Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Abusing Memes by Making Them into Reactions

EpicEnergy

Ok, memes are funny and great, and are used very frequently; however, I hate that some memes are being used in an area that should not have them. I hate to be the hater, but someone needs to address this issue before it becomes very problematic, and that person might as well be me. Remember, this post is just a suggestion that I have, nothing more.

The problem: I have already seen plenty reactions of "I see", "Number one", and “teacup” and I can already tell that abuse is on its way if not already here. The reaction system already feels like a meme in and of itself when it's supposed to represent how someone feels. Seriously, how could one possibly feel like they are "teacup" about the post, or "I ‘I see’ this post". It's very odd, and I don't normally use those reactions because I don't take them seriously and they don't fit in most of the time, yet others do it anyways. It just makes the post less serious and more of a meme and funny than anything, unless you ignore the reaction system. Putting memes into the reaction system provides any forum user unrestricted access to memes and encourages them as well. Doing this makes the memes appear frequently and makes them more annoying. Who wouldn't press the "I see" button? It makes us laugh, so why not? My point is, it's too tempting to not consider pressing a meme reaction button, unless the topic is something very serious like something about death or pain.

Problems that could arise and maybe are arising from this: Let me list the consequences of placing a meme in the reaction system. First, you eventually kill the meme due to abuse and constant exposure to it in most topics. Second, it's hard to express your feelings when the reaction system has memes and is becoming a meme itself because of it. Third, it's hard to understand how people feel about your post and what their reaction to it is when there are meme reactions. Fourth, it's annoying for memes to pop up everywhere, especially dead memes, not saying that any current reaction meme here is dead. Fifth, there are memes that some people dislike anyways, but having them on a forum reaction system is even more annoying.

My solutions: Here are the solutions I propose. (1) One could make a forum section/subsection that holds all the meme topics and posts located and take out all the memes from the reaction system and place them there. (2) Move the reaction system memes into the emoji system instead, though I wouldn’t prefer this solution since the memes are still there. (3) Erase the memes from every system altogether. Posts and comments can have memes, just not the reaction system and emoji system, or so forth.

One last thing I wanted to say. I actually don’t care about there being memes in the reaction system, and I personally find them to be somewhat funny. To be honest, if they left I just might miss them a slight bit. Also, I'm fine with temporary meme reactions, the ones I'm referring throughout to this post are those that are permanent. The reason I posted this is because I speculated that these permanent meme reactions could become annoying and could lead to a few problems, since meme abuse is a common crime on the internet these days.

Apologies if I offended anyone.

Disclaimers: I know the “Number one” reaction is temporary, and I also know there are other reactions in the reaction system that aren’t memes and that actually show how one feels about a post.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses and sees the 'Teacup' reaction as a superlative 'Brohoof'.

This is how I use it (and how I read other users reactions):

- Brohoof: 'I agree', 'You make a good point', 'Well said'.

- Teacup: 'I wholeheartedly agree', 'You said exactly what I was thinking'.

That's why I don't see anything wrong with the reaction.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 4

There is a very good reason why "I see" is there now. @Jeric is usually in charge of messing around with emoticons but from what it's because people were complaining that the old "Crazy" emote was being used as negative reaction for someones content that they disliked.

With teacup, it's a fun emote that is basically the same as a brohoof but some people like the option of doing a teacup instead. In my opinion, if it is not hurting anyone at all it shouldn't be messed with. Plus, the outrage that would ensue if "teacup" were removed would me much worse than just leaving the teacup where it is now. Now I know what you mean about "Number one", that was a reaction that was added by Jeric to be in memory of Stefan Karlsson which was a lazy town actor that died recently. To be fair, your proposed "solution" will not work on a forum of this scale. Putting all the memes into one section entirely would ruin the fun for a lot of people and make this place feel like prison rather than a place to have fun. As someone who is on staff, I am someone who polices around certain sections but I'm also there to allow fun in the sections. Also, I don't even think you could move the reaction system into an "emoji system". The reaction system is part of IPB's software.

• Brohoof 5

I understand your point, althought memes also have some interpretations, when it comes to reacting. Of course everyone is interpretating the meme reaction on it's own and it can create confusion.

Nonentheless:
-> I'm using Teacup reaction for something weird, but understable, sometimes when I don't agree with someone's point mixed with harder understanding the post.
-> I'm using I see reaction for posts completely not possible to be fully understanded to me
-> Number One... Hm, that's a new one, I suppose I would use them... I don't know when.

of course there are exceptions for usage of reactions, as there are exceptions for every rule

• Brohoof 1

we make sure to always have plenty of reactions to be used in the way you describe, having a whimsical one alongside those doesn't get in the way i think, and judging by how well recieved the teacup is, i can say with certainty that many people think so too,  you can keep using the "serious" ones only of course, no one will judge you for it. as for the collectible reactions that are there for a limited time i think they actually add to the fun, and help break the monotony we'd have if they never changed. all i'm saying is we try to bring a breath of fresh air once in a while, and the reactions are a way to do it

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

I'm referring throughout to this post are those that are permanent

The only one that is permanent is teacup. I rotate them out monthly. Teacup stays. Teacup is fun. Teacup is popular. I will not manage to the exception. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Jeric said:

Memes as reactions. 

You called?

