Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What comes after the superhero era?

Mesme Rize

We obviously have been in this superhero for quite sometime now, which has truly picked up in 2008, when the first iron man pretty much started of the marvel cinematic universe and the dark knight became the gold standard for superhero movies.

But when will the hype for these movies stop and also, what comes after it? Superhero movies have been on the forefront of the box office every year, with Infinity war breaking all records again worldwide. But will there be anything else after that? There hasn't been alot of very original summer blockbusters in the last 10 years, when you compare it to movies from the 80s and 90s.

Do we maybe face the death of the summer blockbuster, after this era comes to an end?

Superhero movies rely on pop culture, nostalgia and heavy marketing.

There are plenty of nostalgic pop culture icons beyond superheroes to ride after the wave (live action Disney fairy tales wave has been going strong for a while now).

And one thing about nostalgia is that it cycles every 15-25 year, so there's no way Hollywood is going to let the summer blockbuster business to fall anytime soon.

We can't say for sure...but I know for a fact that whatever trend does eventually replace superhero movies, it will have the people who originally cried about there being too many superhero movies saying that they miss them and would rather have superhero movies over whatever replaces them. :maud:

I don't think so, I think they're planning to bring a new/old generations of heroes/avenger to fill the gap. Like spiderman,  Iron heart, Lady thor, Ms marvel, sam as captain america, ects. Although I think we're might going to get more Cap. Marvel and Dr. Strange movie since they only have one. 

The next era is moe era 

33361476_OmakeGifAnime-OwarimonogatariS2-Episode4-SenjougaharaNotAsleep.gif.f965185a4e6abc7b8df2cf25444c52a9.gif

The superhero concept is quite broad and I dont really think it will disappear that quickly. People have always liked heroes and it has been one of the staples in the industry for quite some time. Also it is quite hard to predict what will come up next as it just needs someone to come up with something to break the surface and if it becomes big everyone else will follow that. So it could be basically anything.

Hollywood even now might be preparing for something to be the next 'big' thing after the superhero era comes to its eventual end. Then again, we never know what they are doing seeing as they are rather shifty with their practices--for better or worse. As for superhero movies, I have a feeling they will be a thing for the next decade so long as the demand is there and that certain individuals desire to take things to the next level.

we might be in this era for another two or three years, at the least. Its hard to say what could come next since most movie companies these days rely on following trends, rather than attempting to set them.

I would kinda see the noir genre coming back. Its old, and its basically what the current generations want in movies. If that does happen, I want to be known as a clairvoyant.

Considering Disney owns Marvel and has it's long term plans to exploit it to the saturation point, I'm guessing we won't see the end of super heroes for quite a long time. But as far as anything else making a splash in the future, I would like to think romantic comedies might have a chance. They're relatively inexpensive, easy to produce and they have a decent track record. They were making a nice assortment of them in the '90s and then they sort of fizzled out. I'd love to see more of them, even though I don't expect them to ever be the 'next big thing' because they simply aren't 'big.' Spectacle is overrated when too many films rely on visuals over content, but audiences continue to eat it up, so we'll keep on seeing more of the same. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it will last a while longer, considering Disney owns Marvel now. They'll just pump out more and more superhero movies because they make money regardless of how good they actually are, because that's what Disney does. They do a lot of cash grabbing. From all indications this means to expect the quality of movies to go down, and the movies to still get extremely positive reviews because if it's Marvel it's automatically good. But If DC releases a similar movie, it's bad because DC. That is precisely how it works, and it infuriates me. DC does release a lot of terrible movies, yes. But Marvel doesn't always release great movies either. In fact, I'd venture out to say that I don't like most every Marvel movie I've seen... Not only because I despise the way Marvel releases dumb, generic superhero after dumb, generic superhero, but because the movies themselves... Really aren't that fantastic, to be honest... But to be fair DC isn't really helping this stupid trend out either. Instead of focusing on making shows that have the quality of Gotham, they continue to release c*** like Superwoman. However, it is my assessment that Marvel is the root cause of this ridiculousness, and that it really should have ended 5 years ago if the Marvel bias wasn't so blatantly obvious...

On other words, I hope it will but I know it won't.

Edited by Dusk Noire

1 hour ago, Dusk Noire said:

and the movies to still get extremely positive reviews because if it's Marvel it's automatically good. But If DC releases a similar movie, it's bad because DC.

There's no Marvel bias, many will attest that the first two Thor films and the Incredible Hulk aren't very good movies even taking the MCU out of the equation. Likewise Logan and Deadpool was handled by FOX and those were amazing, yet they constantly fall flat on their face with the proper X-Men movies or the Fantastic 4. People bashing DC movies isn't out of bias for Marvel, it's because they're not good movies. Most of their movies past The Dark Knight Trilogy get trashed because they constantly try to turn every one of their super hero movies exactly like Batman. They try to make Man of Steel into a Batman movie instead of a Superman movie, likewise with Green Lantern, Batman Vs Superman, there's a reason why the "DC universe being extremely dark, gritty and depressing" is a constant running joke. And when they're not trying to turn everything into Batman they're desperately trying to copy Marvel, like with Suicide Squad and Justice League trying to copy Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers respectively. They reached their nadir with Titans, which seems like the embodiment of everything wrong with the DCEU. The only DC movie to actually get good reception is Wonder Woman and that's because they actually tried to make it feel like fucking Wonder Woman. There's still hope though with both Aquaman and Shazzam looking very promising. And this goes back to Marvel, they all feel different from each other, The Iron Man Trilogy had a huge focus on not just science and business just like the comics, Captain America has a lot of focus on politics, conspiracy and espionage, Spiderman is about a boy trying to fit normal life with being a superhero. Thor is about Gods and Norse Mythology. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man are about as B-List superheroes as you can get and they know this, they so they have fun with the ridiculous concepts. In the end of the day Marvel is doing something right and DC isn't, and that's that understanding the source material and the characters

As for the topic, I don't see Superheroes dying any time soon, but I do see it slowing down with Avengers 4 which is something the entire MCU has been building up too. I think future success is gonna rely entirely on the landing. As for what's gonna come after, I think people are gonna gravitate towards movies more grounded in reality after the huge glut of fantastical movies this past decade like Harry Potter, Star Wars, MCU, etc.

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

As for what's gonna come after, I think people are gonna gravitate towards movies more grounded in reality after the huge glut of fantastical movies this past decade like Harry Potter, Star Wars, MCU, etc.

Oh, joy. Get ready for the movie version of "How to Kill a Mockingbird".

Edited by heavens-champion