Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's it like in your home country?

The Kaeya Simp

What is it like in your home country? like is it a nice place to live, or bad, or just eh.

as in terms of my home country,

is usually very cold, wet and windy, under an occupation by England (and having south of country being fully incorporated into england) where we're proud of being scottish but mostly all want to leave before the country falls apart

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Princess ❤️f Hearts💙💛 said:

Wow why all the hate for England loool :(

Not hate for the English people, though the hate for England as a concept is reasonable considdering England and the celts have had a bit of bad blood (obligatory Taylor Swift reference aside)

• Brohoof 1

The USA is a place of celebrity worship, debts and corruption. Where money is more important than people. Where people have to choose to die financially or die entirely. A place where homelessness and struggle is allowed to be rampant, but more money to bomb other countries is always needed. We have a population that will spam the US flag at every possible place and yet are entirely unwilling to fight for anything to get better. There is actually heaps of culture that each state has, but all of it is buried under mountains of trash. I would prefer Indiana leave it and pave the way for more state individuality but hell would have to freeze over several times before anything like that could ever happen. Instead we are lumped into the mass of "america". Of course, having this type of opinion is often frowned upon, but I can't lie to myself. 

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

The USA is a place of celebrity worship, debts and corruption. Where money is more important than people. Where people have to choose to die financially or die entirely. A place where homelessness and struggle is allowed to be rampant, but more money to bomb other countries is always needed. We have a population that will spam the US flag at every possible place and yet are entirely unwilling to fight for anything to get better. There is actually heaps of culture that each state has, but all of it is buried under mountains of trash. I would prefer Indiana leave it and pave the way for more state individuality but hell would have to freeze over several times before anything like that could ever happen. Instead we are lumped into the mass of "america". Of course, having this type of opinion is often frowned upon, but I can't lie to myself. 

^ accurate

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

We have a population that will spam the US flag at every possible place and yet are entirely unwilling to fight for anything to get better.

Or a population that will bitch and moan about everything and yet be equally unwilling to fight for anything to get better. :yeahno:

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Or a population that will bitch and moan about everything and yet be equally unwilling to fight for anything to get better. :yeahno:

What do you propose :wacko: ?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, WWolf said:

What do you propose?

What, you mean to make the country better?

Well as far as @Kyoshi's gripes with American society and culture and all that, there is a modicum of truth to that. Your stereotypical American is fat and vapid and superficial and obsessed with celebrities and money and all that. And while there are certainly some people like that, I'm afraid that they're simply the loud majority. If you only saw America through the lens of social media and twitter you'd think that, but in reality a lot of people are quite considerate and friendly. They're just quieter than the obnoxious ones.

Homelessness and unemployment is a real issue though, and I'm glad they touched on that, because it's something that I feel strongly needs to be addressed, perhaps slashing the defense budget. Of course there's a lot of reasons why I think a smaller defense budget is a good thing, but this is coming from the viewpoint of a soldier, not a general, Secretary of State, or President. There's only so much of the big picture I can see from down here.

I propose people actually educate themselves before jumping on the media bandwagon of hating x thing about America. It's a very easy country to hate, yes, and it's got no shortage of flaws, but that too often eclipses what good there actually is in the country. The fact that we're allowed to discuss politics, criticize the government freely, use social media sites at all and vote for our leaders is something that some people in other countries would die for. If you don't like how the country is, that's fine. Educate yourself on why the country is the way it is, and make an educated vote when it comes time to vote. Propose bills to your local representative. Or if you really don't like the States, you can move to a different country.

Be glad you weren't born in North Korea or China.

• Brohoof 6

What I like or dislike will be someone else's likes or dislikes. So what is it like, I mean Iceland can be pretty nice honestly we have a moderate climate which I'm sure few people expect basically it means it's never too warm here or too cold really. Though as someone who loves the warmth I don't like the moderation of it but it is better then cold weather though. Living however is horrible, everything you can possibly find in stores elsewhere multiply that by two if not more so a lot of people will see the wages here and not realize that even though it would be considered a high wage elsewhere it is at best enough to live with. Incentive to work here is not good at all as taxes are so high that it makes more sense to work the minimum amount of hours needed to just live as anything more then that and you're basically working for the government not gaining anything from it. So a lot of people here just work endless hours just to get by as they have to because everything is so expensive. Iceland has the highest rate of anti depressants and anxiety people here generally are not that happy with their lives and most of us try to get educated so we can escape to other countries for a chance of a better life. Suicide rates are high, lot of people here I know feel miserable and hate it most if not everyone tries to get out of here as much as possible. You have governments here that only work for themselves, people here can't afford to move out as the price of housing is so expensive so you have to be really rich to be able to think about trying it. Most people in Iceland live just above poverty but plenty live in poverty, most of that poverty is simply because the country is too expensive for us to live. In Iceland there are those who have everything and then those that have nothing. That said though, nice thing about living in Icelands population and we are very patriotic with a great sense of us rich heritage we also have very beautiful people here so you can have literally models feeling insecure about how ugly they are while if they lived in America they'd be a ten out of ten which makes us incredibly picky. While personally I prefer Hungarian women. There is also the car culture here which is great, some really interesting builds and a lot of motorsports also the truck culture here is great also it is nice how Icelanders aren't trying to be friendly or talkative. We know we want to be alone so we do that.