4BXNlUG.png

Memes by their very nature tend to be repetitive, yet amusing little things. I don't personally see the issue with having new, temporary reaction buttons with them, as long as there are never so many that trying to find the one you're looking for becomes a hassle. Since that hasn't come to pass yet, I think things are fine as is.

• Brohoof 2

Jeez man, it's just an emoticon..let the people have their fun.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

What's cool about the temp reactions like I See and Number One ... they will always be in your statistics page so they almost act like collectable snapshots of frivolity we've pulled here .... though in the case of the Number One reaction, it was really placed there as a nod to internet culture, and the actor behind it, as that meme was huge (even here) and actually a positive one since it was used to help raise money to fight cancer. 

Number One was less me being a friendly troll and more about respect. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Number One was less me being a friendly troll and more about respect. 

This maybe a bit cliche' Ever since number one emoticon came, I'd substitute "brohoof"  for "number one" to express not only i like the comment but because i believe their comment is number 1.And  also I think everyone deserve to be number 1. 

The "I see" reaction may have started out as a meme, but I never saw it as one. It seems to fit in well with the other reactions to me. I see it as saying something like "I'm not sure I get it, but ok". Something along those lines anyway, depends on the post it's reacting to.

The Number One emote bugs me though. Like, I'm all for showing some respect for the guy, but the reaction system isn't the place for it. Some people will show their respect in their own way and some people won't, but forcing the entire forum to share in your way of doing it is just not the right way to go about it.

The teacup, now I know that no one shares my opinion on this one, but I see it as the highest insult the reaction system has had so far. The teacup is a great way of saying. . . nothing. Nothing at all. But instead of just saying nothing, you give the teacup reaction so you're actively telling the person you have absolutely nothing to say to them. Do we really need a reaction like that?

• Brohoof 2

I get your point, though even without memes and involving the teacup there were complaints on abusing the reaction system and actually people being offended by that, which eventually led to removal of few ones.

Even with totally normal reactions it is possible to misuse, thus abuse that feature.

So now considering all the opinions on the whole reaction system, the only solution would be to remove it completely and just get back to like it used to be - brohoof only. Like or not, that was the only decision to make. Nobody had problems with that.... Though actually.... Some members do mention being demotivated by low amount of brohooves they have received so far, comparing to other users... EqE4vfd.png

Besides, think about it - you say something, someone leaves a brohoof and nothing else - does not comment. One could think they're just like "k" and carrying on without actually caring. You never know if they're actually agreeing to what you said, it all depends on situation and the particular member, who gave that brohoof. It potentially... could be received as offensive. :ooh:

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your concerns, but this system simply cannot be taken seriously and this is members' own fault.

6 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Also, I don't even think you could move the reaction system into an "emoji system". The reaction system is part of IPB's software.

I believe he means simply moving the meme reactions into emoji list, so that users will be putting them in posts, rather than randomly leaving meme reactions without any context.

39 minutes ago, Totally Totally said:

The teacup, now I know that no one shares my opinion on this one, but I see it as the highest insult the reaction system has had so far. The teacup is a great way of saying. . . nothing. Nothing at all. But instead of just saying nothing, you give the teacup reaction so you're actively telling the person you have absolutely nothing to say to them. Do we really need a reaction like that?

I do agree with that. I can imagine it being received that way in some cases. But in other situations, it's just a friendly way to say "Well said, let's have a tea" and stuff like this. So yeah, it literally means nothing - it can be offensive, it can be friendly, it can be a joke - it's all about interpretation of the situation.

Also, personally the number one makes me laugh when I receive it. It's just hilarious, even though it has a sad backstory now.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm, now I have better knowledge of the reaction system thanks to the many comments in this post, so it appears I need to revise my view on this matter.

I now think that placing memes into the reaction system isn't as potentially problematic as I suggested it was. Actually, I hardly think it is problematic at all, as of now. The reason I even thought of posting this was because I have seen too many dead/abused memes used before, and it makes me cringe so badly whenever that happens; moreover, I speculated that this could happen to this forum's meme reactions. Now it turns out that my speculation was entirely false; therefore, there is no problem. Thanks to everyone who commented for shedding more light on this area!

Is there a way to close or end this feedback post? Since nothing needs to change in the area being discussed, this feedback post is no longer valid.

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

Hmm, now I have better knowledge of the reaction system thanks to the many comments in this post, so it appears I need to revise my view on this matter.

I now think that placing memes into the reaction system isn't as potentially problematic as I suggested it was. Actually, I hardly think it is problematic at all, as of now. The reason I even thought of posting this was because I have seen too many dead/abused memes used before, and it makes me cringe so badly whenever that happens; moreover, I speculated that this could happen to this forum's meme reactions. Now it turns out that my speculation was entirely false; therefore, there is no problem. Thanks to everyone who commented for shedding more light on this area!

Is there a way to close or end this feedback post? Since nothing needs to change in the area being discussed, this feedback post is no longer valid.

I appreciate your candor and revision. 

And I can certainly find my locking spell ... now where did that parchment go? Ah yes, right here next to the latest copy of Fashion Digest Monthly! 

> Casts spell to lock thread. 

Done. 

img-3215143-1-479570__safe_solo_rarity_a

• Brohoof 8

• The topic was locked