Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rainbow Dash have the biggest ego?

Azureth

One powerful thing I’ve learned is that showboating-type characters (including people IRL) tend to have the smallest egos because they’re usually trying to compensate for a lack of fulfillment and/or development inside by increasing their presence outside.

Thus, I think Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash (and possibly Rarity) have the smallest egos of the Mane 6. But the smallest overall is definitely Trixie.

On the other hand, I think Applejack probably has the biggest, followed maybe by Fluttershy.

Edited by Arkadios
  • Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

What about Lightning Dust? Rainbow Dash wasn't so egoistic as her, and Lightning's carelessness put the Mane 6 in danger.

Lightning Dust is confident in her skills, but she's not all in-your-face about it, Dash is. Dust lives for the thrill of adrenaline, Dash for the applause and recognition.

Rainbow Dash even claimed to have known all along that A. K. Yearling was Daring Do and that it was obvious, when it was a blatant lie... That's just claiming to be on top of everyone (as a Daring Do fan in said case).

Rainbow Dash and Trixie are the ones with the biggest egos, there's no doubt about that. Both of them have learn to not be showing up all the time, but their personalities are like that, it's part of their charm.

48 minutes ago, Arkadios said:

One powerful thing I’ve learned is that showboating-type characters (including people IRL) tend to have the smallest egos because they’re usually trying to compensate for a lack of fulfillment and/or development inside by increasing their presence outside.

Thus, I think Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash (and possibly Rarity) have the smallest egos of the Mane 6. But the smallest overall is definitely Trixie.

On the other hand, I think Applejack probably has the biggest, followed maybe by Fluttershy.

You're mistaking confidence from ego. You mentioned compensation, which is usually done by raising the ego to compensate for the lack of confidence.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

You're mistaking confidence from ego. You mentioned compensation, which is usually done by raising the ego to compensate for the lack of confidence.

One could say that ego in the sense here is "self-concept" or the beliefs about oneself that answer "Who am I?"

In the case of, for example, Trixie, she would answer this question with "I am one who wishes to be perceived as a great and powerful unicorn." She doesn't have anything to back this up and she seems unwilling or unable to create an actual change that would cause her to be perceived that way. Her self-concept is low so her ego is small. Thus, the only option is compensation, such as referring to herself in the third person and not caring about the consequences of her actions, things powerful personalities seem to do.

Whether she admits this to herself or not is irrelevant.

Her actual ego doesn't change, just the perception of her ego.

As such, she breaks down in pressure situations, despite her façade of "the great and powerful Trixie".

(This all stems from my belief that ego is fundamentally a good thing.)

• Brohoof 1

I don't think that RD has the biggest ego--I just think she has major trouble controlling it. There's a difference. 

Of the Mane Six: I would argue that Applejack or Rarity have the biggest egos. They just know how to keep themselves in check (most of the time). 

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't say she has the biggest ego out of any character on the show, especially when Discord is easily the most egotistical character in the supporting cast besides Trixie. ^_^ In the main cast, RD has always been contested by Rarity for the pony who faces the most challenges with pride, as all of them have their moments of boasting. Yes, even Fluttershy. :fluttershy:

"Not every pony can be as brave as me." - Fluttershy at the end of Dragonshy

22 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

Lightning Dust is confident in her skills, but she's not all in-your-face about it, Dash is. Dust lives for the thrill of adrenaline, Dash for the applause and recognition.

Also when Spitfire put Rainbow Dash as a wingpony under Lightning Dust, she complained about being second fiddle.