Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lets over-analyze!

Spark

Just pointing out something. On the first episode, if the pegasi controlled the weather, why were those clouds there for RD to clear in the first place?

Um....she was just being lazy, y'know, one of her top qualities? Sure, 'tis a negative trait, but negative traits exist in everypony and everything. Not just in the show, but in real life as well.

Control over the weather does not necessarily mean that every single aspect of the weather is managed every single second of the day. In particular, the proximity of Ponyville to the Everfree Forest, where the weather is wild and uncontrolled, means they likely experience quite a few incoming clouds and other weather related phenomena on a daily basis.

Plus, there's nothing to keep clouds from forming naturally in Equestria proper as well.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The "clouds" in the first episode were actually sentient beings who disguised as clouds and then invaded Ponyville. Rainbow Dash was fighting an alien invasion.

Edited by Zombie King of Magikarps

Control over the weather does not necessarily mean that every single aspect of the weather is managed every single second of the day. In particular, the proximity of Ponyville to the Everfree Forest, where the weather is wild and uncontrolled, means they likely experience quite a few incoming clouds and other weather related phenomena on a daily basis.

Plus, there's nothing to keep clouds from forming naturally in Equestria proper as well.

They say earlier in the show that the weather is controlled naturally and unicorn magic doesn't work there.

(edited)

Alright, for fun....

Posted Image

edit:whatever, i guess the picture wont load then....

Edited by Myth

(edited)

Here's more over-analysis.

Isn't the ability to control the weather technically Magic (controlling Lightning Bolts is a form of magic, no matter how you look at it)? If that's the case, then shouldn't they NOT do that near Applejack's farm, since she hates it when Magic is used on her farm? And does AJ KNOW that it's technically Magic?

If Fluttershy could be a tree, what kind of tree would she be, and why?

What would happen if Rainbow Dash was ever SUCCESSFUL in joining the Wonderbolts? What would that do to the Mane 6?

Was Princess Celestia really going to punish Twilight at the end of Lesson Zero? Or was there simply going to be some sort of Mufasa-esque lecture in there?

And the mother of all over-analysis:

Why is Twilight the ONLY one of the Mane 6 to have a CROWN as her Element of Harmony (in her own words)?

Edited by SBaby

Isn't the ability to control the weather technically Magic (controlling Lightning Bolts is a form of magic, no matter how you look at it)? If that's the case, then shouldn't they NOT do that near Applejack's farm, since she hates it when Magic is used on her farm? And does AJ KNOW that it's technically Magic?

Yes, it technically is. Pegasi posess magic abilities as well, but it is on sort of an "auto pilot". They can't cast magic like unicorns, but pegasi magic is what allows them to manipulate clouds, control lightning, and travel at the speed of sound without it killing them (talking about Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom). I don't think AJ minds it because pegasi magic isn't something they really choose to do, since their magic is on auto pilot anyway. Unlike unicorns who choose when and where to cast a spell.

This is my head canon and i'm sticking to it :ph34r:

(edited)

Yes, it technically is. Pegasi posess magic abilities as well, but it is on sort of an "auto pilot". They can't cast magic like unicorns, but pegasi magic is what allows them to manipulate clouds, control lightning, and travel at the speed of sound without it killing them (talking about Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom). I don't think AJ minds it because pegasi magic isn't something they really choose to do, since their magic is on auto pilot anyway. Unlike unicorns who choose when and where to cast a spell.

This is my head canon and i'm sticking to it :ph34r:

Well, they choose when and where to have storms and everything like that. So they do have control over it. We've seen Rainbow Dash create rainy weather for personal gain before (The Ticket Master). So they definitely have control over it.

Edited by SBaby

Well, they choose when and where to have storms and everything like that. So they do have control over it. We've seen Rainbow Dash create rainy weather for personal gain before (The Ticket Master). So they definitely have control over it.

Yeah, I didn't really mean it like they have no control over it at all. Bad wording on my part. It's more of a natural ability for them. Sort of like how only Earth ponies can grow food. Earth ponies don't have to do anything special to grow food, they just do it. Then again, magic is a natural ability for unicorns..... hmmm.... you make a good point. This will probably be bothering me the rest of the day :P

Yeah, I didn't really mean it like they have no control over it at all. Bad wording on my part. It's more of a natural ability for them. Sort of like how only Earth ponies can grow food. Earth ponies don't have to do anything special to grow food, they just do it. Then again, magic is a natural ability for unicorns..... hmmm.... you make a good point. This will probably be bothering me the rest of the day :P

What's REALLY gonna bug you later on is, what would happen to Magic if the Elements of Harmony ever disappeared from the world? Since it's been established that Magic is tied directly into the Elements of Harmony (even going so far as to call it one of the Elements), then what would happen if some unforeseen event caused them to either disappear or be destroyed completely?

