Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Do you guys use two factor authentication on anything?

Muffinnz

I mean it depends really, if someone knows your password it might be but honestly I'm of the opinion that it is not necessary. Of course if you have something on your phone or computer that someone knows the password too but you had some stuff on it you don't want someone you know to have access to then it makes sense to do so. 

If however it is illegal, then it is well known that a simple four digit code makes it almost impossible to access. So two times that would be impossible, in fact most times you need a backdoor to access it and thats why it is thought nsa had amd and intel have backdoors added to the cpus, problem with that is it means everyone can use that. Therefore it wouldn't necessarily be able to keep those unwanted people out, but that would never be something they actually would implement. So you know I say rather have a four digit code and after certain many attempts to delete everything that would be the best encryption but the true encryption depends on the morals of the manufacturers and besides they've probably already sold out your data anyway so all it's good for is keeping people from looking into your phone haha.

So I personally do not hehe.

I use a code generator to connect to the bank and a few services (Google and some others) have the option of sending SMS for authentication, I use that option.

I thought about implementing sms with my servers (those that are accessible from outside), but I would have a problem if the sms device failed or there was some other problem sending it. I may still do it eventually though.

I like the code generator of the bank, but I have not found a cheap one to use with my own stuff.

Edited by Pentium100

I use it on any service where it's supported. As much as I know it's not a good idea I still tend to put all my eggs in one basket (with things like email, PayPal etc) so it would REALLY suck if someone managed to hack them. To me it's a minor inconvenience for much more added peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if I really have to. It's definitely more secure than just a password, but I hate the hassle of having to look up the token in my phone just to log in somewhere. I already use unique, generated passwords for every website and application of note, so I really don't care to use 2fa if I'm not forced to.

I do it based on how valuable I perceive the account to be - so my bank and paypal, definitely, but not LI, twitter or farcebook because I honestly don't care that much about them.

I do use it for Gmail though because quite a few accounts can reset via there.

Yeah I use two-factor authentication for logging into either of my google accounts. I'm not sure how helpful it would be if a hacker was really determined to get into my accounts, but my co-worker said his two-factor authentication stopped some hacking company from China from getting into his account, so idk, maybe it does help a bit. :dash: