Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stress is good for you

Sparkleberry

Its more that some cant handle amount of pressure as good as other people. But actual stress is healthy. I mean imagine ponies, they get stress and blood cycles in their bellies all around the day thinking of all the stuff happening. And that increases their vitality. Same with humans. If people were too relaxed then what happens is if someone annoys you, you will handle it worse than if you are on the edge. Which is why you should always listen to Avril Lavigne and play Sonic Heroes on PS2. And not listen to ASMR or Adele- Hello. Music or stuff with literal zero energy.

Its ok to take a break sometimes.. but dont make it into a habit.. Thats all i am saying.

Just look at this. This is energy :o

Stress get me to do things right away, but I hate having stress in general. I rather be stress-free.

• Brohoof 1

tenor.gif

Umm... no. That's not how that works at all. xD

What you're probably referring to is the immediate effects of reacting to a stressful situation. Stress can be great for increased physical ability; it can excite your body, increase blood flow and heart rate, release fuels into your bloodstream, and increase muscle tension. This is great for reacting to in-the-moment stressors, like accidents such as car crashes or fires. As your body responds to a "fight or flight" situation, you can gain a genuine positive benefit to being stressed out.

But long-term exposure to stress brings about all sorts of problems. Having your muscles tense for long periods of time causes pain and muscle atrophy. Higher blood pressure can lead to gastrointestinal problems and headaches. And a higher heart rate can lead to immune system deficiency and all the nasty things that brings.

It's important to realize what stressors you encounter, how your body responds to them, and whether or not it's an appropriate response. It's also important to relieve stress too, as staying stressed for really long can lead to physiological and psychological issues like depression or substance abuse.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, TBD said:

Stress get me to do things right away, but I hate having stress in general. I rather be stress-free.

Its what keeps you alive and healthy. You may hate it but its really good for you. Its only a problem if its problems you needs to solve. Once it is solved its not such a difficulty anymore :)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparkleberry said:

Its what keeps you alive and healthy. You may hate it but its really good for you. Its only a problem if its problems you needs to solve. Once it is solved its not such a difficulty anymore :)

Couldn’t agree more. The feeling of being relieved from stress is the best feeling and rewarding :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Meson Bolt said:

tenor.gif

Umm... no. That's not how that works at all. xD

What you're probably referring to is the immediate effects of reacting to a stressful situation. Stress can be great for increased physical ability; it can excite your body, increase blood flow and heart rate, release fuels into your bloodstream, and increase muscle tension. This is great for reacting to in-the-moment stressors, like accidents such as car crashes or fires. As your body responds to a "fight or flight" situation, you can gain a genuine positive benefit to being stressed out.

But long-term exposure to stress brings about all sorts of problems. Having your muscles tense for long periods of time causes pain and muscle atrophy. Higher blood pressure can lead to gastrointestinal problems and headaches. And a higher heart rate can lead to immune system deficiency and all the nasty things that brings.

It's important to realize what stressors you encounter, how your body responds to them, and whether or not it's an appropriate response. It's also important to relieve stress too, as staying stressed for really long can lead to physiological and psychological issues like depression or substance abuse.

One example why stress is good. You work hard. And in summer you see some punks. You use the almighty coca cola and get reward for the hardwork.. Now that is good :)

Just now, TBD said:

Couldn’t agree more. The feeling of being relieved from stress is the best feeling and rewarding :LunaMCM:

I totally agree with you!

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

But actual stress is healthy.

That is completely wrong. Human (and not only human) bodies have evolved to have this "emergency mode" - if you are chased by a predator etc, it is better to operate the body in a way that is unhealthy in the long term, but would allow you to run faster etc to give you a better chance of survival in the short term. It's kind-of like landing an aircraft that has too much weight - the landing gear may be damaged, but flying some more to burn up (or dump) extra fuel could be even more dangerous (let's say there is a file or one engine has failed etc), so you rather take the smaller damage to reduce the chance of more damage.

Same here, when you need to run away from a guy with a knife, it does not matter if some parts of your body get damaged in the process - getting stabbed would be even worse.

However, that system never evolved to be on all the time and this is what stress is. You are continuously damaging your body to perform slightly better.

OTOH, what you show in the video is not stress - Pinkie is excited and happy. Example of stress would be Twilight in Lesson Zero (by the end she can't even think straight) or, well, Twilight in a bunch of other episodes.