Applejack chastising Twilight for using magic in the episode "Winter Wrap-up" was because she supposed to be wrapping up winter "...the earth pony way". (You know, like how Twilight sang in the song "Winter Wrap-up"?). Since earth ponies don't use unicorn magic, it wasn't allowed to be used for wrapping up winter ANYWHERE in Ponyville, not just Applejack's farm. This is further evidenced by no other unicorn(except for Rarity who apparently thinks she's special...) using magic during the wrap-up. There have been plenty of times where Twilight has used magic on her farm during the episodes "Applebuck Season", "Return of Harmony" Pt. 1, and "Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" wherein Applejack didn't get angry or frustrated at Twilight for using magic. To that end you've analysed Applejack's line incorrectly.

If Fluttershy could be a tree, what kind of tree would she be, and why?

She was disguised as a tree in one of the episodes so whatever species that one is.

And the mother of all over-analysis:

Why is Twilight the ONLY one of the Mane 6 to have a CROWN as her Element of Harmony (in her own words)?

Because magic makes it all complete? *ponyshrugs*

What's REALLY gonna bug you later on is, what would happen to Magic if the Elements of Harmony ever disappeared from the world? Since it's been established that Magic is tied directly into the Elements of Harmony (even going so far as to call it one of the Elements), then what would happen if some unforeseen event caused them to either disappear or be destroyed completely?

Remember that point in "Mare In The Moon" pt 2 where Nightmare Moon tried to destroy them but failed? That proved once and for all that it isn't possible. The elements are physical manifestations of the virtues they are linked to, with magic being represented by friendship in and of itself. That's why the show is subtitled "Friendship is Magic", litterally it is the essence of friendship(in it's various forms) is a source of immense magical energy. Other examples that aren't the elements themselves are seen in "Hearth's Warming Eve" and "A Canterlot Wedding" pt. 2 wherein interpersonal bonds power immensely powerful magical spells.

tl;dr not possible, it's been tried and it didn't work. You would have to destroy friendship and virtue itself.

(edited)

Applejack chastising Twilight for using magic in the episode "Winter Wrap-up" was because she supposed to be wrapping up winter "...the earth pony way". (You know, like how Twilight sang in the song "Winter Wrap-up"?). Since earth ponies don't use unicorn magic, it wasn't allowed to be used for wrapping up winter ANYWHERE in Ponyville, not just Applejack's farm. This is further evidenced by no other unicorn(except for Rarity who apparently thinks she's special...) using magic during the wrap-up. There have been plenty of times where Twilight has used magic on her farm during the episodes "Applebuck Season", "Return of Harmony" Pt. 1, and "Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" wherein Applejack didn't get angry or frustrated at Twilight for using magic. To that end you've analysed Applejack's line incorrectly.

That still doesn't explain the Pegasi using Magic (let's face it, it's Magic for reasons I already explained).

Secondly, when I talked about the Elements of Harmony disappearing from the world, I didn't mean the decors being destroyed. They'd just be copied again, like they were the first time.

Hypothetical situation. Some final boss-type creature appears and the only way to defeat it turns out to be freeing the Rainbow of Light from the Elements altogether, thus destroying them once and for all. If that were to happen, or some event were to happen that caused them to be permanently destroyed, THEN what would happen? That was more the question I was getting at.

Edited by SBaby

Unicorns can use magic, which is awesome,

Pegasi can fly, which is radical,

What can earth ponies do that stands out? I know someone noted they could grow food which seems alright, (even though it doesn't exactly have a "cool" factor,) but kinda falls apart when you consider that a fair amount of earth ponies don't even do that. The general fanfiction assumption seems to be that they're stronger but the series doesn't really back this up, for instance: Whenever they're helping Applejack with apple bucking the pegasi seem just as capable as the professional apple farmer.

There is no such thing as over analyzation!

The more you analyze, the better!

Why anslyze? Because we can. No, seriously, because we can. The vast majority of TV shows are shallow with no hidden meaning. MLP has layer upon layer of meaning, allegory, allusion, etc. It is a crime to NOT be analyzing this show.

This week I'll finish a 5500 word MLP philosophy essay that I've been working on for three months. Analyzation is awesome!

• Brohoof 1