also enjoy open-wheel and drag racing, as well as endurance sports car races like Le Mans.

I've never been to a NASCAR Monster Energy Cup race, but I went to an Xfinity Series race back when it was still called the Busch Series. Also went to a bunch of events at my local short track, as well as an IndyCar race that was won by the late, great Dan Wheldon. And I've been to the NHRA's Mile High Nationals here in the Denver area before. :D Got to see some true legends of drag racing like Tony Schumacher and the Force family.

10 hours ago, Prospekt said:

It's about time we got a formal auto racing thread open. :o

There are certainly a ton of motorsports fans here. Many, like myself, focus on NASCAR the most, but there are fans of other disciplines as well. I also enjoy open-wheel and drag racing, as well as endurance sports car races like Le Mans.

I've never been to a NASCAR Monster Energy Cup race, but I went to an Xfinity Series race back when it was still called the Busch Series. Also went to a bunch of events at my local short track, as well as an IndyCar race that was won by the late, great Dan Wheldon. And I've been to the NHRA's Mile High Nationals here in the Denver area before. :D Got to see some true legends of drag racing like Tony Schumacher and the Force family.

I focus on the racing dislipines that have the most exposure in the US, which are NASCAR, Indycar, USAC, and Arca. I've always wanted to go to a USAC or Arca race, as the Illinois State and DuQuoin State Fairs each have USAC and ARCA races. But, I also have seen plenty of dirt track action at Macon Speedway in Macon, IL. Heck, I've even seen current NASCAR drivers when they were competing for experience there. 

I personally have never been to a "genuine" NASCAR race. Macon Speedway used to host NASCAR's weekly racing series, but now they do UMP (a division of the bigger DirtCar series). THere is one race that I"d love to go to, and that is the Camping World Truck series/ARCA double header at Gateway Motorsports Park in June.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I don't really know much about NASCAR :huh: ...but I am interested in the sport :squee: I'm more of a V8 Supercars fan B)

I do watch it from time to time on FOX SPORTS and I personally would like to see how a NASCAR goes up against a V8 Supercar :)

Here in Australia, there's an intense rivalry between Holden / Chevrolet and Ford...and the two of them are always going hammer and thong at each-other, both on and off the track... 

...and you were either going for one or the other. I used to be a die-hard Holden /Chevrolet fan back in the day, but I immediately changed sides after I bought a Ford Falcon XR8, which is basically a 4-door Mustang with a Supercharger :wat:  

...and yes, I've been to the race-track before and I gotta say: TV doesn't do it justice :confused:

I can't wait for the 2018 Season to start :love: I wanna see DJR Team Penske SMASH Reb Bull Holden Racing Team this year!!! :baconmane:

Edited by SolarFlare13
  • Brohoof 1

Finally a thread about NASCAR, I am hoping to see the #88 do well this season considering that I initially became a fan of Alex jokeably after the Chase/Denny incident but it ended up becoming for real not long before Dale retired.

• Brohoof 1

NASCAR is my oxygen, y'all should know that by now. :lol: 

Jimmie Johnson and Chase Elliott are my favorite drivers ever. Ryan Blaney is another favorite of mine. 

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

IMG_20180213_161623.thumb.jpg.c24ae6c8cf92e2c028f2e3d3b6e7c0a4.jpg

Now, if only I could find these.

Agreed! I wish someone would make these, changing the "sprint unlimited" to "The clash".

On 2/13/2018 at 7:23 AM, SolarFlare13 said:

Yeah, I don't really know much about NASCAR :huh: ...but I am interested in the sport :squee: I'm more of a V8 Supercars fan B)

I do watch it from time to time on FOX SPORTS and I personally would like to see how a NASCAR goes up against a V8 Supercar :)

Here in Australia, there's an intense rivalry between Holden / Chevrolet and Ford...and the two of them are always going hammer and thong at each-other, both on and off the track... 

...and you were either going for one or the other. I used to be a die-hard Holden /Chevrolet fan back in the day, but I immediately changed sides after I bought a Ford Falcon XR8, which is basically a 4-door Mustang with a Supercharger :wat:  

...and yes, I've been to the race-track before and I gotta say: TV doesn't do it justice :confused:

I can't wait for the 2018 Season to start :love: I wanna see DJR Team Penske SMASH Reb Bull Holden Racing Team this year!!! :baconmane:

I've seen a bit of the V8 Supercar series, heck a few years ago there were nascar drivers (I think) in the Bathhurst 1000 (or something like that). I think the Cup series would blow them out of the water (cup series cars have over 800 hp, but about 600 or so when restricted).

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

Agreed! I wish someone would make these, changing the "sprint unlimited" to "The clash".

I've seen a bit of the V8 Supercar series, heck a few years ago there were nascar drivers (I think) in the Bathhurst 1000 (or something like that). I think the Cup series would blow them out of the water (cup series cars have over 800 hp, but about 600 or so when restricted).

