Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much the show and the comics matches together?

kimba90

Probably this was discussed before, but I really wanna know, how much what shown in the comics matches the series, and viceversa, and how much do they contradict eachothers? Can they still belong to the same canon, ot it's better to count them as two separate continuities?

In my eyes, the comics are acceptable in canon until something happens in the show to contradict it. The show has higher priority. When the show does that, I consider the "overruled" stuff to be alternative universe.

Comics are B-canon

Basically you can take comics as canon unless the show says otherwise

Many instances of the show contradicting the comics, but there are rare instances of the show directly referencing the comics as well(Ogres and Obulletes(Sp?))

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Comics are B-canon

Basically you can take comics as canon unless the show says otherwise

Many instances of the show contradicting the comics, but there are rare instances of the show directly referencing the comics as well(Ogres and Obulletes(Sp?))

Pretty much this. A good example of the show rendering a comic story non-canon would be FIENDship is Magic #3; which focuses on the Sirens and how they're banished to the EqG world. While the show gives us what happened in the episode "Shadow Play," the FIENDship issues shows it all happening after Star Swirl becomes a sore loser after being beat in a singing contest, then sending the Sirens away due to salt.

Needless to say; I am glad that particular story no longer applies.

• Brohoof 2

On 2/13/2018 at 8:43 AM, PathfinderCS said:

Pretty much this. A good example of the show rendering a comic story non-canon would be FIENDship is Magic #3; which focuses on the Sirens and how they're banished to the EqG world. While the show gives us what happened in the episode "Shadow Play," the FIENDship issues shows it all happening after Star Swirl becomes a sore loser after being beat in a singing contest, then sending the Sirens away due to salt.

Needless to say; I am glad that particular story no longer applies.

There wasn't even any worldbuilding in FIENDship #3, unlike in the others.

Edited by Anti-Villain

Just now, A.V. said:

There wasn't even any worldbuilding in FIENDship #3, unlike in the others.

I wouldn't go THAT far. Granted the world-building was minimal at best, but the Greco-Roman time period I thought was a nice touch in that it attempted to give the ponies some history; even if it felt somewhat forced considering no other FiM media really referred to a Greco-Roman-esque time period for the ponies. I might be wrong in that though.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, PathfinderCS said:

I wouldn't go THAT far. Granted the world-building was minimal at best, but the Greco-Roman time period I thought was a nice touch in that it attempted to give the ponies some history; even if it felt somewhat forced considering no other FiM media really referred to a Greco-Roman-esque time period for the ponies. I might be wrong in that though.

Got me there. Still, compared to the others' worldbuilding...

#1: Pony versions of evil Maiar or Valar, in a pocket dimension under the Crystal Empire.

#2: Tirek being royalty from another kingdom, the rest of his family being good unlike him, and Discord's blink-and-you'll-miss-it presence there.

#4: Moon-aliens who taught Nightmare Moon (and, by extension, Luna) how to control dreams.

#5: Some of the Changelings' past conquests.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

Somewhat ties, but I would say about 28% matched. I preferred the comics over the shows though. 

• Brohoof 1

Up until Issue 50 of the main comic, the comics themselves weren't seen as actual canon to the show given that events that took place in them had no bearing on it. The same wasn't true in reverse as many things that the show portrayed got brought up in the comics. Starting from issue 51 and onwards however, the comic has begun to provide some kind of influence in terms of show events though it doesn't look like it unless you were to take a much deeper look.

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, Funtime Splashee said:

Ah, the war between the non-tv watcher Bronies and the non-reading comics Bronies. I am sadly the tv watcher. Too bad you cannot be both :worry:

I enjoy the comics and chapter novels, but don't consider them canon - to the extent that they don't contradict show canon, I can accept they are interesting theories (like windsock's fixed-wing rig) that it might have been nice had they made it into the show. Fan-fic comes under the same heading of course :)

I also consider EqG to be its own separate canon - things can be Fim-only canon, or extended-universe EqG-plus-Fim canon.

I would say they sometimes match up and sometimes don't. The more easy going, slice of life style comics can easily be seen as canon, since they don't really have a big effect. On the other hand, the high stakes, action packed comics aren't really canon to the show. This is due to them having a big effect that would affect the events of the show if they were canon. Since the comics don't affect the show though, it is a contradiction; therefor that particular issue(s) isn't canon. Since there are a lot of contradictions, I usually just look at the comics as an alternate universe - with some issues here and there being canon.

The comics used to be fairly standalone, which you could take them for fitting into the show if you wanted, though some of them have definitely fallen out of favor.

Though at one point the comics started communicating with the show staff, and have even tied into the show.

Before Season 7, they had this comic where a unicorn named Shadow Lock was trying to prevent his ancestor villain from coming back. The last page shows that this villain is the Pony of Shadows, but it hadn't appeared in the show yet, and it was definitely tied into it, knowing what was coming.

Then there was a spinoff series, with six issues covering more happenings with the Pillars, and six issues showing Stygian's journey to find them to stop the sirens, finishing with signs of his eventual falling out with them.

These are very, very, easy to see being legit with the show.

And now we have the Season 10 comics which is as clear as you can get!