Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible that Equestria has another language

Unity

Is it possible that Equestria speak a language other than English? Now let's not get into "it's english for the sense of us viewing it". But is it possible that they speak another language. Although we haven't seen any other parts of their world. A point thst might counter it is that when someone goes through the portal to go to their "earth" they speak English. Just wanna hear your thoughts. And please no "it' just a show" as silly as it sounds I like to believe that Equestria is a real place.

• Brohoof 3

I remember seeing something about a language called 'Old Ponish'. Just like our world has English and Spanish, the pony world must have a language called Ponish!

Though since we don't speak Ponish, the show is in English. ;)

Edited by Rhythm Red
Grammar
  • Brohoof 2

31 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

I remember seeing something about a language called 'Old Ponish'. Just like our world has English and Spanish, the pony world must have a language called Ponish!

Though since we don't speak Ponish, the show is in English. ;)

Is there any confirmed information on the language you could link me to. Or any theorys?

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Feather Scribbles said:

I'll answer your question with a question: Why are you asking so many questions? You are kind of clogging up the forum (in a relatively short amount of time).

There is no rule against it and these forums aren't exactly booming with new topics every second so all I'm doing is giving people something to do. Also, I'm curious and that's aloud. Now answer my question

I believe that in Equestria, the ponies do speak a different language than what's seen in the show, though it's been translated to English for us (simply because again, we don't speak pony), this pony language can be seen in it's written form at least, such as in books or on posters in the show-  

Image result for mlp sisterhooves social poster

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I believe that in Equestria, the ponies do speak a different language than what's seen in the show, though it's been translated to English for us (simply because again, we don't speak pony), this pony language can be seen in it's written form at least, such as in books or on posters in the show-  

Image result for mlp sisterhooves social poster

So this guy pretty much made a language based off this https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/771938/how-to-speak-old-ponish

Do you think it's possible to actually learn and speak this language? What are your guy's thoughts on this.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

So this guy pretty much made a language based off this https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/771938/how-to-speak-old-ponish

Do you think it's possible to actually learn and speak this language? What are your guy's thoughts on this.

That guy explains Old Ponish, but what about the modern Ponish language shown in that poster @King of Canterlot sent? And what about the Foal Free Press newspaper? The title is that same language. 

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

6 minutes ago, Nye said:

That guy explains Old Ponish, but what about the modern Ponish language shown in that poster @King of Canterlot sent? And what about the Foal Free Press newspaper? The title is that same language. 

What if modern Ponish is what we call English, and the ponies have just developed a different alphabet? :ooh: Old Ponish is similar to Old English and German, which both happen to be predecessors of modern English.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Nye said:

What do you think the case is with them going to  their earth and no reactions  about another language.  So do the people on their earth just speak it too?

6 hours ago, donttellmum said:

What do you think the case is with them going to  their earth and no reactions  about another language.  So do the people on their earth just speak it too?

I think it is a large possibility that Ponish has the exact same pronunciations as English. It just has slightly different spellings.

Just like how Namekians in Dragonball Z have their own established Alien Language system? Well the show doesn’t specify a language system since it never goes in that much detail into the world of Equestria (cause you know its made for 5 years old in mind).

This is just my hypothetical guess, but the language they would speak would be very alien to us in every single way similar to Klingons from Star Trek and Ewoks from Star Wars.

Well maybe they do speak english, but write it in a different way, just like you said. I also remember Fluttershy saying "French haute couture", showing that there is french (Rarity speaks it too). 

• Brohoof 1

On 3/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, donttellmum said:

Is it possible that Equestria speak a language other than English? Now let's not get into "it's english for the sense of us viewing it". But is it possible that they speak another language. Although we haven't seen any other parts of their world. A point thst might counter it is that when someone goes through the portal to go to their "earth" they speak English. Just wanna hear your thoughts. And please no "it' just a show" as silly as it sounds I like to believe that Equestria is a real place.

Well both Sunny, Princess Twi, and dragon Spike crossed the portal and seemed to speak perfect english for the rest of the humans :dash: 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well both Sunny, Princess Twi, and dragon Spike crossed the portal and seemed to speak perfect english for the rest of the humans :dash: 

So let' just assume they speak a universal language, or speak English and have different typography.

1 minute ago, donttellmum said:

So let' just assume they speak a universal language, or speak English and have different typography.

Well the typography makes sense, as their writing is often gibberish..... then again there are some words  IN english here and there :huh: ...... and Princes Twi could write her name to participate in the Fall Formal coronation in EG :sunny: ....... yeah, they can't seem to make up their minds :D 

There was the mentioning of 'old ponish' in the season seven finale though it was more for comedic effect and plot convenience. Someone brought up 'The Cutie Pox' episode where Apple Bloom gained more than one cutie mark by providing the scene where she spoke French. It was more of a tongue-and-cheek reference to the fact that Canada--where the show is both animated and voiced--has English and French as its official languages.

• 2 years later...