• Brohoof 3

35 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

This thread asked a question and I answered that question. You want to give a far more positive response? Go right ahead, nobody is stopping you. 

14 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

I propose people actually educate themselves before jumping on the media bandwagon of hating x thing about America. It's a very easy country to hate, yes, and it's got no shortage of flaws, but that too often eclipses what good there actually is in the country. The fact that we're allowed to discuss politics, criticize the government freely, use social media sites at all and vote for our leaders is something that some people in other countries would die for. If you don't like how the country is, that's fine. Educate yourself on why the country is the way it is, and make an educated vote when it comes time to vote. Propose bills to your local representative.

Except we've seen time and time again that putting forth any kind of "bills" or whatever doesn't mean anything anymore. Everyone is so divided that nothing gets done. Not to mention, what we all think, the average person, it doesn't matter here. Let's say what we put forth actually did matter to these politicians, my state is deeply republican and overall I have a huge amount of disdain towards that party. So that means anything I could ever suggest or vote for would never be considered because Indiana is far right controlled. That's exactly why I "bitch and moan" as you put it, because that's literally the only fucking thing I can do.  Expressing my opinions and thoughts and critizing what damn well needs to be criticized. If you don't like that, well, that is your problem, not mine. Just because you gave up your right to criticize your own government doesn't mean I have to stay silent. 

Or if you really don't like the States, you can move to a different country.

I can't believe people are still making this statement. "If you don't like everything that is horribly wrong with this country, then just leave!" Yeah, because actually wanting things to get better is a stupid idea and not something that should be promoted.

Be glad you weren't born in North Korea or China.

If that's the level we have to compare ourselves to justify ourselves, then geez. I don't have to say much else.

I didn't post in this thread for a debate in the first place, but the supposed most hardcore, "freedom loving americans" really love to get bent out of shape if I dare share an opinion like this. If you really want we can continue this discussion elsewhere, but I'm rather apathetic towards the idea.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Princess ❤️f Hearts💙💛 said:

I've always felt that the UK was stronger together. Divided, we are all weak. 

I think the UK can't last much longer (Scotland or Occupied Ireland would be the first to have issues and always are)

I think that we'd be able to be closer, if we were separate

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

This thread asked a question and I answered that question. You want to give a far more positive response? Go right ahead, nobody is stopping you. 

Um. I did. Thanks for the suggestion. ^^

Except we've seen time and time again that putting forth any kind of "bills" or whatever doesn't mean anything anymore. Everyone is so divided that nothing gets done. Not to mention, what we all think, the average person, it doesn't matter here. Let's say what we put forth actually did matter to these politicians, my state is deeply republican and overall I have a huge amount of disdain towards that party. So that means anything I could ever suggest or vote for would never be considered because Indiana is far right controlled.

Spoken like a person who's never spoken to a Congressman. They're far more accepting and open-minded than you give them credit for.

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

That's exactly why I "bitch and moan" as you put it, because that's literally the only fucking thing I can do.  Expressing my opinions and thoughts and criticizing what damn well needs to be criticized. If you don't like that, well, that is your problem, not mine.

Exactly. And me pointing out that all some people do is express their opinions and criticize without attempting to make things better is my opinion, and that's something that I can point out.

3 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Just because you gave up your right to criticize your own government doesn't mean I have to stay silent.

Um. I didn't give up my right to criticize shit, hun. I haven't been indoctrinated or anything stupid like that either, I've formed my own opinions about our government based on what I've seen. I can recognize their failings and criticize appropriately.

What planet do you live on where you think Soldiers can't criticize the government? A good chunk of a Soldier's life is criticizing the government, because their choices directly influence our lives. We just don't feel the need to do it every time we open our mouths.

5 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I can't believe people are still making this statement. "If you don't like everything that is horribly wrong with this country, then just leave!"

Spoken like someone who's never heard about the Korean DMZ or the Berlin Wall.

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

If that's the level we have to compare ourselves to, then geez. I don't have to say much else.

Here's an idea - get out of your own little bubble of ignorance and look at what's actually going on in other countries. Perhaps take a history lesson while you're at it. You have so many freedoms that people living in China, South Africa, North Korea, and other communist or dictatorial states don't have.

I'm not saying you can't exercise your right to criticize the government, but maybe you should be a little bit more grateful and a little bit less, as you said, bent out of shape.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Um. I did. Thanks for the suggestion. ^^

You should have just done that and be done with it. I already told you, if you really want to do this, then we take it elsewhere instead of clogging this thread up. 

• Brohoof 1

You should have just done that and be done with it. I already told you, if you really want to do this, then we take it elsewhere instead of clogging this thread up. 

Nah, you're right. This thread already reeks of ignorance.

• Brohoof 3

As for someone that actually likes the USA, I find it to be a place where people are kind if you are to them. With such a diverse population (in everything from race, background, and values), it really depends on where you are. If you go to a small town in the south, you’ll find the nicest people you’ll ever meet. If you go to downtown New York City, you will not. So I can’t really say what kind of people you’ll find here because you’ll find just about every type of person. As for the media though, it’s broken. I think we can all agree on that. Very rarely does what I hear on the news actually represent the full truth. If you’d watch the news about this country, you’d think it was a shitstorm as @Meson Bolt said. And as @Kyoshi said, it’s generally considered that we do like money. We have a lot of nice people but asking for money is frowned upon and if you do, you’re expected to pay it back as soon as you can. Also if you do something for someone, they will likely try to pay you. It’s seen as common courtesy. It’s not to a point of greediness but again it depends on where you are. We are also very patriotic with our flags and such. Something else you’d find different here is our government system. Mainly the relationship between the state government and federal government. Because of this and our checks and balances system, things take a while. To most of us, we find the government to be pretty useless and going to a government run organization is horrible because of how slow it will be. As for weather, take your pick. We have just about every climate. So in conclusion there is something in the USA for everyone. It’s certainly not a perfect country but it’s one I’m proud to be a part of. Don’t take the media’s word as truth. You’re not gonna get here and get shot by an AR-15. And if you know how to work hard and be a valued member of society, you’ll probably do just fine here. Just try not to get involved with anything illegal cause you don’t want to got to prison here. Also don’t do anything stupid. Our heathcare is generally very good but it’s expensive. :sealed: There are ways around that but you can cross that bridge if you come to it.

Edited by Sliding Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

America has its problems, but those are problems that can (hopefully) be fixed in time. Even in its current state, though, I'm glad I don't live anywhere else. As was already said, the majority of Americans are actually great people. To know that, however, you have to not blindly accept what the media says, and you have to see the world for yourself. Our media is one of the things that needs fixing. Can we go back to important subjects covering the front pages? Can we stop borderline lying to make stories fit with our political views and give every story fair coverage? And try to throw in a little positivity here and there so people's view on the world isn't always so bleak.

• Brohoof 2

I'll just say this one last thing on this subject; Take literally everything I say with the tiniest grain of salt, because nothing I say actually matters anyway. What I say has no effect on anything in the world whatsoever so when I express my opinions, that's all it is. Just me saying words. So please don't take what I say as a total show of my character, because I fully acknowledge that what I say has no impact and I have no intention on trying to change anything ever with my words. A stupid pile of shit like me has no influence on anything.

• Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Nah, you're right. This thread already reeks of ignorance.

On the contrary it's just people sharing their opinions. That's all it is. No one is right and no one is wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

WOw , I thought the  comments would be like ..

Well.. I'm from Greece . It's really nice here . I like the weather ( It 's hot in the summer ,cold in the winter ) . I don't like the economy here and the politics it's all crazy . I 'm still studying and work as a freelancer but soon I'll have to work .-. Most people and the young generation chose to work abroad , in Germany or smth

Put aside all the negative political BS and this country is the greatest to reside in I firmly believe. We have freedoms other countries could only dream of having. I'm proud to call myself an American. I love my country and the history surrounding it. :sassy: 

• Brohoof 6

Sweden is great. Has a lot of nature and you are free to go almost everywhere. The people of Sweden are usually considered cold and boring, which is true.

@Lucky Bolt@Booker@Sliding Bolt Often I feel like America is somewhat more scrutinized then other countries perhaps as America is the golden standard for the world. It is a country others aspire to become like, which means of course that America is held at a higher standard then other countries. Which is why American politics, which should be only American politics suddenly become worlds politics. I feel like the media also tries to portray America as something they are not, know enough Americans to know that they are great people and I personally love American culture, their history as like any other country it is a great story and America is unique when it comes to all the freedoms that the constitution provides you with. Though in my opinion, I feel like Americans don't really appreciate their own constitution whether you agree with everything or not you can't disagree with the fact that it is a good constitution and prove of that is that it is the oldest constitution in the world. America was built on an idea, this idea is what unites Americans as one nation. Media tries instead to divide the population, Americans focus more on what they disagree on rather then what they agree on which is freedom and liberties are important to the world. Iceland looks up to America, in fact we are a lot like mini America we base our country on many of the same ideas, beliefs and values as America. We also realize of all the nations in the world America is our one true ally, during both world wars America has supported Iceland we have done so in return it is thanks to America that Iceland became the richest country in the world. So I believe like any country, there are things that we dislike and like but honestly the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are things in America that could and should be improved same is true anywhere in the world, if you truly want to live in a perfect country you'd live in the Faroe Islands.

• Brohoof 3

Eh, why's there so many people with Bolt in their name :o

1 hour ago, Super Splashee said:

Sweden is great. Has a lot of nature and you are free to go almost everywhere. The people of Sweden are usually considered cold and boring, which is true.

Oooo I thought Sweden was known for having a high happiness and standard of living among the population.

I would totally love to live somewhere like that, though I've heard that there's really high taxes and a high cost of living.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Put aside all the negative political BS and this country is the greatest to reside in I firmly believe. We have freedoms other countries could only dream of having. I'm proud to call myself an American. I love my country and the history surrounding it. :sassy: 

Hell yes sister! 

• Brohoof 1