Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you think Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon haven't gotten any attention since reformation?

FearTheBelle

I personally love these two, as is probably obvious. But I am disappointed that for whatever reason they seem to have been cast aside with no intention of using them, it has been three seasons now. Why reform them at all if you have no plan for their future? Every other reformed character (sans Gilda, who did send Gabby in the first place) has been recurring and important. But Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? All they get anymore is the rare background non-speaking appearance, and lately not even that.  You'd think with how important in the CMC's story they were that they would get some interaction and run with them, but they don't.

I just don't understand why they were thrown away as if they were one-off antagonists of no importance like the Diamond Dogs when they aren't.

And I can't think of any reason that doesn't disappoint me or frustrate me as a fan of the two. Do you have any ideas why they've done nothing? Do you want them to return?

Edited by FearTheBelle
Formatting x2 (Wanted the first part as one paragraph.)

Something British Ninja (a brony analyst) brought up is that the episode "Crusader of the Lost Mark" the episode was less about the CMC getting their cutie marks but them learning to ignore and move passed Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's mocking and bullying. If you use that interpretation you could assume that since the CMC not only moved passed their snobbish attitudes but have reformed them, that their overall purpose has been generally served. CMC have new obstacles in their lives and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon was one they moved passed. 

I think of it like leaving a childhood bully behind in a way.

• Brohoof 3

Well, we only ever saw them during their interaction with the CMC - they were (to pardon the pun) one trick ponies, and now they are allegedly reformed, that trick is no longer in play.

But really, there is much unresolved; The issues around Diamond's relationship with her mother, father, the CMC and indeed the rest of the class can't really be fixed in one "sorry, my bad, here have a playground, we're good now, yes?". Diamond and Silver are unlikely to find it easy to not fall back into their old habits, Spoilt is unlikely to take her humiliation in front of the class with good grace, and so forth - there are still plenty of plot lines you could follow, but with all the NEW characters we have gained in the last two seasons, it is unsurprising there is a lack of room for their character development (or that of other prominent background characters like bulk biceps, the spa ponies, the cakes and so forth; I am sure if there were a fan vote, we are more likely to see Vinyl, Lyra or Marble Pie win than the former bullies)

6 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

Yes, they are. I mean, look how many episodes they even appeared in the last three seasons – just 8-9, most of them background.

That is not how it works. Background ponies only exist to fill space and never do anything ever, except for one-off gags and one particular episode.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually had a part to play, they were important to the stories of central characters. Background ponies are and were important to nobody.

They were pretty much always one-trick-ponies, pun intended, and almost all of their character revolves around the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They aren't really needed anymore. Not that they can't be used but they've essentially fulfilled their purpose.

• Brohoof 1

Gonna echo everyone here. Silver Spoon and DT were created to antagonize and bully the CMCs. Now that they're redeemed, Allspark completed their arcs, and the CMCs moved on. DT/SS aren't necessary anymore.

• Brohoof 5

I'm not sure why Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have been relegated to background characters since the former's reformation. Maybe the writers believe that there's nothing left they can do for them and decided to wash their hands of it. Or it could be that Chantal Strand--Diamond Tiara's voice actress--is busy with other commitments to be able to come in and record some dialogue. In any case, I'd like them to return as they still have much that needs exploring.

Maybe the voice actors have been busy with other projects and the creators of the show decided to simply put Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in the CMC episodes as voiceless cameos instead of removing them completely.

23 hours ago, 09MurphyM said:

Maybe the voice actors have been busy with other projects and the creators of the show decided to simply put Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in the CMC episodes as voiceless cameos instead of removing them completely.

That seems to apply with Chantal Strand only, since Shannon Chan-Kent landed some pretty good roles in pony lately :dash:

On 11/29/2018 at 9:20 AM, FearTheBelle said:

That is not how it works. Background ponies only exist to fill space and never do anything ever, except for one-off gags and one particular episode.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon actually had a part to play, they were important to the stories of central characters. Background ponies are and were important to nobody.

And that's exactly what DT and SS have transitioned into since Season 6, just like Twist since Season 2.

When do we see the schoolhouse at all anymore? I think the only time it showed up was when CMC was trying to get into the friendship school. Heck, with S8 we've practically moved away from Ponyville entirely.

Edited by BornAgainBrony