I personally would like to see a NASCAR do a lap around the Mount Panorama Bathurst circuit. I haven't seen them do that much circuit racing in america :huh: the only one I know is Watkins Glen and I know that fellow aussie Marcos Ambrose won his first NASCAR race there in 2012. They ALSO had a V8 Supercar race at the circuit of the America's back in 2013 AND they did a LIVE broadcast of the 2011 Bathurst 1000 in the US:

I will admit: it's pretty weird hearing the race from an American commentator's perspective :dash: ...and I'd like to see if they can match the V8 Supercar pace-for-pace around the tight stuff. While it may have all that power, I dunno if that'll be suitable around the corners. I know a NASCAR will out-pace a V8 Supercar on your typical oval track, but on an actual circuit??? :huh: I dunno about that :) 

Edited by SolarFlare13
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, SolarFlare13 said:

I personally would like to see a NASCAR do a lap around the Mount Panorama Bathurst circuit. I haven't seen them do that much circuit racing in america :huh: the only one I know is Watkins Glen and I know that fellow aussie Marcos Ambrose won his first NASCAR race there in 2012. They ALSO had a V8 Supercar race at the circuit of the America's back in 2013 AND they did a LIVE broadcast of the 2011 Bathurst 1000 in the US:

I will admit: it's pretty weird hearing the race from an American commentator's perspective :dash: ...and I'd like to see if they can match the V8 Supercar pace-for-pace around the tight stuff. While it may have all that power, I dunno if that'll be suitable around the corners. I know a NASCAR will out-pace a V8 Supercar on your typical oval track, but on an actual circuit??? :huh: I dunno about that :) 

There are actually plenty of tracks that the cup series race at that aren't ovals (Road America, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Sonoma, and Mid-Ohio being the current road course selection with the Charlotte "roval" coming in october... Bleh.)

and now, the starting lineup for the 60th Daytona 500 has been set. Ryan Blaney and Chase Elliott :yay: picked up the win in their races and picked up 10 points toward the championship. 7 drivers are going to backup cars after accidents during the races, including rookie William Byron and 2 time Daytona 500 winner Jimmie Johnson.

Other ontrack activities this weekend in Daytona are the season openers for the Camping World Truck Series Friday Night, and the Xfinity Series on Saturday afternoon.

Some updates to the ontrack activity thus far this weekend in Daytona

The Nextera Energy 250 was on Friday Night, the season opener for the NASCAR's Camping World Truck Series. Johnny Sauter and GMS Racing continued their dominance of the restrictor plate tracks, winning the race Friday Night. Sauter's teammate Justin Haley finished second, with NASCAR veteran Joe Nemechek coming home in third.

Saturday featured the Xfinity series season opener, the Powershares QQQ 300. The race was an all-out crashfest, with a race record 12 caution flags and a race record distance (143 laps) due to 5 attempts at overtime. It was also the closest finish in the touring series history. Tyler Reddick picked up the win by a margin of .000 seconds, only a few inches over his teammate Elliott Sadler. Ryan Reed, Kaz Grala, and Garrett Smithley rounded out the top 5 in what was a very wild start to the Xfinity series.

• Brohoof 1

aVOSkIC.gif.5c2c67dcbbb9b2bef53d61fb606c8533.gif

The 60th running of the Daytona 500 is about to start... it should be a great race! Heck, during my lifetime, it has almost always been a great race. And the next generation of NASCAR stars is finally taking shape. There could be multiple future legends of the sport in the field today.

7 hours ago, Prospekt said:

aVOSkIC.gif.5c2c67dcbbb9b2bef53d61fb606c8533.gif

The 60th running of the Daytona 500 is about to start... it should be a great race! Heck, during my lifetime, it has almost always been a great race. And the next generation of NASCAR stars is finally taking shape. There could be multiple future legends of the sport in the field today.

The race was an allout crashfest... plus Austin Dillon wrecked Amerola to win.

• Brohoof 1

The second race of the Monster Energy NASCAR cup series season has concluded at Atlanta. Kevin Harvick was the class of the field, leading about half the race and ultimately winning. 7 time champion Jimmie Johnson's woes continued sunday with a spin and a 27th place finish. Other notables include Darrell "Bubba" Wallace finishing 32nd after a late race crash and Austin Dillon, who finished in 14th one lap off the pace.

With the win Sunday, Harvick becomes the second driver to lock himself into the chase for the championship. 

Top 10 finishers

1. Kevin Harvick
  2. Brad Keslowski
  3. Clint Bowyer
  4. Denny Hamlin
  5. Martin Truex Jr.
  6. Joey Logano
  7. Kyle Busch
  8. Kurt Busch
  9. Kyle Larson
  10. Chase Elliott

The points through the first two races has Joey Logano Leading with the most points scored so far. 

Next weekend, all three major touring divisions head out for the first ever march triple header at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Truck Series will be on Friday Night, followed by the Xfinity on Saturday, and the MOnster Energy Series on Sunday.

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

He'll rebound. Losing streaks never last forever, especially when it comes to Jimmie Johnson. :sneer:

Yeah, he's been having these struggles since last June, this year hasn't the best start.

7 hours ago, Chrysalis14 said:

Since this race has been uploaded for quite some time, thought I show you guys the race that got me into NASCAR and the one that made knew who Brad Keselowski was.

I often wonder where Brad K would be if he stayed with Jr and Hendrick Motorsports.

I always liked cars a races but stuff like NASCAR and formula haven't really gotten into me and I guess it's because I think that the cars there are too similar and not interesting 

Though  I haven't been watching much of any racing except wrc rally when it comes but these days I haven't  been much into that either maybe because Sebastian Loeb retired and he was my favorite

7 hours ago, Y'ffre the Singer said:

I always liked cars a races but stuff like NASCAR and formula haven't really gotten into me and I guess it's because I think that the cars there are too similar and not interesting 

Though  I haven't been watching much of any racing except wrc rally when it comes but these days I haven't  been much into that either maybe because Sebastian Loeb retired and he was my favorite

I'm actually in the same boat you are. I've been losing interest in NASCAR since Jeff Gordon retired, and haven't been very interested in Indycar since Dan Wheldon's untimely death in 2011. I still love both divisions, but just not nearly as much anymore.