• Brohoof 2

One example why stress is good. You work hard. And in summer you see some punks. You use the almighty coca cola and get reward for the hardwork.. Now that is good

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

As someone who regularly gets stressed out (I'm a U.S. Soldier), I can confirm that stress is both good and bad. It's good for short-term in-the-moment bursts of energy, but really bad if you're exposed to it long-term.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

That is completely wrong. Human (and not only human) bodies have evolved to have this "emergency mode" - if you are chased by a predator etc, it is better to operate the body in a way that is unhealthy in the long term, but would allow you to run faster etc to give you a better chance of survival in the short term. It's kind-of like landing an aircraft that has too much weight - the landing gear may be damaged, but flying some more to burn up (or dump) extra fuel could be even more dangerous (let's say there is a file or one engine has failed etc), so you rather take the smaller damage to reduce the chance of more damage.

Same here, when you need to run away from a guy with a knife, it does not matter if some parts of your body get damaged in the process - getting stabbed would be even worse.

However, that system never evolved to be on all the time and this is what stress is. You are continuously damaging your body to perform slightly better.

OTOH, what you show in the video is not stress - Pinkie is excited and happy. Example of stress would be Twilight in Lesson Zero (by the end she can't even think straight) or, well, Twilight in a bunch of other episodes.

There was an actual norwegian TV show talking about this. Saying nomads lived healthier than people who settled down interms of farming environment. Because they hunted, ate when needed. And when farming people happend, thats why the teeth got shaped the way we have it today. So i dont agree with you. I understand that there is a limit, and pressure is real. But i dont agree when people say stress is bad, stress is part of human nature and it helps it alot to keep it healthy if you use it correctly. Its a matter of time and when. But in general, its the best thing to rely on after you got your problems solved in whatever you need to do, goals etc

Edited by Sparkleberry

tumblr_opslgePm9t1uhwowco1_400.gifv

Stress is a pain in the backside and I get more done when I'm relaxed without hazards keep popping up and getting under my feet when I'm trying to get things done properly at a pace that doesn't damage my health.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

tumblr_opslgePm9t1uhwowco1_400.gifv

Stress is a pain in the backside and I get more done when I'm relaxed without hazards keep popping up and getting under my feet when I'm trying to get things done properly at a pace that doesn't damage my health.

Problem lies in people are too attune to relaxing than putting themself in a state of pressure. Example is Charles Brosnon movies. This guy looks healthy AF in this movie. And he was like 50 years old or something. Just to compare

1:53

Edited by Sparkleberry

Problem lies in people are too attune to relaxing than putting themself in a state of pressure. Example is Charles Brosnon movies. This guy looks healthy AF in this movie. And he was like 50 years old or something. Just to compare

Dude stop. All you're doing is posting random movie or TV show clips that have no relevance to what you're talking about, and you're spreading misinformation. This is harmful. There are children on this site and they might believe this nonsense.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Treeglow Flicker said:

Pretty sure that my life of dealing with stressful situations is enough to warrant my position that stress is not good for me.

Problem is i think its a huge myth going around. Reason people saying stress isnt good is because their pressure level is too low.. and thats why they choose relaxation over actually using their body to cycle it in a way where it benefits them

2 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

Problem is i think its a huge myth going around. Reason people saying stress isnt good is because their pressure level is too low.. and thats why they choose relaxation over actually using their body to cycle it in a way where it benefits them

Sorry fam, but no. I spent 9 months in a foreign country snuggled up to the world's most unhinged nuclear-capable regime, and I can confidently say that a "high pressure level" isn't good for you.

I'm all for exercise, I'm all for circulating blood, burning fat and keeping yourself healthy, but when you're touting half-truths this dangerous, you're being very harmful and dangerous.

You need to stop.

• Brohoof 1

It's not a myth. Overworking makes people ill. Emotional trauma makes people ill. Anything in general that causes undue amounts of pressure makes people ill. A relaxed mind and emotionally sound stability is what gets people through stressful situations. Relaxation is a counter for stress. Without relaxation, stress devours you and makes you ill not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. And there are A LOT of people who can back that up. Myself included.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Meson Bolt said:

Sorry fam, but no. I spent 9 months in a foreign country snuggled up to the world's most unhinged nuclear-capable regime, and I can confidently say that a "high pressure level" isn't good for you.

I'm all for exercise, I'm all for circulating blood, burning fat and keeping yourself healthy, but when you're touting half-truths this dangerous, you're being very harmful and dangerous.

