Millennium Shadow

Technology Need help choosing a new computer

I've been thinking of buying a new computer for while now because my current one (a Dell all-in-one) is slow AF and it's hard and time-consuming to work on my projects and use the internet. It sometimes says that there isn't any internet, even though it's connected and my phone is using the internet connection just fine.

I've thought about getting a tower with Windows 10, with at least 1TB hard drive/memoy, more-than-enough of RAM, a good processor, etc. I also want a wireless keyboard and mouse and dual screens. I'd use one screen for my work and use the other for internet-surfing and/or using Discord.

Do any of your have any recommendations for the brand of computer? Should I go to Walmart or Best Buy?
I'm on a budget, so I need options that are less than $500.

Also, what can I do get my current and new computer to run as fast as possible and get rid of any/all viruses and shit?

Thanks. :squee:

(edited)

What kind of work would you be doing on it? That's important when picking out specs. Things like heavy video editing require something beefy, more than $500 can buy. And I don't know if you're comfortable doing this, but building your own PC is almost always cheaper and better in every regard than buying a prebuilt, but it's also more complicated, especially if you've never done it before. I don't know everything about building them, but I can certainly help and/or point you to good resources.

Also, I'd recommend an SSD over a Hard Drive. At the very least, an SSD that's large enough to hold your OS and a few programs that you use frequently is a really good idea. The speed increase is ridiculous. It's also more expensive, though. A good 500GB SSD costs about $80.

As for viruses, I'm not an expert on that side of things, but Malwarebytes is usually pretty good at catching mostly everything. After that you could look through the running processes in Task Manager and turn to Google if anything looks suspicious, like multiple instances of a process that should only have one (but some are supposed to have multiple, so don't go ending tasks and deleting files willy-nilly).

Getting an SSD and transferring your files over will make your computer feel so much faster, and you can still use the old Hard Drive to store all your files and stuff, as long as your PC has enough SATA cables. Prebuilts can be kind of iffy on that. I recommend Samsung SSD's. It's literally plug-and-play if you use their software. It saves all your passwords and everything, and it might even be enough of an upgrade that you feel you don't need a new PC, which would save a lot of money.

EDIT: Just realized your current PC is an all-in-one, so replacing the Hard Drive with an SSD might not actually be possible. Or maybe it is, but it would probably be pretty difficult, depending on how it's designed. Those can be tricky to work with.

Edited by Booker

20 minutes ago, Booker said:

What kind of work would you be doing on it?

I'll be doing video-editing, digital art, Photoshop, Blender, and maybe a few others.

And I'm okay with building my own PC, if it's cheaper.

Anything else you can help me with? :mlp_smile:

(edited)

EDIT: Just ignore this post and look at my next one. That one is about as good as you're gonna get for $500.

I'd definitely go with something with a good number of CPU cores and plenty of RAM, then. If you don't mind going last-gen to save money then the Ryzen 5 2600 is a good choice, but the Ryzen 7 2700 is actually at a really good price right now. Intel CPUs tend to be really expensive.

Actually, I might be thinking of a heavier work load than you really need. A Ryzen 3 3200G could be plenty for what you do. You know better how intensive your work is, so I'd recommend looking up benchmarks of the programs you use for different CPUs. It takes a lot of research, and the 2600 and 2700 might be out of your budget, depending on what deals you find.

As for GPU pairing, that's pretty CPU-specific. Whatever CPU you pick, just Google GPU pairings for it. I definitely wouldn't go any lower than an Nvidia GTX 1050 or an AMD RX 570, though.

And get a motherboard that has a high RAM capacity so you don't buy 32GB of RAM, only to find out the board only supports 16GB. A 4x8GB setup should give you a good amount, but again, look at benchmarks. And get RAM with higher clock speeds if you go with an AMD processor.

Make sure your PSU is rated at 80+ Bronze at least, and if your system is going to draw, let's say, 350 peak watts, get a 450 to 550 watt PSU. PC Part Picker is good for figuring that out, and it also tells you about any incompatibilities with parts you pick.

And get a good case! You don't have to spend $60 on one, but don't get the $15 Chinese stamped sheet-metal special that has razor-sharp edges.

I rambled a bit. Sorry about that :derp: It basically comes down to research, and a lot of it. PC Part Picker is your friend. It's a really useful website.

Edited by Booker

Ooh, this could actually be good for you. No research required. I don't know if 16GB of RAM is enough for you, though.

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Also, what can I do get my current and new computer to run as fast as possible and get rid of any/all viruses and shit?

Not possible!

... Really, not possible. Antivirus software makes computer slow. You have to deal with viruses manually, which is a huge task, like staying away from certain Internet activities, and using sandbox environments to run applications and extract data when those are needed.

Badges

7 hours ago, Splashee said:

Not possible!

... Really, not possible. Antivirus software makes computer slow. You have to deal with viruses manually, which is a huge task, like staying away from certain Internet activities, and using sandbox environments to run applications and extract data when those are needed.

So, how can I get rid of any/all viruses on my current computer?

Also, you said that antiviruses slow my computer. Are antiviruses not good investments? I'm a little confused, here. :confused: