Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why don't the CHS students go through the portal?

Literatel

(edited)

The question above is not the question in this thread. The point of this thread is: correct me if I am wrong.

Only the Rainbooms, Twilight (not Sci-Twi), Starlight Glimmer, and Celestia and Luna/Vice Principal Luna, and the Rainbooms/their pony counterparts know of the portal's existence. Most/all the students of C.H.S. and Crystal Prep know of the existence of magic, but to a very limited existent. Even Principal Celestia knows extreme little about Equestria, since she once said to Sunset, "Sunset Shimmer, since you come from a magical world...", or something like that.

Also, before Sunset Shimmer enters the portal to travel to Equestria in Forgotten Friendship, no one else is around. In addition, she looks from left to right, with a worried expression on her face, before she heads in. It is as if she is worried that someone may see her.

In addition, when she and Starlight Glimmer exit through the portal, the former tells her to "play it cool", or "act natural". This implies that, since the Human World has no native magic to it, spreading world about Equestria would be a TERRIBLE idea. Even the existence of Equestria must be kept "hush hush". Also, when a student passes be, Sunset Shimmer gives them a big nervous smile, as if nothing abnormal is happening.

Also, when the Rainbooms are waiting for Twilight to arrive at the statue in Rainbow Rocks, they are there for two reasons: to greet Twilight, and to make sure that no one notices when Twilight emerges from the portal/statue.

So, as to my understanding, most of the students at C.H.S. know nothing of the portal?

Edited by Melody2222

I think you answered your own question; they may just be oblivious to its existence.

But let us assume they do.  Let me ask a rhetorical question: would they go in if they knew about the portal's existence?

Think about it.  As far as we know, the Equestria Girls world is basically like ours.  The high schoolers are, in effect, just typical teens in a modern setting.  But now they know about a magical portal that leads to a strange land of strange magic.  They may consider going in for curiosity's sake, but after thinking it over, they'll realize the risk would not be worth the reward.  Ergo, none or few will go in because their caution or fear bars them.

Either A: they don't know it exists, B: They know it exists, but have no desire to enter, C: They know it exists, but don't know the conditions to enter, or D: Because the story says so.

The real question is: how come no one crossed it by leaning on the statue :huh:? What kind of self respecting high school has no teens who leans on statues  :unamused:?

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

The real question is: how come no one crossed it by leaning on the statue :huh:? What kind of self respecting high school has no teens who leans on statues  :unamused:?

I believe (Princess) Twilight keeps the portal turned off when not in use.  I'm pretty sure the machine in her castle only activates the portal when she turns in on.  The rest of the time, she keeps the machine turned off and presumably folded up in a closet, which is why we never see it on FIM.  I'd have to go back and rewatch everything to see if there is an exception to this, but I believe that post Rainbow Rocks, any time the portal is used, someone communicates with Twilight through the magical journal first so she can turn on the portal.  Of course, before she built that machine, people and animals should have been stumbling through the portal constantly during the periods when it was open naturally (which I guess was dependent on lunar cycles or something?)

• 2 weeks later...

1) Demon girl + zombie army.

2) Giant sea serpent singers + zombie fight club.

3) Giant attack vines.

4) Gaping portal to fall through.

5) More giant attack vines.

vs cars, cell phones and no evil magic monsters doing horrible things to you till recently. They don't know its a pastel pony world they probably think its a non stop stream of horrible monsters able to take away their free will and turn them into their servants. Would you go into that world?

Plus of course the above points that the portals normally off, you need to be in the right spot at the right time to go through it and you need to be happy with being turned into a pony, dragon, cat, parrot, etc when you do. Of course I've a personal theory that at least a few people/critters have gone through over the years afterall there are a lot of littlle references that only make sense if there has been some contact over the years.

Edited by Senko

On 7/27/2018 at 7:17 PM, Shadowfax said:

Think about it.  As far as we know, the Equestria Girls world is basically like ours.  The high schoolers are, in effect, just typical teens in a modern setting.  But now they know about a magical portal that leads to a strange land of strange magic.  They may consider going in for curiosity's sake, but after thinking it over, they'll realize the risk would not be worth the reward.  Ergo, none or few will go in because their caution or fear bars them.

I have trouble believing that one. Teens are the ultimate age of thinking you're invincible. They're thrill seekers, and don't think about mortality that much. We're talking, "Hey, jumping off a second story rooftop into a 3-foot pool sounds like an awesome idea! Watch this, guys!" Also, things like drag-racing on public streets. I would expect teens to be the people who would be MOST likely to jump through and see what's on the other side. And the younger you are, the more easy it would be to mentally handle the new surroundings, because the brain is still pretty flexible until your upper 20's. The older you get, the harder it is to process highly conflicting information, and nothing could mess with you more than "unplugging from the Matrix."

Though I wonder how much the state of the would would impact such a decision. Maybe for some of us on... we'll just call it "Regular Earth," the risk/reward ratio might be a bit more skewed towards reward because let's face it... things are pretty crappy in this world. There isn't much to go on with what EQG is like outside of the lives of teenagers. The highschools seem much friendlier than in our world, but does that reflect what the entire planet is like? Or are they also plagued with constant wars, famines, unemployment, racial tensions, etc?

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

48 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Though I wonder how much the state of the would would impact such a decision. Maybe for some of us on... we'll just call it "Regular Earth," the risk/reward ratio might be a bit more skewed towards reward because let's face it... things are pretty crappy in this world. There isn't much to go on with what EQG is like outside of the lives of teenagers. The highschools seem much friendlier than in our world, but does that reflect what the entire planet is like? Or are they also plagued with constant wars, famines, unemployment, racial tensions, etc?

Personally I'd think a lot of racial tensions would be lower. Sure you could still have country A doesn't like country B but the casual racism would be offset by the colours. Here there are entire population segments that do and have been discriminated against because they are obviously different in a cosmetic way to the majority WWII is a prime example for it (I'm not giving specific examples beyond saying it was not just the germans doing this) whereas in Equestria girls you literally have people of every colour of the rainbow (although usually they're only a few of them) so you wouldn't immediately identify someone as different if you'd grown up in the same country/culture.

Edited by Senko