You need to stop.

What about people who are on drugs and are too relaxed, they handle stuff worse than healthy people. I think its that is way more dangerous than being in high mental stress level. Overdoing it is bad. But yeah

3 minutes ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

It's not a myth. Overworking makes people ill. Emotional trauma makes people ill. Anything in general that causes undue amounts of pressure makes people ill. A relaxed mind and emotionally sound stability is what gets people through stressful situations. Relaxation is a counter for stress. Without relaxation, stress devours you and makes you ill not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. And there are A LOT of people who can back that up. Myself included.

Emotional trauma is part of life. It sucks. Thats why getting too calm is dangerous.

What about people who are on drugs and are too relaxed, they handle stuff worse than healthy people. I think its that is way more dangerous than being in high mental stress level. Overdoing it is bad. But yeah

Emotional trauma is part of life. It sucks. Thats why getting too calm is dangerous.

You are talking about things which you do not understand.

You. Need. To. Stop.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Sparkleberry said:

Because they hunted, ate when needed.

So, more excercise? The "overdrive mode" is not healthy.

11 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

One example why stress is good. You work hard.

This also depends - because the response to stress is to increase the blood flow to the muscles, it results in less blood to the brain and my job requires my brain more than it requires my muscles. So, if I feel rushed etc, I will make more mistakes and may even end up like Twilight in Lesson Zero (except much more angry).

How about you ask a doctor? I have.

But, if you want pressure, well, you can always create some for yourself - never save any money, always put things off to right before the deadline etc. 

Just now, Sparkleberry said:

What about people who are on drugs and are too relaxed, they handle stuff worse than healthy people

Because drugs screw up the internal chemistry more than being on stress all the time does. I can always counter by saying what about the people who live in a warzone? I'm pretty sure being constantly afraid of getting killed is so great for ones health, right? Maybe that's why the people in forced labor camps are so healthy.

What? According to you, I should never get calm because something bad may happen and I may get emotional trauma? What do you think would happen if whatever bad event happened when I was NOT calm to begin with?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Pentium100 said:

So, more excercise? The "overdrive mode" is not healthy.

This also depends - because the response to stress is to increase the blood flow to the muscles, it results in less blood to the brain and my job requires my brain more than it requires my muscles. So, if I feel rushed etc, I will make more mistakes and may even end up like Twilight in Lesson Zero (except much more angry).

How about you ask a doctor? I have.

But, if you want pressure, well, you can always create some for yourself - never save any money, always put things off to right before the deadline etc. 

Because drugs screw up the internal chemistry more than being on stress all the time does. I can always counter by saying what about the people who live in a warzone? I'm pretty sure being constantly afraid of getting killed is so great for ones health, right? Maybe that's why the people in forced labor camps are so healthy.

Forced labour camps is a form of abuse though. You are stuck in a place.

Interms of overdrive. In Kingdom Hearts 2 there is "Drive forms" if that counts, using your mind and spirit to fight :)

(edited)

Stress puts a toll on the body.  I wouldn’t say that’s healthy.  Look at the pictures of the presidents before their election and after for example.  

Getting rid of it is healthy, depending on the method you do it,  but the stress itself.  Nah.  

My default emotion is stress, I’m in therapy trying to learn ways to cope, and get rid of this, and it can just be overwhelming.  Sometimes stress can even cause you to make bad decisions. 

It isn’t healthy.  I’d pay big money to never feel stress again.  Of course it’s not possible to never feel stress, but it is not a healthy emotion.  There’s no benefit to it, you benefit by getting rid of it in healthy ways. 

Edited by AppleButt
  • Brohoof 3

43 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

But actual stress is healthy.

Everything is needed, in order to live. But stress is mostly negative. Being pushed into the corner, feeling stressed, has never been healthy.

Learning to deal with stress is important.

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps the reason why people turn to drugs is because of stress. Have you even taken a second to consider that before passing such a judgement on them?

As for emotional trauma. I've lived through watching my parents die of cancer, being right there with them from beginning to end and having to deal wth the aftermath. Months of it. Don't tell me that emotional trauma is a part of life. I am more than bloody aware of that. And that is the only fairly recent stuff I've had to deal with. Telling me that being too calm in those situations is a bad thing? Staying calm and keeping a relaxed mindset is what got me through it!

Now I suggest you think very carefully before responding to what I just said.

Quite frankly, I hope this topic gets locked.

• Brohoof 2