Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do we remember Thorax?

FlareGun45

(edited)

If you don't wanna read the down-below post - I'll ask you this now: what do you think of Thorax and his character arc? What were your favorite parts about him, or your criticisms? How about the interactions he's made?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thorax is one of my favorite characters in the series! He's so adorable, he opened the door to a huge amount of changeling development, and I for one had no issues with the new changeling designs! But Thorax has had so much story potential that wasn't used, and after season 7, he basically just turned into "just the king of the changelings", and Ocellus' guardian. 

Thorax... remember that changeling that was an outsider to his kind, much like Spike, which is probably the reason why Spike worked so hard to befriend him? Then with the help of Starlight, he became king, just like that without getting to know him a little more? He's also had a ton of troubles with rogue changelings that was resolved off-screen, except for his brother? I'm sure we can agree that the rogue changeling episode shoulda happened, but also, one other problem: I think he became king way too quickly. Like we had the episode introducing him and how he's different from other changelings, but we really shoulda had an episode that focused on Thorax getting to know Starlight a bit before joining her team, and also learn a bit about being a leader even BEFORE being king, so the idea can be foreshadowed. That woulda been a great opportunity for that well-needed Spike/Starlight episode too!

Speaking of which, Thorax hasn't really being interacting with those two in a long time. Especially Spike, the one who saved Thorax from being alone, and they only interact for like TWO episodes! While he interacts with Starlight for THREE, plus the S6 finale - which I still don't understand why Starlight stole Spike's changeling redemption arc. I'm really hoping the writers didn't forget about their friendship, because it's super unique, and gives Spike a well-needed break from the Mane 6. That's why Times Are Changeling was my favorite season 6 episode!

Regardless though, even though Thorax is a pretty cool character, he doesn't get used in the series as much as he should, and it's been a while since we seen more of him on than just being King of the Changelings. Let's not forget, he was once an outsider, lost and alone. It would be SO GREAT for all that to notified again before the series ends - especially for the conclusion to Spike's character arc, cause that was one of Spike's biggest highlights in the series!

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 2

I think Thorax is one of the more unique characters that has been introduced. Being the only regular changeling who was good/had scruples was an interesting start to him. Still having those tendencies of his species was a pretty interesting as well. Overcoming the hatred that Chrysalis had against him was a great move as well, and so was he becoming the King of the reformed changelings. It felt right making him the leader, as he stood up against Chrysalis. Since, the main part of his story arc has been being a good leader to his people and being a good example to Ocellus.

I agree that they should have played off the Spike basically saving him from persecution. Hopefully we get one before the end of the season, but i'm not going to hold my breath. I also agree that there should have been more episodes featuring Thorax and Starlight. But, one thing I wish they had one more of is an episode that revolves around Thorax and his brother Pharynx. I feel Pharynx's character could have done good with another appearance, but that's just a nitpick.

• Brohoof 1

Thorax is my favorite side character in the show, matching Discord, something I never would have thought possible prior to S6. He and the buggos have been my driving interest in the show and fandom for three years, to the point of having written two novels worth of fanfiction about them, and commissioning more than a dozen works around them.

Not only is he adorable beyond measure, he demonstrates a sensitive male character, characters who have historically either been seen as taboo or have been painted in a satire/mocking light. As society further recognizes the difference between masculinity and toxic masculinity, these characters are becoming more common, and that's fantastic, imo. Smolder (Dash and a few other characters, too) fullfill the exact same role from the female character perspective, but asides from Spike we have not seen this kind of character from this show, to this depth, before with males. And Spike, still being a kid/teenager, doesn't have the same impact, imo.

Don't even get me started on his voice. His VA has the cutest, most innocent, unassuming tone I've ever heard.

Thorax is cuter than Fluttershy, fight me, @Zoop:LunaMCM:

27 minutes ago, ~C. Discord~ said:

Thorax is cuter than Fluttershy, fight me, @Zoop:LunaMCM:

c'mon man gimme a break D:

I remember him. He was memorable and still is. I feel that he is very occupied with duties nowadays, like Ember. He has to direct the day to day minutiae of the kingdom, which is no small task. Basically think of that episode of Starlight and the sisters, but he's doing all of this. Less subjects, but still similar. He's busy, unfortunately

(edited)

Of Course I remember Thorax how could anyone  not  remember him he’s so cute and adorable.

i wonder if he’s able to do  powerful magic  like chrysalis can.

Edited by Twilight and Starlight

Heck yeah! Thorax and Discord are my two non-pony favorite characters!

Although when I was first saw Thorax I wished he had a stronger voice to make him seem more intimidating, yet maintain the same dialog.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't forget Thorax, Thorax's the new leader of the changelings. It's thanks to Spike for being his first friend and Starlight for helping him stop Crystalias, he became the new leader of the Changelings.

• Brohoof 1

He's the reason Changelings became my favorite non-pony race. Heck, my Avatar OC owns his existence to him from a real-life point of view.

• Brohoof 1

I think he has a better character arc than Starlight and Twilight. Maybe because he was lucky, maybe it's because the arc was relatively consistant during srasons, maybe because he wasn't 'marketable' as much as other fan favorites, so he wasn't involved in a fanservice episodes and only used when necessary as a story.

But lately, the show seems done with him, including many other characters. That's sad not just because I like Thorax, but because the whole show seems lost at doing things with characters in general. They either rehash an old idea or borrow ideas from the comics or common fan headcanans and make a lesser version of it, or try to make an original story only to completely contradict with the character's past and deconstruct the character in a bad way, or just fail to make characters interesting.

I really like Thorax. I didn’t like him much when he was a changeling but when he transformed, I fell in love. Why the change in feelings? I feel like his new design fits him much better. He just has a certain charm to him. He’s also just straight up adorable.

71096754-551E-47FD-8B3E-329A70DA7077.gif